Vaccinations/Heartgard - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2013, 05:23 PM   #11 (permalink)

Yes, the Lepto needs to be boostered every year. Although, I would rather not give a vaccine every year. Maybe after I booster after the first year I will not get the lepto anymore in the combo vaccine?

I asked my vet if it is required in the city and she said that they are seeing cases in Chihuahuas that never leave their homes much. Weird...
RoxyGirl2012 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2013, 05:53 PM   #12 (permalink)

My guys get Rabies (as late as I can give it - prefer not until 1 yr of age) and that's it.

We've had Parvo here. Treated the pups (at home) and they all made it through with no problems.

I don't do any other vaccines nor do I do heartworm chemicals. I used to check my dogs yearly for heartworms but after 5 years with no positives I stopped doing it.

My dogs go to dog parks, dog shows, dog expos. We have hundreds of dogs come on our property (lure coursing) and DH & I go to many dog events each year. I do not worry about bringing something home.

I feel my dogs are stronger and can fight just about anything due to their natural diet and the lack of chemicals in their bodies.

My pack just went through a round of what I called Dog Flu. Loss of appetite, loose stools, lethargy. Only one ran a fever and I used plain aspirin to bring it down. Other than supportive care - making sure they got plenty of fluids and bland foods when they would take some - they all recovered with no problem.
Chimanes Spice it Up Piquin (Kaynya) - Chinese Crested
Nator von Triton HIC CGC (Mauser) - LC GSD
Piquins Some Like it Hot (Spike) Chinese Crested
Piquins Too Hot To Handle - (Fuego) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Wasabi (Sabi) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Super Hot (Clark) - Chinese Crested
Banzai, Cloe, Mocha - Felines Extraordinaire
Neke, Tessa, Remi, Sadie, Riggs, Sasha, Tazer - DK, Mozart, Zoe - Gone but not forgotten
Lauri & The Gang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 06:12 PM   #13 (permalink)

Can I make a suggestion?? Do NOT give a rabies shot along with your booster, space them out atleast a month.

When I bring a dog in, they get the initial puppy booster, and lastly a rabies . At one year, I do one booster and another rabies (not on the same day), since rabies is required by law, after that my dogs get rabies vac every 3 years, and I titer every couple of years.

My aussies being seniors , and some of my previous gsd's, were always re vac'd each year until I got a little wiser and decided to stop..The aussies haven't had a vac (other than rabies) in probably 6+ years.

I do (monthly) Ivermectin on the aussies, Heartguard on the gsd(s), from April 1 thru Dec 1.

I have indoor cats that had their initial vac's and none since. One is 21 years old and still doing pretty well, the others are much younger but I think absence of vacs have given me some long lived animals..

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 06:50 PM   #14 (permalink)

What are the negatives of giving the booster and the rabies shot at the same time? I am definitely open to all suggestions, thank you! )
Old 01-15-2013, 06:52 PM   #15 (permalink)

first I don't like putting all that stuff in their system to begin with, doubling up like that, can just be to much at once and you never know what type of reaction, if any they could get from them.

My vet will not double up like that, and spaces vac's out atleast a month apart.

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 07:37 PM   #16 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

I, too don't like asking my dogs immune system to fight a whole different things at the same time and spacing out the vaccines makes sense to me.

There is an official "party line" on vaccines that doctors follow and there are alternative viewpoints some from no vaccines at all to some selecting and spacing vaccines and others giving all they can at every opportunity. People with opposing viewpoints span all education levels, so if your vet dismisses them as uneducated lunatics that is his problem because plenty of educated people are expressing their concerns (I was around in the 70s when a fellow I was studying under in my biochemistry major was rallying against trans fatty acids...the SEVENTIES...and nobody listened until a few years ago...)

Just realize the vet is working for you and tell him/herhow you want to proceed based on your own knowledge. You can get some good info here. How many of us remembered annual rabies, annual combo shots until people had enough and the AAHA decided to change their guidelines?

This is a mainline document AAHA 2011 vaccine guidelines which should give you things to think about.
http://www.aahanet.org/PublicDocumen...Guidelines.pdf

Dr Schulz who has spearheaded a reduction in vaccines with the AAHA and is a professor at University of Wisconsin
New guidelines address over-vaccination issue - chicagotribune.com

Now vets will shake their head if you want to space things out and think you are silly but it is no hardship on them but your vet likely will NOT have individual parvo and distemper vaccines so the DHPP at one time, the Lepto at another and the rabies at yet another will still provide the same protection but not put such a burden on the pups immune system all at once same time. Individual vaccines are available for distemper, parvo and lepto but many vets do not stock them.

