Flea and Tick Preventatives - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2013, 10:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Question Flea and Tick Preventatives

Who has their dogs on a flea and tick preventative and who doesn't? If you DON'T, why? Just looking for the pros/cons etc, as I don't think my parents ever used it on our dogs while I was growing up. What brands do you use and why? Looking for the best one for my money...at my vet, k9 Advantix and frontline are buy 6, get two free. I think 6 doses is about 90-100 bucks here. Thoughts??
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2013, 10:31 PM   #2 (permalink)

how old is the pup? advantix & other solutions are recommended on pups over 4-5 months of age.. I don't know if you have these injections in the US but here in India we have this all-in-one kind of injection (fleas, ticks, de-worming, anti-fungal).. works for about 6 months & to be given to pups over 6 months of age.. u can check with your vet if that is available..

Kaiser's only 8 weeks old hence I only use a powder.. Also, a suggestion, if possible, wash his paws after coming back from outside.. ticks usually start at the paws (if he's not been sitting).. hope this helps

Kaiser: DOB 13-Nov-2012
Bundle of joy from 17-Dec-2012 to 06-Feb-2013
ankittanna87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2013, 10:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I usually use either Trifexis or Heartguard and Comfortis, depending. It's cheaper to buy Trifexis because it takes care of internal parasites, fleas and ticks. If you buy a year supply at the office I work at, you get 10% off. Since I work there I also have a 50% employee discount.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

I live in muggy hot SC and my dogs are in the woods a lot and my working dog spends a lot of time outside. Other than occasional diatomaceious earth, I did nothing last summer and had a good year. I will assess this coming year and dose if I find any evidence of fleas or ticks.

I do give ivermectin to prevent heartworms.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2013, 11:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I use the Australian version of Trifexis (Panoramis) for Bruiser and Faith, Heartgard Plus and Frontline for Slider. If I'm havin a serious problem, I also use Frontline on Bruiser and Faith.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:08 AM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

You can get Advantage II (for fleas, not ticks) for around $10/month through the big online retailers on sale. Watch for sales that can be combined with coupon codes at KV Supply, PetcareRX, etc. It works.

I do not use Frontline, as I'm not impressed with its efficacy at the shelter where I volunteer -- it could be they aren't using it right (they use the spray from Frontline, not the tubes), but I have found fleas on dogs treated with it.

In the South, even though my house and yard don't have fleas, they are in the environment -- in my neighbors' yards as we walk past, in parks we visit, etc. Fleas are miserable for dogs and carry diseases. In this climate, the dogs get devoured by bugs. When I lived in California, many years we could go without a flea preventative because I hardly ever saw a flea, anywhere. It all depends on your climate.

ETA: I recently re-priced Advantage Multi, which is both a flea preventative and HW preventative, and it comes out cheaper for me than separate HW and flea meds. It's around $90 per 6 tubes in KV Supply's latest catalog. I'm likely switching once I use up my currently supply. Also, for the sake of comparison, Advantix (the one you priced at your vet) is around $70 per 6 for the large size.

Last edited by Magwart; 01-13-2013 at 12:15 AM.
Magwart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2013, 12:43 AM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magwart View Post
You can get Advantage II (for fleas, not ticks) for around $10/month through the big online retailers on sale. Watch for sales that can be combined with coupon codes at KV Supply, PetcareRX, etc. It works.

Ill have to check those online stores, thanks!

I do not use Frontline, as I'm not impressed with its efficacy at the shelter where I volunteer -- it could be they aren't using it right (they use the spray from Frontline, not the tubes), but I have found fleas on dogs treated with it.

hmmmm....maybe i'll stay away from Frontline then, if i'm going to pay all that money, it better work! lol

In the South, even though my house and yard don't have fleas, they are in the environment -- in my neighbors' yards as we walk past, in parks we visit, etc. Fleas are miserable for dogs and carry diseases. In this climate, the dogs get devoured by bugs. When I lived in California, many years we could go without a flea preventative because I hardly ever saw a flea, anywhere. It all depends on your climate.

I have never ever seen a flea. Or a tick. BUT, my dads Wirefox Terrier got a tick on him this past summer, so apparently they are here..

ETA: I recently re-priced Advantage Multi, which is both a flea preventative and HW preventative, and it comes out cheaper for me than separate HW and flea meds. It's around $90 per 6 tubes in KV Supply's latest catalog. I'm likely switching once I use up my currently supply. Also, for the sake of comparison, Advantix (the one you priced at your vet) is around $70 per 6 for the large size.
Thanks! Ill have the check that out

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankittanna87 View Post
how old is the pup? advantix & other solutions are recommended on pups over 4-5 months of age.. I don't know if you have these injections in the US but here in India we have this all-in-one kind of injection (fleas, ticks, de-worming, anti-fungal).. works for about 6 months & to be given to pups over 6 months of age.. u can check with your vet if that is available..

He is 6.5 months old. I haven't heard of the injections, but I'll ask my vet about them...seems alot easier than the topical stuff, haha

Kaiser's only 8 weeks old hence I only use a powder.. Also, a suggestion, if possible, wash his paws after coming back from outside.. ticks usually start at the paws (if he's not been sitting).. hope this helps
Thanks, i'll be sure to do that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GsdLoverr729 View Post
I usually use either Trifexis or Heartguard and Comfortis, depending. It's cheaper to buy Trifexis because it takes care of internal parasites, fleas and ticks. If you buy a year supply at the office I work at, you get 10% off. Since I work there I also have a 50% employee discount.
I havent heard of Triflexis, i'll research it though. He is on heart guard also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocoyn View Post
I live in muggy hot SC and my dogs are in the woods a lot and my working dog spends a lot of time outside. Other than occasional diatomaceious earth, I did nothing last summer and had a good year. I will assess this coming year and dose if I find any evidence of fleas or ticks.

I do give ivermectin to prevent heartworms.
So you dont use any flea and tick stuff? If a tick was on my dog, would it be easy to find?? He is a longcoat lol. I dont know if where I live is bad with fleas/ticks...I live in Chicago. I mean, I dont live by any woods really, but I do plan on taking him running with me in the forest preserve when it is warmer. I also give the ivermectin to Berlin.

Thanks for the help
Old 01-13-2013, 12:48 AM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

revolution. I was mad one time I got talked into a $35.00 dollar flea collar
harmony is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2013, 07:36 AM   #9 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdlover91 View Post

So you dont use any flea and tick stuff? If a tick was on my dog, would it be easy to find?? He is a longcoat lol. I dont know if where I live is bad with fleas/ticks...I live in Chicago. I mean, I dont live by any woods really, but I do plan on taking him running with me in the forest preserve when it is warmer. I also give the ivermectin to Berlin.

Thanks for the help
I just do a daily tick check - run my fingers over them just like I check myself. I guess the idea of tick and flea checks is not foreign to me because I had my first dogs when all we had was flea powder and organophosphate dips but I did not want that stuff on my dogs as we had small children who tend to touch everything and not wash hands.

If my dogs pick up fleas this year I will reconsider.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2013, 11:23 AM   #10 (permalink)
Master Member

I use Neem oil mixed with olive oil on my dogs to prevent fleas

I've had an infested dog mix with my dogs recently and my dogs picked up the fleas. They were flea free within a week of using Neem. I just rub on coat every second day. It is cheap and non toxic.
MadLab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.