Calling all neutered male GSD owners - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2013, 08:58 PM   #21 (permalink)
Banned

GB, that isn't what this thread is about. If you don't have a neutered male, then all your info is just stuff you've dredged up on the 'net, right?
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2013, 09:00 PM   #22 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
GatorBytes, are you trying to get this thread locked? Once I tried to bring up scientific research concerning the cons of spay/neuter and the thread was locked immediately.
NO...how the heck could that happen for providing links about the pro's and cons so the OP can weigh on a decision as opposed to only opinions (and I don't mean the members)....

was it locked b/c an arguement broke out...i've seen that happen
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 09:08 PM   #23 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvette2u View Post
GB, that isn't what this thread is about. If you don't have a neutered male, then all your info is just stuff you've dredged up on the 'net, right?
well considering it's a public forum and it says calling all neutered owners...I have a male and he is neutered (at 15 months, would have waited longer, but some vet told me it would reduce his reactivity - nonsense)...I think if she is going to make a decision about altering her dog, the more info she has the better to make the decision....the rest is up to her.

Why can't you stand others presenting a side? Policing others threads is not your responsibility.

Why not just stick to what you have to say and not what I have to say. K?
Cheers
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 09:08 PM   #24 (permalink)

I adopted my guy at 8.5 months and had him neutered 10 days later... I visited with him for 2 weeks before bringing him home, and during the visits he was too focused on sniffing/licking my neutered lab/shep mix. When I brought him home he immediately started humping my roommates bulldog...

If it weren't for those behaviors I would have liked to have waited until at least a full year, which is my normal "protocol". Two sides to everything-vets will tell you to do it young(this makes their lives easier; less bleeding, quicker heal time..). Breeders say to wait and let them grow/develop.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Hipcheck2012 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 09:19 PM   #25 (permalink)
Knighted Member

My husband and I had a male that we neutered at 3 years old. As far as neutering making training easier, I don't think that's always the case. Yes it can,but we didn't have any problem with him listening even when he wasn't neutered. I think that just depends on the dog.
Gharrissc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 09:22 PM   #26 (permalink)
Banned

Presenting sides without hype and hysteria would be good, I suspect
Old 01-07-2013, 09:30 PM   #27 (permalink)
Knighted Member

My Sting, who has never been mistaken for a female, was neutered at 5 months at his vet's recommendation. If I were you, I would talk to your vet about your concerns and go by his/her recommendation.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:33 PM   #28 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Beth View Post
My Sting, who has never been mistaken for a female, was neutered at 5 months at his vet's recommendation. If I were you, I would talk to your vet about your concerns and go by his/her recommendation.
If he's in your avatar, he's very handsome and not "girl like" at all!
Old 01-07-2013, 09:48 PM   #29 (permalink)
Elite Member

Thanks for all the replies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Beth View Post
Definitely doesn't look female, that is good to know that age of neuter has nothing to do with masculinity/femininity. I have discussed with them, and am still undecided, but some time between when the vet wants it done (6mnths) and the breeder (over a year). He won't be getting done this month, so he'll atleast be 7 months or older...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBytes View Post
You have to factor health (future) in this too, not just behaviour or "appearances"

Long-Term Health Risks and Benefits Associated with Spay / Neuter in Dogs Dogs Naturally Magazine

Interview w/ Dr. Sue - Cancer Vet
Dr Sue Cancer Vet | Angry Vet

she recommends
"to neuter males sometime between the ages of eighteen and twenty-four months"

and
Don't Make This Mistake When Scheduling Your Dog's Neutering Procedure
Thank you GatorBytes, I will check those out. There is so much information in regards to this topic, so any research does help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear GSD View Post
I neutered Bear at 6 months. My breeder suggested 18months, but I knew that he was going to do occasional doggie day care and boarding and they will not allow intact males beyond 6 months where I live to participate in day care if they are not neutured. The local Humane Society where we took classes also does not allow
unaltered dogs to take classes after the age of 6 months either.

I personally, if the situation was different would have waited, but I am not unhappy that I did it sooner and IMO Bear looks very masculine if you ask me.
The doggieday care was something I have been considering once a week or so, I didn't know they required them to be neutered. Good to know! And yes, Bear definitely looks masculine!! He is so handsome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_Karma View Post
The title of this thread could be interpreted two ways lol.

Anyway, we waited until our male was one year old. I think he still has a masculine face/features. We never really had many problems with marking or humping, so I can't say whether the surgery did anything to reduce these behaviors.
Lmfao, definitely had that coming. Not looking for neutered owners! lol!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvette2u View Post
We did Ruger at something over 1yr. of age, and he doesn't look girly at all.
I think appearance is as much genetic as hormones, since I've seen many intact boys who look feminine.
Longhaired are going to look feminine anyway, so I don't think it matters a lot?
I don't think all LC's look feminine! lol. Anyways, I guess it is genetic, luckily Berlins father looks really masculine.

Well, I guess cutting off the hormones at a young age (6 months) DOES NOT make them look girly. Good to know! Also, it appears that many of those nasty boy habits dont develop, also good to know. So, I guess I will keep him intact for now, and just do it when I feel it is right for him. Hopefully close to a year old or over. Thanks guys
Old 01-07-2013, 11:50 PM   #30 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_Karma View Post
The title of this thread could be interpreted two ways lol.
I am so so glad you said this, I thought my mind was in the gutter the first time I saw the title.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.