Just to be clear - if you give 2 lepto shots NOW, after a year your dog is NOT protected and if you go out two more years it would take 2 lepto shots again to reimmunize. You can read the lepto protocol. Puppies and small dogs are more likely to have a reaction to lepto. A 5 lbs dog get the same shot as a 150lb behemoth. It also discusses 4 servovar vaccines vs. 2 servovar vaccines and some DHLPP still have only 2 servovars.

Lepto has improved but it and rabies are both shots more likely to cause extreme reactions and it just makes sense not to give them at the same time....

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles

Last edited by jocoyn; 01-15-2013 at 07:41 PM.
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 11:52 AM   #17 (permalink)

Thank you all for such great information!

What constitutes "over vaccinating?" Is it getting a bunch of different types of vaccines, getting too many vaccines at once, or both?

I am teeter tottering on the Leptospirosis vaccine. Is getting a Lepto shot EVERY year over-vaccinating? I have a 2 year old son and just worry because it is transmissible to humans. If it was just me I probably would not be as concerned. My vet says that dogs can get it in the city and not just dogs in wooded, wildlife areas. They say rats and such can be infected and puddles in your backyard are susceptible. I am so torn on this one.

Also, is it necessary to do a booster of the DHPP every 3 years or just rabies?
Old 01-16-2013, 12:17 PM   #18 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxyGirl2012 View Post
Thank you all for such great information!

What constitutes "over vaccinating?" Is it getting a bunch of different types of vaccines, getting too many vaccines at once, or both?
I think it's a combination of both. Space the shots out to give their bodies times to adjust like stated above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxyGirl2012 View Post

Also, is it necessary to do a booster of the DHPP every 3 years or just rabies?
Rabies is required by law. You will have to abide by the laws of your state. Some states will accept a titer in place of a shot, however, I think if your dog bites someone or is bitten, you will be required to quarantine.

DHPP - There are so many arguments out there on this. Jax had her puppy shots, her 1 yr booster. At 4 1/2 yrs, I titered and her titers show she will probably never need another vaccination. Read Dr. Dodds protocol, and the AAHA guidelines written by Dr. Schultz. IMO, they don't need the DHPP every 3 years and I'm comfortable with that decision. I will not vaccinate our senior Boxer and refused the rabies vaccine for her as well. We are illegal but I'm confident her immunity to it is fine and at 13 years old, I'm not putting any other toxins in her body. Others are not comfortable with those decisions and still want to vaccinate every 3 years. Do the research and do what you feel is right for your dog.

Forever loved and missed.....Banshee

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 12:17 PM   #19 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

The lepto vaccines do NOT prevent the dogs from shedding spirochetes. They can still pick up lepto and have a milder infection. Only the Merial Recombitek is demonstrated to prevent shedding and only for the specified strains.

You will have to decide what to do about DHPP. Your vet will suggest every three years. You can see immunity up to 7 or more years, probably lifetime reported in the AAHA document. Not a fringe group. A mainline group of veterinarians.

Ask your vet which species are causing the lepto infections in your area. Bet he does not know because they just assume lepto if a dog has the symptoms. Here is an artilcle on bratislava.

Leptospirosis

Thing is - if your child goes anyplace where there is lepto, he does not need a dog to pick it up! The CDC, however, has quit having people report human cases so what does that tell us? Your son is not likely to drink water out of puddles visited by rats but I bet he will have scratches on his skin and will get wet outside playing. The lepto vaccine cuts, but does not eliminate your risk because bratislava, hardjo, and grippo are coming up in testing and not impacted by the vaccine.

I don't think any of us can tell you if once a year lepto is overvaccinating. Just realize its effectiveness is limited.

To me it is overvaccinating to give a cocktail of vaccines all at one time, or vaccinating for things that are really not that serious, but they probably did that to your son as an infant! Lepto really is a scary disease.

Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles

Last edited by jocoyn; 01-16-2013 at 12:25 PM.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:54 PM   #20 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

This disease is constantly on my radar so some new info-this is an article not just an abstract

2010 ACVIM Small Animal Consensus Statement on Leptospirosis: Diagnosis, Epidemiology, Treatment, and Prevention

http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/12/...09_article.htm

Last edited by jocoyn; 01-16-2013 at 12:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.