German Shepherds Forum banner

Am I pushing my GSD too hard? How much heat can she handle?

3K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Mooch 
#1 ·
So, I have a german shepherd. She's medium to long hair.
We're in South Australia and my dad likes to walk her through the bush, but he likes to walk when its hot.
It's around 35 degrees, which is 95 farenheight. He'll walk her in that sort of heat and over for about an hour.
The bush is more a hike, it's got hills and all that.
Although she's been walking that track all her life, she's getting old and reaching 8 years old soon.

I literally just can't stop the dog from going, because my dad encourages her and she doesn't understand that she cant handle the heat for that long.

Will she get heatstroke? Or can she handle the heat? Please help.

#7 ·
I won't take my dogs out until late evening in the summer.

I work in the foothills of Colorado, I have seen young labs come in dead from heatstroke in 90-95 degree weather after going on long hikes. No way would I risk it with a breed that has a thick double coat.

Plenty of water and rest, sticking to shade as much as possible is the best advice I can give other then don't do it. It's irresponsible, IMHO

#9 ·
if she is acclimated to the heat and he knows what to look for as far as heat stroke, then I wouldn't worry as much. As you said, she wants to go. Does he amble along as he walks? Or does he hike like it's a military drill? That also makes a huge difference.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.