Vaccinations/Heartgard - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2013, 01:10 PM   #21 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

Now this one is interesting. Several puppies actually died during the study before being exposed to the bacteria but after immunization but it was not attributed TO the immunizaiton. The one tested her has no adjuvants which are the primary source of vaccine reactions.

A novel tetravalent Leptospira bacterin protects against infection and shedding following challenge in dogs -- Klaasen et al. -- Veterinary Record

Do note the pups were challenged a mere three weeks after immunization.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2013, 04:12 PM   #22 (permalink)

Jocoyn, thank you for taking the time to post these informational Web sites about Leptospirosis. That is very much appreciated, as it is great to gain information from those that have done research on this.

Gosh, it is such a tough call...I don't know how I am going to decide this one. I do not like the idea of giving a vaccine every year...

What is the approximate cost for titer testing?
RoxyGirl2012 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 04:17 PM   #23 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I was quoted $115.00 per titer by my vet. As of right now I will only titer for distemper and parvo. The cost varies by region.

Here's a past link:

Titers Test Costs

Last edited by Courtney; 01-16-2013 at 04:21 PM.
Courtney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 04:28 PM   #24 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

The lepto is and will continue to be a challenge for me as my dogs work in the areas (swamps, urban areas, etc.) where lepto is likely to occur, rats and other vermin exist (human remains - dog is cadaver dog on SAR team), and the climate is condusive (warm muggy South Carolina).

It is a real struggle about what to do, and I do keep a close eye on my dogs and would not hesitate to test and flood them with antibiotics if they developed symptoms. I am cautiously using a homeopathic approach using nosodes (another thread) but there are stories of their effectiveness in Cuba and Haiti for humans........but I just don't know......but you can't advise someone else on what to do there!

It would be nice if it was all black and white. We are facing a whole lot of emerging diseases and we can't immunize our way out of it, I think. (Start reading about ticks!)

Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
Old 02-25-2013, 03:07 PM   #25 (permalink)

I have decided I would like to follow Dr. Dodd's Vaccination Protocol. I think I will then be leaving out the Leptospirosis vaccination...
RoxyGirl2012 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2013, 11:10 AM   #26 (permalink)
Crowned Member

My vet will NOT give the lepto injection unless the dog is going to visit an area that has the disease and even then she's hesitant to do so.

My guys get vaccinated every three years with the rabies and other vaccinations being separated by a year to 18 months. My seniors only get rabies.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:28 AM   #27 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

I actually have a bottle of lepto nosodes (homeopathic) that I am going to start this month. It has been a tough decision for me but I feel that way I won't mask the infection and CAN get a test result if my dog is infected but it means judicious monitoring. You can run regular tick panes for the dogs but not for lepto

The human lepto prevention protocol is 200mg of doxycycline once a week and not a vaccine......no known doxy resistant strains..... Makes you wonder.
CDC quit tracking lepto as well this is an old report though and I have heard those NOT in the canine 4 way vaccine are more frequent now.
http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/12/3/pdfs/05-0809.pdf

Good article on tick borne diseases - lots of nasty stuff out there to protect from no immunizations against tick disease. Some protocols call for single dose doxy for humans after a tick bite regardless.

Tick-Borne Disease FAQ

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.