Vaccinations/Heartgard - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2013, 02:39 PM   #1 (permalink)

Exclamation Vaccinations/Heartgard

What are the vaccinations that you give your dogs? How often?

Is the Leptospirosis vaccination necessary in CA?

How do you feel about monthly Heartgard?

Thank you!
RoxyGirl2012 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2013, 03:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I follow Dr. Dodds vaccine protocol.

I have opted not to give Lepto...not sure about your exposure rate in CA?

Heartworm meds...I don't mess around with this one. The thought of heartworms really scares me. My boy was on Interceptor until my supply ran out...this is his 3rd month on Heartgard..luckily no issues to report. I give it all year long.
Courtney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 03:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

My holistic vet is looking into CAV-2 which is not in Dodds but Dodds is also reassessing that one after a new resurgence of CAV-1 virus. You cannot get a separate CAV-2 vaccine but can get it with bordatella and give separate from the distemper and parvo if you want to follow her protocol.

Same here on heartworms. I am in a lepto endemic area and, even with exposure, have decided not to give. Hard decision with a lot of factors. Did a thread on it. Going to do nosodes.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 03:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Interesting on the hepatitis. I know the WDJ did a recent article about it. I havn't read the article at home yet.

An Old Infectious Disease Is New Again - Whole Dog Journal Article

Lepto nosodes...I will have to find your thread and read up. The instance rate in my area is not high but my vet always encourages me to give it because he knows we hike alot with Rusty. As of right now I just can't give that vaccine...alot of concerns.

RoxyGirl, I forgot to mention my plan is to titer test moving forward.
Courtney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 04:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

Lepto is a tough one

To Vaccinate or Not? - Leptospirosis/Bordetella

After a lot of research I personally decided not to give it because I am not sure it actually works and may just push an infection to a subclinical state. If I did give it, I would demand the Merial Recombintek because it has no adjuvants and has testing to back it up (for the servovars it covers) and unlike the others shows no shedding of live spirochetes. But the vet I used only had the Pfizer. Any other lepto vaccine is apparently not worth using.

I also know that a variant, bratislava is being identified in dogs coming in from the Czech republic and that is in no vaccine. We really don't know how prevalent the disease is because most tests won't work on an immunized dogs. Many dogs who are immunized seem to get lepto (and some speculation the vaccine may be the problem)..and testing is rarely done on any dog..they are just treated so it could be other things "standing" as lepto when the diagnosis is given.

Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles

Last edited by jocoyn; 01-15-2013 at 04:33 PM.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I do most of the recommended ones...my theory is that I'd rather pay $20 for a vaccine than $2000 to cure from lepto or lyme. I also hike a lot, my boy swims in streams/ponds/Lake Michigan so it just makes sense to not risk it. We've also never had a negative reaction so I'm going to keep doing it...probably every 2 years at this point.

Bordetella is another one that's a hot button issue...I don't do that one unless I plan on boarding. And I don't plan on boarding so I don't do it.

Heartguard, wouldn't mess with that. I slow down a bit in the winter months, but still give a dose every 1.5 to 2 months. During the summer I'm hardcore about every month. Again...for a $10 pill a month its not worth the risk and the expensive treatment for heartworms.

Last edited by martemchik; 01-15-2013 at 04:44 PM.
martemchik is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 04:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

It has nothing to do with the cost of the vaccine for me. Mainly concerns about over immunizing.

Old 01-15-2013, 04:46 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thank you all for the wonderful feedback! I have contacted my vet and for the puppy vaccination schedule, they do:

8 weekst: DHPP
12 weekst: DHLPP (w/Lepto)
16 weeks: DHLPP (w/Lepto), Rabies

In 1 year they booster DHLPP and Rabies, then again every 3 years. Although, they do say to booster the Lepto vaccination EVERY year. I think I may pass on an annual Lepto vaccination and just go with the 3 year plan.

I have given my previous dogs Heartgard, so I will probably stick with that starting at 12 weeks.
RoxyGirl2012 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 04:55 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I do rabies every three years and 2 adult distempers for each dog(they are 3 year distempers), then they are done with distemper. I give heartworm every month and if I move to a wooded area, I will give the lyme. I have never nor will I ever give lepto.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 04:57 PM   #10 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

If you are going to give Lepto you need to booster it every year. It is shown to be ineffective after about 15 months (the Merial vaccine but the Merial is not in the combo I don't know any data on the DHLPP)

That is a "standard" approach. There are different viewpoints on this as even the AAHA says most vaccines are good for 7 years or more.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.