German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Basic Care (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/basic-care/)
-   -   In Between Baths (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/basic-care/220746-between-baths.html)

BellaLuna 02-10-2013 08:02 PM

In Between Baths

OK so when your dog is in between baths what kind of products do you all use to keep them smelling fresh? I know you can buy the doggie fragrance spray but I wasn't sure if it would dry out their coat and my friend said put baby powder but I wasn't sure of that either don't want her to get dry flaky skin.

I_LOVE_MY_MIKKO 02-10-2013 08:13 PM

You can rub their coat down with apple cider vinegar. But for the most part GSDs aren't a smelly breed. As long as their diet is good and they are healthy, they tend to not smell. The only time my dog gets an odor is when he doesn't dry properly after swimming.

Cassidy's Mom 02-10-2013 08:23 PM

I wouldn't put anything perfumey on my dogs, but Earthbath has some nice grooming spritzes that are full of skin and coat conditioners, and are also scented: Spritzes :: earthbath® - totally natural pet care

They have grooming wipes too: Wipes :: earthbath® - totally natural pet care

Kaiser2012 02-10-2013 08:25 PM

This may sound silly, but since my two are SO active I only bathe them when absolutely necessary (ie, a romp in the ocean, a pond, mud puddle, or when super duper sandy).

The rest of the time, I do one of two things:

1- grab a towel, douse it with water, and rub all over their body

2- spray them down with water, then buff dry with a towel :)

This reactivates the smell from whatever shampoo I used last AND gets whatever grim might have stuck to their coat

BellaLuna 02-10-2013 10:34 PM

Thank you all ! To me she smells fine but the hubby is complaining he's a pain so I told him I would work on it lol anything to keep him quiet so that he leaves me alone haha

Muneraven 02-11-2013 12:21 AM

Jaeger smells a little bit, mostly because the big doofus is still squatting when he pees and I think he sometimes gets a little on him. MAN UP, JAEGER! (I know it takes awhile for male dogs to figure it all out). However, thanks to one elderly dog with a noxious gas problem and a Doodle with a skin condition . . .mostly you'd never know Jaeger ever smells at all, lol.

KZoppa 02-11-2013 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BellaLuna (Post 2939018)
Thank you all ! To me she smells fine but the hubby is complaining he's a pain so I told him I would work on it lol anything to keep him quiet so that he leaves me alone haha

sounds like my husband sometimes. He knows better than to complain. I'm the one who sticks my nose in their fur and dont notice anything. I always tell him he's crazy and if he thinks they need a bath, he can be the one to bath them lol

BellaLuna 02-11-2013 12:34 AM

[QUOTE=Muneraven;2939602]Jaeger smells a little bit, mostly because the big doofus is still squatting when he pees and I think he sometimes gets a little on him. MAN UP, JAEGER!

I think it's cute when males squat lol How old is Jaeger?

BellaLuna 02-11-2013 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KZoppa (Post 2939610)
sounds like my husband sometimes. He knows better than to complain. I'm the one who sticks my nose in their fur and dont notice anything. I always tell him he's crazy and if he thinks they need a bath, he can be the one to bath them lol

Yup I do the same thing I even have my friends smell her to see who's the crazy 1 and they laugh and say were both nuts as everyone is inhaling our dog lol

KZoppa 02-11-2013 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BellaLuna (Post 2939682)
Yup I do the same thing I even have my friends smell her to see who's the crazy 1 and they laugh and say were both nuts as everyone is inhaling our dog lol

love it! thats awesome. I have ONE friend who would actually sniff my dog. All my other friends would look at me like I'm nuts. The only reason Shasta got a bath last week was because she got into something sticky in the yard. She's all soft and fluffy again. I usually give a bath every season. bout it.