German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Basic Care (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/basic-care/)
-   -   Do you brush your dog's teeth? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/basic-care/377137-do-you-brush-your-dogs-teeth.html)

Bequavious 12-06-2013 10:52 AM

Do you brush your dog's teeth?

And if so, what products do you use and how did you get your dog to sit calmly while you're brushing? Both my dogs have very nice teeth, but they're also young so I don't want to get complacent :)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Baillif 12-06-2013 12:23 PM

Kind of. I use jute tugs sometimes, and I'm fairly certain that does plenty of brushing on its own. Brush while playing I guess.

qbchottu 12-06-2013 12:41 PM

No need to brush
Give antlers, knuckle bones (raw not processed), and bully sticks. Fun and easy way for dog to clean its teeth and strengthens the jaw muscles.

MyHans-someBoy 12-06-2013 12:52 PM

Nope. Hans gets raw knuckle bones, raw marrow bones, elk antlers, and bully sticks. His teeth stay nice and clean.

Arlene/Archer 12-06-2013 12:52 PM

Nope, he's a raw fed dog so no dye in his food, no soft food around the gum line and with plenty of bones he has hollywood style sparklers.

MyHans-someBoy 12-06-2013 12:54 PM

I should add that I have a Siamese cat whose teeth I brush and believe it or not-he holds very still. He loves the taste of chicken flavored toothpaste. :D

Gretchen 12-06-2013 12:59 PM

No. My last two dogs have had excellent teeth without brushing. They do get bones to chew.

Kaimeju 12-06-2013 01:43 PM

Raw knuckle bones and beef feet. I tried brushing for a while with CET enzymatic toothpaste but it didn't do a **** thing. My dog came to me with plaque build-up that the vet said would have to be removed through a cleaning, but she is working away at it on her own through chewing on bones. Her teeth look great and the last time we took her in they said a cleaning would be a waste of time.

Just beware of tooth fractures with hard bones like knuckle bones and antlers. There are softer bones like feet and necks that you can give, but it is always best to supervise until you know your dog can handle them. My dog is a champ with knuckle bones but she will get rawhide chips stuck in her mouth at weird angles and panic.

Bequavious 12-06-2013 08:59 PM

Wow no one brushes? Mine have antlers and a couple hard nylabones, but I always thought you had to brush too? I know a crazy amount of dogs get gum disease, so I wanted to be careful. I'd love to feed raw, but right now we have zero freezer space :( Plus the thought of balancing micronutrients freaks me out lol.

jrglade 12-06-2013 09:06 PM

Does anyone know a website to check out raw knuckle bones and raw marrow bones?

So much advertised I want to be sure I am getting the right thing.

TIA