Pet Insurance - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2013, 02:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default Pet Insurance

Just wondering if anyone has HealthyPaws pet insurance and their opinions about the value and coverage.

Any other thoughts regarding pet insurance would be appreciated as well.

I have found with the pet insurance we had for our other shepherds there were many exclusions based on the breed.....genetic predispositions etc.

Thank you for your thoughts,

SuperG
SuperG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2013, 10:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I have VPI - they pay promptly and have a wellness coverage, but genetic illnesses like hd are excluded. I just wanted a major medical coverage & the wellness. The monthly premium is low at $42/month. I have read in some of the past threads on pet insurance that there are companies that cover the genetic illnesses. One is PetPlan and it is mentioned in this older thread Pet insurance... Which to choose Healthy Paws is also mentioned in that thread.
Old 12-31-2013, 10:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

There is an outstanding old thread in which a member who is an insurance industry professional read and analyzed the policy documents and exclusions. In that thread, PetPlan and Trupanion seemed to be the winners.

I pay around $580 annually for a Petplan policy for an adult -- not much more than MaryBeth is paying for VPI with all their exclusions. The key, though, which is discussed in that old thread is that you MUST get a an orthopedic exam within 30 days of buying the policy if you want Petplan coverage from HD and ACL injuries. This will create a record that there were no pre-existing problems. If you don't do that, the policy says those things aren't covered.

Last edited by Magwart; 12-31-2013 at 11:00 PM.
Magwart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2014, 10:23 AM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

Thank you Magwart and Mary Beth.

SuperG
SuperG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2014, 11:38 AM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I was looking into trupanion, it comes highly recommended at the vet. With as many dogs as I have I wish someone offered a "family" plan, that would be great.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2014, 11:45 AM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llombardo View Post
I was looking into trupanion, it comes highly recommended at the vet. With as many dogs as I have I wish someone offered a "family" plan, that would be great.
AGREE!!!

Offering a meager 10% discount for each extra dog isn't much. It does get very expensive in multi-dog houses.
Magwart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2014, 11:58 AM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperG View Post
Just wondering if anyone has HealthyPaws pet insurance and their opinions about the value and coverage.

Any other thoughts regarding pet insurance would be appreciated as well.

I have found with the pet insurance we had for our other shepherds there were many exclusions based on the breed.....genetic predispositions etc.

Thank you for your thoughts,

SuperG
I have HealthyPaws. I'm very happy with it. Have had a few claims, done easily by email and refunded almost immediately. Exclusions are based on vet report upon registration (for pre-existing). Hip evaluation not required but there is a 12 month wait period for that. Deductibles are flexible and price is very affordable. Covers congenital and long term illnesses/diseases.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Lucky (cat) ~ Beauty (cat) ~ MuMu (cat)
Angelina03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2014, 01:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magwart View Post
AGREE!!!

Offering a meager 10% discount for each extra dog isn't much. It does get very expensive in multi-dog houses.
Trupanion doesn't even offer a discount, she explained why, but I wasn't listening after the no part. If I were to insure every pet in my house it would be about 600 a month. It's hard to pick this one or that one to insure because all have chance of getting cancer, hd, ACL tears, etc.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound

Last edited by llombardo; 01-01-2014 at 01:39 PM.
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2014, 05:39 PM   #9 (permalink)

I have Trupanion and LOVE IT!!! They cover hip dysplasia at no additional cost. Plus, most all genetic issues are covered.

They have several different plans. Once your dog has an issue, your deductible is applied to that. It's not yearly, so if your dog develops any kind of condition, you meet the deductible ONCE for life on THAT condition. The bad part is that if they develop multiple issues, then you meet the deductible on each condition, I believe.

Now, having said that, I might look into other insurance companies, if I didn't own an English Bulldog (major medical $$$$). I got Trupanion for him, then added the GSD on.

Just for a GSD, I would shop around. But I like what we have. It works.
Myah's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2014, 04:47 PM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Beth View Post
I have VPI - they pay promptly and have a wellness coverage, but genetic illnesses like hd are excluded. I just wanted a major medical coverage & the wellness. The monthly premium is low at $42/month. I have read in some of the past threads on pet insurance that there are companies that cover the genetic illnesses. One is PetPlan and it is mentioned in this older thread Pet insurance... Which to choose Healthy Paws is also mentioned in that thread.
Sorry for the misinformation. I meant pre-existing conditions. The VPI major medical does cover hereditary and chronic conditions.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.