German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Basic Care (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/basic-care/)
-   -   Nails too big for nail clippers (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/basic-care/384186-nails-too-big-nail-clippers.html)

Cusack's Human 12-19-2013 08:22 PM

Nails too big for nail clippers

3 Attachment(s)
I have been struggling with this for a while. Then I thought DUH ask the other GSD people. LOL I have tried every pair I could find. The problem has been that his nails are too big to fit in the space or his nails are too strong and break the clippers. Does anyone else have this problem? If so, what do you do? It has been a while since I tried because it can be painful for him but they are getting too long.

I tried to get a couple of pics but he must have thought I was going to clip them and kept running LOL The other dog in the pics is a Pitt. I think he was trying to save him! :D

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Nigel 12-19-2013 08:27 PM

Some use dremels or something similar, forget what else they are called.

Cusack's Human 12-19-2013 08:54 PM

Thank you! That's a good idea! Does anyone have experience with this? Does it work well?

Lucy Dog 12-19-2013 09:07 PM

I use these kind of clippers and they should be fine for your dog. They're definitely big and strong enough to cut those nails. And it definitely looks like he can use a good clipping soon.

dawnandjr 12-19-2013 09:21 PM

I have the millers forge clippers. But purchased a dremel and that is what I use now. Prefer the dremel.

Cassidy's Mom 12-19-2013 09:32 PM

I've used a dremel for around 10 years now. Here are the instructions I learned from: How to Dremel Dog Nails @ DoberDawn.com

Cusack's Human 12-21-2013 01:01 PM

Thank you all so much!! Exactly what I was looking for :D

pyratemom 12-21-2013 01:10 PM

I still use clippers but a dremel is great. I don't have one but one day maybe. I think I would need to desensitize my dog to the dremel noise and feel before I was very successful at switching over. The clippers seem to work fine. Her nails are black so I have to be careful of the quick and the dremel would probably be better for that as it takes a little off at a time.

Galathiel 12-21-2013 01:16 PM

My husband and I tag team and use the dremel. I give treats while he mans the dremel. However, in between times, I'll nip the tips off occasionally on my own with some regular clippers made for large dogs while giving treats just to keep him willing to let me use either.

Cassidy's Mom 12-21-2013 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galathiel (Post 4707410)
My husband and I tag team and use the dremel. I give treats while he mans the dremel.

Ha, we're the opposite - Tom gives treats while I dremel!

With Halo, if it's been awhile since we've done nails, I usually clip the tips first because she's a diva and loses patience with the whole process very quickly. The dremel is great, but it is slow, so that speeds things up.

Keefer's nails are hard as rocks, and grow much faster than hers. He's much more patient and is actually really good about having his nails done, but my hands aren't strong enough to use clippers on him, so I dremel, dremel, dremel.