German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Basic Care (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/basic-care/)
-   -   Human vitamins for dogs (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/basic-care/394890-human-vitamins-dogs.html)

halo2013 01-12-2014 11:09 AM

Human vitamins for dogs
 
A lady had come into the er where I work complaining her dog was poisoned by eating one of her vitamins. (I love the ones that know more then drs)

From er Dr here's the answer to that.

Vitamins and Supplements can be either harmful or benficial to dogs. Just as in humans, each dog is different and there are differences in genetics and chemistry. That old saying; "one man's medicine is another man's poison" is applicable. However, unless a dog consumed large quantities of a vitamin or supplement it is unlikely there will be any significant harm. If a large quantity of any substance is ingested, in either a human or animal, toxicity is possible and depending on the substance, consequences may vary.

Mary Beth 01-12-2014 05:50 PM

Very helpful to keep in mind and save a trip to the er - thanks!

halo2013 01-12-2014 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mary Beth (Post 4822058)
Very helpful to keep in mind and save a trip to the er - thanks!

Your welcome

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

halo2013 01-12-2014 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mary Beth (Post 4822058)
Very helpful to keep in mind and save a trip to the er - thanks!

I posted a pet poisonhotline link that has a.list of toxicity to dogs and cats. Remember its high doses. But its helpful


Sent from Petguide.com Free App

MadLab 01-12-2014 07:14 PM

You say, a lady said her "dog was poisoned by eating one of her vitamins".

Do you agree with that. Did the 'doctor' agree with the lady or suspect something else which 'poisoned' the dog?

Did a vitamin tablet really poison a dog?

Did it die from it?

What vitamin are you talking about?

Did it eat one dose or many doses?

halo2013 01-12-2014 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MadLab (Post 4822402)
You say, a lady said her "dog was poisoned by eating one of her vitamins".

Do you agree with that. Did the 'doctor' agree with the lady or suspect something else which 'poisoned' the dog?

Did a vitamin tablet really poison a dog?

Did it die from it?

What vitamin are you talking about?

Did it eat one dose or many doses?

She said it ate 1 vitamin tablet and then a few days later her dog started going into organ failure. The Dr suspects the dog got into something life threatening.

I agree with him. I fully trust this Dr. But she swore up and down that it was the vitamin it was vitamin c.

The dog is actually still alive. Hrs on fluids. And blood work proved there was no high elevation in vitamin c to poison it.

High doses of vitamins can be highly unhealthy or life theathening. But that's HIGH doses.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

GatorBytes 01-12-2014 07:36 PM

Maybe it was a flinstone vitamin or some gummy brand that contained Xylitol.

Edit: I see you mention vit. C. again, some chewable brands (big pharma made) may have Xylitol (artificial sweetener) in it.

MadLab 01-12-2014 07:43 PM

Quote:

And blood work proved there was no high elevation in vitamin c to poison it.
So the one tablet of Vit C was not the culprit in the suspected 'poisoning' of the dog.

Quote:

High doses of vitamins can be highly unhealthy or life theathening. But that's HIGH doses.
For your information Vitamin C is water soluble so is passed in a dogs urine. That's why it is so good at cleaning the Bladder etc and treating UTI's. This makes it virtually impossible to actually cause any damage. A sign of over doing the Vit C is diarrhea. I would think many grams need to be ingested to cause this.

I've given plenty of it to my dogs without any problem. I use a high quality powdered form.

halo2013 01-12-2014 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MadLab (Post 4822594)
So the one tablet of Vit C was not the culprit in the suspected 'poisoning' of the dog.

For your information Vitamin C is water soluble so is passed in a dogs urine. That's why it is so good at cleaning the Bladder etc and treating UTI's. This makes it virtually impossible to actually cause any damage. A sign of over doing the Vit C is diarrhea. I would think many grams need to be ingested to cause this.

I've given plenty of it to my dogs without any problem. I use a high quality powdered form.

No it wasn't vitamin c that caused it. Hes still waiting on more test results. I'm stuck on this case because whatever it was hit her dog like a freight train.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

onyx'girl 01-12-2014 08:03 PM

Yes, some human vitamins contain Xylitol and are toxic to dogs....but most natural vitamins are safe. I use human grade vitamins for my dogs and no problems whatsoever. It's always best to research whatever you are giving, and the reason for it.
DogAware.com: Supplements for Dogs


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:53 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2