German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Basic Care (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/basic-care/)
-   -   Pet insurance comparison (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/basic-care/390610-pet-insurance-comparison.html)

Jax08 01-03-2014 01:43 PM

Pet insurance comparison

I'm down to these three plans

Pet Plan
Embrace
Healthy Paws

Anyone have any input on any of these?

Thanks!

vom Eisenherz 01-03-2014 01:53 PM

Go with Healthy Paws. Exc. company.

Jax08 01-03-2014 01:57 PM

I read that. They were rated one of the best. Do you have them? Have you had to use it?

I know Pet Plan is good but it looks like Healthy Paws and Embrace are better and have better customer service?

btw...still waiting on pics of those blue pups!

Lucy Dog 01-03-2014 02:01 PM

I used to have petplan. They raised the prices and i've got a pretty healthy dog, so i just ended up dropping it. I think it was costing me around $600 per year (with 20% copay and $8k max per incident per year). At those prices, I figured I might as well take my chances and just pay as needed.

When I did have to use it, which was hardly ever, I didn't have any complaints. I was paid back within a few weeks and customer service was good. It's not cheap though, but insurance never is for anything.

Jax08 01-03-2014 02:03 PM

One ACL costs me $5000 total. Then there are the two growths removed. I understand the deductible on Pet Plan is per incident and not per year? Embrace and Healthy Paws are per year?

Lucy Dog 01-03-2014 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jax08 (Post 4766810)
One ACL costs me $5000 total. Then there are the two growths removed. I understand the deductible on Pet Plan is per incident and not per year? Embrace and Healthy Paws are per year?

That's when insurance comes in handy - with the big stuff.

From what I remember, Pet Plan does per incident and per year. Once the year is up, the max resets.

vom Eisenherz 01-03-2014 02:26 PM

I have both Healthy Paws and Trupanion on several dogs. Some puppy buyers have Healthy Paws also. Healthy Paws has been WONDERFUL about everything. No problems in a couple years. One dog had a very expensive dance with Lyme and they covered it cheerfully, no weaseling out of anything. Very fair- no secret loopholes that they find once you've already given the vet the go-ahead, thinking they'll pay it.

Deductible is per year, just like human insurance. I have high coverage/low deductible. Premiums haven't increased much. They've cut me some sizeable checks....$3700 for my poisoned Chihuahua...got the money within days and phone call to see how he was doing.

Jax08 01-03-2014 02:44 PM

Thanks Jen! Good to know!

huntergreen 01-03-2014 03:33 PM

there was thread on this a year or so ago done by some one in the insurance business. if i remember correctly it was pretty informative with a cost benefit analysis. it would be worthwhile to dig up.

Jax08 01-03-2014 03:57 PM

Yes, I know. They say nothing about Embrace and very little about Healthy Paws.