Vaccination opinions? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2013, 08:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default Vaccination opinions?

My pup will be 19 weeks tomorrow and so far he's had the two DHPP(I think that's the abbreviation so correct me if I'm wrong) and he's due for a third.

I've read though that the third is optional but I know my vet is going to push it. I'm considering not getting it but we live in a pretty heavily populated area with people and dogs... Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2013, 08:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

what age was he when he had the other two shots?

It's MICHELLE, scarfish! My name is MICHELLE! Jax is my DOG!

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 08:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

In our rescue and our personal dogs, this is the schedule we use.

Community Practice Vaccination Protocols from the College of Veterinary Medicine

DA2PP
Puppies 6,10 and 14 weeks or 8, 12 and 16 weeks
Repeat 1 year later
Then repeat every 3 years
Each patient should be evaluated for increased risk of exposure – may consider yearly protocols for these patients
Give in right shoulder

Rabies
Start puppies at 12-16 weeks of age
Repeat 1 year later
Then repeat every 3 years or as required by state, provincial, and/or local requirements
Give in right rear limb
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 08:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
what age was he when he had the other two shots?
About 8 weeks for the first and 14 weeks for the second
Old 01-08-2013, 08:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

The number of vaccines doesn't matter. What matters is the age at which they're given. If the last one was at 14 weeks I would give 1 more to be safe.

Pookie, Papillon 4/17/09
Kaiser, GSD 4/14/11
Verivus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 08:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Usually it's at 8, 12 and 16. Since he was younger than 16 weeks, I would get the third shot

It's MICHELLE, scarfish! My name is MICHELLE! Jax is my DOG!

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 08:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carriesue View Post
About 8 weeks for the first and 14 weeks for the second
Yes, you missed a vaccine. Give 1 more, anyway.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 08:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

Thanks everyone! Completely my fault(I have been really sick until late last week and honestly it just completely slipped my mind), will make an appt right away!
Old 01-08-2013, 08:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master Member

After having my boy almost die from a Rabies vaccine, I am even more limited vax than before.

So here is what I have always done with my dogs:

Distemper and Parvo: 7 weeks (at breeder), 16 weeks I either do it at home myself, or bring them to the vet...THATS IT, for life.

If it is one of my competition dogs, then I have to do Rabies for travel outside of Canada. So that is all I get done, and apparently that is still not safe!

Now, with that said, we have not had a reported case of Rabies as far back as I can search (1998), so I see no reason to vaccinate against something with such a small chance of occuring, for my "pet" dogs. I would check your area before you decide what is best for you and your dog.

BUT, we have about 3 Parvo outbreaks a year within our local shelter, and parvo in stray puppies is pretty rampant, and I have still never had a problem. I don't bring my dogs to the dog park ( we don't have one) and I do not bring them to the parts of town where the stray dogs congregate (yes, there are well known areas).

I have six dogs currently, but I have had about 10 fosters in the last 5 years (some longer than others) and they have all followed this, and all did fine. The youngest foster was 4 weeks when I took him on and 12 weeks when he left.

My dogs are 10, 6, 3, 2, 18 months and 12 months.

I would talk with your vet, get their opinion. Ask them questions, like how prevalent are these things I am vaccinating for in my area? Do you have any data to support your claim?

You can then do some quick internet clicking, and I am certain you can figure out what is going to be the best decision based on your research and what you are comfortable with.
N Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 08:45 PM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by N Smith View Post
After having my boy almost die from a Rabies vaccine, I am even more limited vax than before.

So here is what I have always done with my dogs:

Distemper and Parvo: 7 weeks (at breeder), 16 weeks I either do it at home myself, or bring them to the vet...THATS IT, for life.

If it is one of my competition dogs, then I have to do Rabies for travel outside of Canada. So that is all I get done, and apparently that is still not safe!

Now, with that said, we have not had a reported case of Rabies as far back as I can search (1998), so I see no reason to vaccinate against something with such a small chance of occuring, for my "pet" dogs. I would check your area before you decide what is best for you and your dog.

BUT, we have about 3 Parvo outbreaks a year within our local shelter, and parvo in stray puppies is pretty rampant, and I have still never had a problem. I don't bring my dogs to the dog park ( we don't have one) and I do not bring them to the parts of town where the stray dogs congregate (yes, there are well known areas).

I have six dogs currently, but I have had about 10 fosters in the last 5 years (some longer than others) and they have all followed this, and all did fine. The youngest foster was 4 weeks when I took him on and 12 weeks when he left.

My dogs are 10, 6, 3, 2, 18 months and 12 months.

I would talk with your vet, get their opinion. Ask them questions, like how prevalent are these things I am vaccinating for in my area? Do you have any data to support your claim?

You can then do some quick internet clicking, and I am certain you can figure out what is going to be the best decision based on your research and what you are comfortable with.
Unfortunately in California rabies is required by law by four months of age(though I'm going to wait till 6 months) and done every I think three years after that. I do not want to do yearly vaccs after this though I will find out what might be in our area first. I've lost three animals in the last 4 years to cancer... I'm trying to be more proactive now in how I approach these things.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.