German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Basic Care (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/basic-care/)
-   -   Fish Oil or Pills?? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/basic-care/394826-fish-oil-pills.html)

llombardo 01-12-2014 12:29 AM

Fish Oil or Pills??

Can dogs take fish pills? Someone told me that wouldn't be beneficial to them and the oil on the food is what should be used. They said its better to work from the outside in and not vice versa. Is that true? Can pills work? How is it determined how much to give if it can be given?

halo2013 01-12-2014 08:13 AM

Yes dogs can take fish oil pills. I use them for my shepherd when we are out of vitamin e

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

halo2013 01-12-2014 08:16 AM

I give halo 1 pill 3x a day when she's not taking vitamin e.
I can semi understand where whoever told you that was coming from. I give halo vitamin e oil I out it in every bowl of food and water. Sometimes it works faster. But there's nothing wrong with pilling either.

Jax08 01-12-2014 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by llombardo (Post 4818314)
Can dogs take fish pills? Someone told me that wouldn't be beneficial to them and the oil on the food is what should be used. They said its better to work from the outside in and not vice versa. Is that true? Can pills work? How is it determined how much to give if it can be given?

I use the fish oil capsules and just use a tack to poke a hole in it to squirt on the food, then throw the rest of the capsule in the bowl.

If you give fish oil, make sure to give vitamin E. I give 400 iu daily with fish oil. I've heard of giving as much as 800 iu, I assume depending on the amount of fish oil you give? But vitamin E is not water soluble so can build up in their system if given to much. So I stick with the 400 iu and 2000 mg of fish oil for Jax.

halo2013 01-12-2014 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jax08 (Post 4818978)
I use the fish oil capsules and just use a tack to poke a hole in it to squirt on the food, then throw the rest of the capsule in the bowl.

If you give fish oil, make sure to give vitamin E. I give 400 iu daily with fish oil. I've heard of giving as much as 800 iu, I assume depending on the amount of fish oil you give? But vitamin E is not water soluble so can build up in their system if given to much. So I stick with the 400 iu and 2000 mg of fish oil for Jax.

Exactly fish oil only goes so far. Vitamin e is made for skin nails and hair. Never thought of putting a whole in the capsule tho. Good idea

Jax08 01-12-2014 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by halo2013 (Post 4819002)
Exactly fish oil only goes so far. Vitamin e is made for skin nails and hair. Never thought of putting a whole in the capsule tho. Good idea

No Vitamin E is given because if you don't it will cause a vitamin e deficiency. Their bodies, and ours, use vitamin e to process the omega 3's. If you supplement one without the other, you cause problems. It has nothing to do with skin, nails and hair.

doggiedad 01-12-2014 08:58 AM

i buy salmon oil from vitalchoice.com. i buy the human grade.
i take a swig then i pour some over my dog's food.

Twyla 01-12-2014 08:58 AM

Woolf and Shadow get fish oil capsules 2000 mg and vit e 400 iu daily. The fish oil is split between the 2 meals.

The Princess (Shadow) gets a hole poked in hers and squirted on the food. Woolf gets it whole. The goofball treats it like dessert. Leaves it for last, chomps down on it and gets the oil, then walks around for a few minutes chewing the capsule like gum, finally swallowing it.

doggiedad 01-12-2014 09:02 AM

am i missing something here? are you saying if you don't
give your dog vitamin E the dog will become vitamin E
deficient?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jax08 (Post 4819026)

No Vitamin E is given because if you don't it will cause a vitamin e deficiency.

Their bodies, and ours, use vitamin e to process the omega 3's. If you supplement one without the other, you cause problems. It has nothing to do with skin, nails and hair.

Jax08 01-12-2014 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doggiedad (Post 4819066)
am i missing something here? are you saying if you don't
give your dog vitamin E the dog will become vitamin E
deficient?

From all the reports, articles and research I've read, you are running a chance of it.