Interceptor or Heartgard? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2013, 07:24 AM   #11 (permalink)
Crowned Member

We also used Interceptor and my supply ran out last Fall. Switched to Heartgard last Fall....think we are on month 4...no issues.

I like most pet owners don't like to switch meds when one is working...I was nervous but so far so good. I do make sure we do the yearly heartworm check...they also check tick disease at the same time.
Courtney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2013, 08:17 AM   #12 (permalink)
Master Member

Hijacking thread here - my dog has been on interceptor all his life, but alas our supply ran out. Just yesterday I got heartgard from my vet, and will be giving it to my dog in two days (on the 24th)...

What signs should I be on the lookout for? I asked about the MDR1 mutation and the vet assured me that if he is fine on interceptor he should be fine on heartgard. With that said, I usually look for a second (and third) opinion as I learned not to blindly trust my vet ... any advice will be much appreciated
ayoitzrimz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 08:39 AM   #13 (permalink)

I switched to Advantage Multi. My vet said it is the only HW preventative on the market that hasn't had a breakthrough (dogs getting HW's while on it). Bayer is so confident with it, they will pay for HW treatments should your dog get HW's while using it
DollBaby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 08:57 AM   #14 (permalink)

Does anyone or has anyone tried the 6 mos. HW vacc? We took Suki to the vet last week and for only a few dollars more, we got a 6 mos. vaccination and we don't have to remember to give the pill once a month. Suki is very sensitive in the stomach so pills don't usually go very well. Anyone else heard of this or have any opinions?
Old 01-22-2013, 09:03 AM   #15 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SukiGirl View Post
Does anyone or has anyone tried the 6 mos. HW vacc? We took Suki to the vet last week and for only a few dollars more, we got a 6 mos. vaccination and we don't have to remember to give the pill once a month. Suki is very sensitive in the stomach so pills don't usually go very well. Anyone else heard of this or have any opinions?
I heard about it but opted to keep going with the monthly pill. I actually set a monthly timer on my cell & I get a email alert from my vets office that I signed up for to remind me! I know...a lot of alerts
Old 01-22-2013, 09:05 AM   #16 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DollBaby View Post
I switched to Advantage Multi. My vet said it is the only HW preventative on the market that hasn't had a breakthrough (dogs getting HW's while on it). Bayer is so confident with it, they will pay for HW treatments should your dog get HW's while using it
This is the reason I get mine from my vet...most manufactures will pay for treatment as long as it came from the vet.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:27 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
This is the reason I get mine from my vet...most manufactures will pay for treatment as long as it came from the vet.
Right, but knowing AM is the only preventative that hasn't had a breakthrough, sold me on it. Plus, no fleas is a bonus!
DollBaby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 10:04 AM   #18 (permalink)
Master Member

Seems like alot use intercepted, but what is the difference between that and heartgard and why was it stopped in the first place that kind of makes me nervous to start it.
frillint1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 11:08 AM   #19 (permalink)
Elite Member

Ive always used heartgard
Old 01-22-2013, 11:56 AM   #20 (permalink)
Master Member

Here's a comparison chart of different heartworm preventative, listing what they are effective against, and the active ingredients in each: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/pic/article.cfm?aid=580

Novartis had production problems at the plant where they manufacture Interceptor. My understanding is that the issues were actually in the part of the facility where they manufacture human medicines, but they shut production down at the entire facility. Thus far my vet has still been able to obtain enough Interceptor for her practice and it is still what Jasmine gets each month. I thought they were suppose to be up and running at full production by now, but perhaps the repairs have hit a delay ... we haven't had an issue with getting our pills so I hadn't looked into it in a while.

Here is the scoop on Novartis, it explains to some extent why production was halted and the status of the repairs/updates/etc. to their facilities: http://www.ah.novartis.us/FAQ/FAQ.htm

Last edited by Ken Clean-Air System; 01-22-2013 at 12:00 PM. Reason: Added information about Novartis
Ken Clean-Air System is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.