Best time to neuter? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2013, 01:21 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Best time to neuter?

Hey all.

I have a 7 month old pup that I wasn't going to neuter until 10 months. We signed a non breeding contract and have to neuter. He is now not allowed back to daycare until he is neutered. From what I read about early neuter (before 12 months) the bones don't fully develop and increase the risk of hip displaysia; this is due to the lack of testosterone. Among other things but that's my biggest concern.

I am trying to outweigh the benefits of keeping him home for a few months and keep in intact vs getting him neutered early so he can go back to daycare and get his much needed exercise as we work.

He gets fed a raw diet with a mixture of sweet potato. He gets omega 3 and coconut oil.

Thanks for all your input.
Ashley.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Jaeger's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2013, 09:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

I prefer to wait at least 18 months to 2 years. Neutering before a year poses health risks IMHO and isnt worth it. Take him for a walk. Play in a park. Go swimming.

Berlin vom Spartanville 1/13/13
Zeke 5/25/07
Luther 2008 - 7/23/12

"Take this trouble from me: Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim." Max Von Stephanitz
Anubis_Star is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2013, 09:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

Agree with above, not before 18 months, certainly not before 1 year.

If you are set on daycare, can you ask them to do regular temperament evals vs just not letting you come? I know some of the ones here require them to be evaluated every couple of months... not sure what it does for mature dogs, but I guess it helps them weed out the puppies that mature into DA.

Might be worth asking anyway, if he enjoys daycare and its something you want to keep doing.
atravis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2013, 09:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Dogs that were neutered early have a higher incidence of certain cancers, and neutering before the growth plates close can cause the long bones to continue to grow for a longer time, and this can cause a leggier appearance, and the femurs will not fit in the sockets exactly the same as they would if nature rant its course, until growth was complete.

Was the dog sold on a limited registration, or with a no-breeding clause, or with an agreement to neuter?
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2013, 09:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

You can always hire a dog walker.
Old 10-05-2013, 10:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master Member

I met a pure bred GSD at the vet's a few months ago that was very tall, quite long bodied, with spindly legs and a small head. He was 10 months old and his hips clicked when he walked. The owners told me they had him neutered as early as possible. They were there that day "just to make sure he didn't have any hip problems." Granted, some of his appearance and/or problems could have been bad genetics, but it does make you really wonder about early neuter.

MyHans-someBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2013, 10:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyHans-someBoy View Post
I met a pure bred GSD at the vet's a few months ago that was very tall, quite long bodied, with spindly legs and a small head. He was 10 months old and his hips clicked when he walked. The owners told me they had him neutered as early as possible. They were there that day "just to make sure he didn't have any hip problems." Granted, some of his appearance and/or problems could have been bad genetics, but it does make you really wonder about early neuter.

Way too many dogs do just fine when neutered young though. I think that what you saw was probably poor genetics, and the early neuter probably didn't do the dog any favors.

I think some of us want to take the best dog we can and do nothing that might affect the dog negatively to reach the dog's potential.

I don't think that the difference early neutering causes is strongly apparent, but it may be noticable to people looking for it.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2013, 11:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

We just got our girl done at 15 months. She went through one heat. We would have gone through another, but with my wife pregnant we don't want to deal with it.
Old 10-05-2013, 11:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

Can't say for sure if it was related but this is what I noticed at the last lure coursing event I was at...

There were two Rhodesian ridgeback males, one was neutered(probably young) and he had no secondary sexual characteristics, small head and no muscle tone, he could have easily been male or female. There was an intact male who had a much larger more masculine head and was very well muscled... You could tell by looking at him that he was male. I just found it interesting.

I am debating on this too but mostly because my male has an umbilical hernia that has not gotten smaller or disappeared but I don't want to do multiple surgeries, he is almost 14 months now but I was planning on waiting until at least 18 months to 2 years old(but if his hernia needs to be repaired that might put a kink in that)... I'm under contract with my breeder NOT to neuter him until at least 16 months.

I would wait until at least one year old if possible... Is there a reason he has to go to daycare?
Carriesue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2013, 11:23 PM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyHans-someBoy View Post

Dexter will be 9 months on the 18. Hes not neutered but guess what. Hes thin, tall, long legged and his hips click. So we cant say for sure if its neutering early or just genetics . I know alot of people like the thick shepherd with the big head. Im just weird, I like my boy how he is. Would like him shorter though. Im not to used to a big dog who knocks everything over just by walking by.
Msmaria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.