Calling all neutered male GSD owners - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2013, 01:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default Calling all neutered male GSD owners

When did you guys neuter your boys?? Berlins time is coming up fast, he will be 7 months at the end of this month (I swear he was just 9 weeks old yesterday....) I know there is ALOT of personal preference and debate about when to neuter...but just curious as to when others did it. I want him to look masculine, so I am trying to put it off for a bit, but I dont want any of the behaviors (spraying, humping etc) to start. He dominance humps my other dog or little brother (LOL ) occasionally, but I have pretty much nipped that in the bud. When are males sexually mature? I do not want him going crazy over females (we have ALOT of dogs in our neighborhood) so ideally, I'd want to neuter him by then. Thanks in advance
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2013, 01:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

If/when I get a male neutered I try to have it done no earlier than 18 months ... I have no maximum age except if there's a retained testicle then my maximum is 24 months.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Delgado was neutered at 10 months, my contract with his breeder required by one year old. It wasn't hard keeping him but his drives did peak several times, if you're committed to a LOT of exercise and training it shouldn't be a big issue. They do need a outlet.

Otherwise anytime after 6 months is ok

For maturity most people say two years old for males. As for the "male macho" look - that's more genetics then hormones

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 5 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
Shade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 01:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arycrest View Post
If/when I get a male neutered I try to have it done no earlier than 18 months ... I have no maximum age except if there's a retained testicle then my maximum is 24 months.
The breeder told me told wait until then, I just am not sure I could depending on how he is! But time will tell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade View Post
Delgado was neutered at 10 months, my contract with his breeder required by one year old. It wasn't hard keeping him but his drives did peak several times, if you're committed to a LOT of exercise and training it shouldn't be a big issue. They do need a outlet.

Otherwise anytime after 6 months is ok

For maturity most people say two years old for males. As for the "male macho" look - that's more genetics then hormones
Well I mean, the vet said the earlier you do it, it cuts off the testosterone so some of the males end up looking a bit 'girly', if that makes sense. I want him to not be girly! Unless thats a crock of **** with the testosterone, I guess I could neuter him whenever. Berlins drives are peaking right now, he has SOOO much energy. I do take him outside everyday and play fetch, and work with him training wise everyday. I have no plans to do it until probably February, when he'll be about 8 months, but if I am having no issues, I dont mind waiting longer.

What is the advantages to waiting over a year??
Old 01-07-2013, 02:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

We did Ruger at something over 1yr. of age, and he doesn't look girly at all.
I think appearance is as much genetic as hormones, since I've seen many intact boys who look feminine.
Longhaired are going to look feminine anyway, so I don't think it matters a lot?
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 02:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master Member

Joey was recently neutered (he's 7 years old). He had an enlarged prostate that the doctor was concerned about.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:53 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

My now 5 1/2 yr old male GSD I adopted when he was a recently turned 2 yr old and neutered him a few months later.

My now 2 1/2 year old Belgian Malinois I have had since he was 10 wks old and planned to wait until at least 18 months to neuter. However, shortly after he turned a yr old, he began having attitude/attempted dominance issues with other male dogs, including my male GSD mentioned above. Mounting him and the like. I ended up having him neutered at 15 months and the mounting and general attitude that had started to crop up with other male dogs went away quickly. Not all dogs will develop issues, and not all the issues are related to hormones vs training. In this case, it was not a training issue, and the neuter cropped the hormone issue before it developed into an established behavior.

Generally, I'd prefer to wait until 18 months, but I've been in the rescue world so long that I'm used to seeing them speutered young (8 - 10 wks) for adoption purposes, so I don't really have an issue either way.
Rerun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 02:55 PM   #8 (permalink)

I have never neutered a male German Shepherd before 2 years and never had a problem with marking or humping. I am on my 3rd male and he is 14 months now. We have a small rescue dog that was neutered at 6 months and he likes to hump the other dogs and mark his territory. He even attempted to pee on a man's leg about a month ago.

Oh, and I don't agree that male long-haired GSDs look girlie
Old 01-07-2013, 03:13 PM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade View Post
As for the "male macho" look - that's more genetics then hormones
My mutt male looked way more macho-er as an intact 10 month old than in his later years as a neutered male. He lost the macho look unfortunately after neutering.
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 03:20 PM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meldleistikow View Post
I have never neutered a male German Shepherd before 2 years and never had a problem with marking or humping.
In the past I allowed humping other dogs because I considered it normal behavior among dogs. My teacher dog showed me that he never allowed it in his presence by the other dogs in our group so I took that lesson from him seriously.
WD only tried it once in the dog park and I immediately removed him for a time out and he hasn't attempted it since.
WD is 11 months old and doing OK; fingers crossed so I can leave him intact.
Working the young males hard throughout their adolescence saves a lot of trouble.
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.