Fish Oil or Pills?? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2014, 12:29 AM   #1 (permalink)
Crowned Member
 
llombardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Illinois
Posts: 8,338
Question Fish Oil or Pills??

Can dogs take fish pills? Someone told me that wouldn't be beneficial to them and the oil on the food is what should be used. They said its better to work from the outside in and not vice versa. Is that true? Can pills work? How is it determined how much to give if it can be given?
__________________
Misty- Samoyed Mix
Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- German Shepherd CGC, TC
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-12-2014, 08:13 AM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
halo2013's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 261
Default

Yes dogs can take fish oil pills. I use them for my shepherd when we are out of vitamin e

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
__________________
LVT. N.Latham
halo2013 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2014, 08:16 AM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
halo2013's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 261
Default

I give halo 1 pill 3x a day when she's not taking vitamin e.
I can semi understand where whoever told you that was coming from. I give halo vitamin e oil I out it in every bowl of food and water. Sometimes it works faster. But there's nothing wrong with pilling either.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
__________________
LVT. N.Latham
halo2013 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2014, 08:41 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member
 
Jax08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NNE PA
Posts: 22,006
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by llombardo View Post
Can dogs take fish pills? Someone told me that wouldn't be beneficial to them and the oil on the food is what should be used. They said its better to work from the outside in and not vice versa. Is that true? Can pills work? How is it determined how much to give if it can be given?
I use the fish oil capsules and just use a tack to poke a hole in it to squirt on the food, then throw the rest of the capsule in the bowl.


If you give fish oil, make sure to give vitamin E. I give 400 iu daily with fish oil. I've heard of giving as much as 800 iu, I assume depending on the amount of fish oil you give? But vitamin E is not water soluble so can build up in their system if given to much. So I stick with the 400 iu and 2000 mg of fish oil for Jax.
__________________
Jax
Seger vom Sitz von der Hose

Forever loved and missed.....Banshee

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2014, 08:44 AM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
halo2013's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 261
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
I use the fish oil capsules and just use a tack to poke a hole in it to squirt on the food, then throw the rest of the capsule in the bowl.


If you give fish oil, make sure to give vitamin E. I give 400 iu daily with fish oil. I've heard of giving as much as 800 iu, I assume depending on the amount of fish oil you give? But vitamin E is not water soluble so can build up in their system if given to much. So I stick with the 400 iu and 2000 mg of fish oil for Jax.
Exactly fish oil only goes so far. Vitamin e is made for skin nails and hair. Never thought of putting a whole in the capsule tho. Good idea

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
__________________
LVT. N.Latham
halo2013 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2014, 08:51 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member
 
Jax08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NNE PA
Posts: 22,006
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by halo2013 View Post
Exactly fish oil only goes so far. Vitamin e is made for skin nails and hair. Never thought of putting a whole in the capsule tho. Good idea

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

No Vitamin E is given because if you don't it will cause a vitamin e deficiency. Their bodies, and ours, use vitamin e to process the omega 3's. If you supplement one without the other, you cause problems. It has nothing to do with skin, nails and hair.
__________________
Jax
Seger vom Sitz von der Hose

Forever loved and missed.....Banshee

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2014, 08:58 AM   #7 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Jenkintown,Pa.
Posts: 15,199
Default

i buy salmon oil from vitalchoice.com. i buy the human grade.
i take a swig then i pour some over my dog's food.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2014, 08:58 AM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member
 
Twyla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1,777
Send a message via Yahoo to Twyla
Default

Woolf and Shadow get fish oil capsules 2000 mg and vit e 400 iu daily. The fish oil is split between the 2 meals.

The Princess (Shadow) gets a hole poked in hers and squirted on the food. Woolf gets it whole. The goofball treats it like dessert. Leaves it for last, chomps down on it and gets the oil, then walks around for a few minutes chewing the capsule like gum, finally swallowing it.
Twyla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2014, 09:02 AM   #9 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Jenkintown,Pa.
Posts: 15,199
Default

am i missing something here? are you saying if you don't
give your dog vitamin E the dog will become vitamin E
deficient?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post

No Vitamin E is given because if you don't it will cause a vitamin e deficiency.

Their bodies, and ours, use vitamin e to process the omega 3's. If you supplement one without the other, you cause problems. It has nothing to do with skin, nails and hair.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2014, 09:04 AM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member
 
Jax08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NNE PA
Posts: 22,006
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiedad View Post
am i missing something here? are you saying if you don't
give your dog vitamin E the dog will become vitamin E
deficient?
From all the reports, articles and research I've read, you are running a chance of it.
__________________
Jax
Seger vom Sitz von der Hose

Forever loved and missed.....Banshee

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:30 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
PetGuide.com
Basset.net DobermanTalk.com GoldenRetrieverForum.com OurBeagleWorld.com
BoxerForums.com DogForums.com GoPitbull.com PoodleForum.com
BulldogBreeds.com FishForums.com HavaneseForum.com SpoiledMaltese.com
CatForum.com GermanShepherds.com Labradoodle-dogs.net YorkieForum.com
Chihuahua-People.com RetrieverBreeds.com