Australian interceptor? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2012, 10:10 AM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Default Australian interceptor?

Hey everyone,

So it looks like interceptor is still out of stock at least at 1800petmeds... I was wondering if anyone has any experience ordering interceptor from Australia. Specifically, I was recommended equine-mega-store from a friend who orders all her products from them. I only have one dose of interceptor left.

It is without prescription but the active ingredients are the same. It is not generic, made by Novartis and without prescription (not that it matters, he had his yearly heartworm test a few months ago and is good for a prescription until June).

So, any advice? Any experience ordering from them? Anything to be concerned about?

Thanks!
ayoitzrimz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2012, 11:14 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

anyone? *bump*
Old 12-26-2012, 12:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

My understanding is that Interceptor has not been manufactured by Novartis since 2011.

I would worry that you might be buying old product (possibly past expiration date), or it's fake. Of course, it's possible Novartis has an Australian plant, but if they did, I would expect Novartis would have been importing that product into the US through legitimate channels, given the demand for it, after they had to close their Nebraska plant (that happened with immiticide when the plant in the U.S. stopped producing it --the drug maker imported it from its Euro. plants, and vets could still order it through legitimate channels from the drug maker---which has not happened with Interceptor, as far as I know).

Also, it's only supposed to be sold with RX in the US, which would increase my suspicion that the product is fake.

I wouldn't do it, personally -- too many reasons to be suspicious. Maybe it's fine gray-market product, but the risk to your dog is too high. If it's harmless but ineffective, the cost to treat heartworm can exceed $1,000. Not worth it IMHO.
Magwart is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 12:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

Thanks Magwart. I hear you and have been leaning that way as well... Can anyone recommend the best alternative for interceptor? Something with the same active ingredient (Milbemycin Oxime) would be great since I know he does not have any adverse reactions to the active ingredient in interceptor.

Thanks!
Old 12-26-2012, 01:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

That, I can't help with. I've been using ivermectin-based products, as my dogs tolerate them well.

Have you looked at Trifexis and Advantage Multi? They are newer products, I believe.
Magwart is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 01:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master Member

Thanks, I haven't because he is on K9 Advantix + Interceptor and have been for his entire life, so I never looked at Trifexis etc...

I have a question for people experienced with the MDR1 mutation - if a dog tolerated Interceptor (milbemycin) does that mean that he does not carry this mutation and will similarly tolerate Heartgard (ivermectin) or do I need to test for this mutation specifically before giving him Heartgard?

Thanks everyone who chime in, I appreciate the advice
Old 12-26-2012, 03:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I used Interceptor for years and only stopped using it becuase it's not available to US citizens.

I've been buying stuff from Pets Megastore for many years and have always been 100% satisfied with the products I get from them. You'll notice that people living in the US cannot order Interceptor from them (and yes, it's still being manufactured and sold in various countries outside the US).

Slider cannot take Trifexis/Panoramis so after I called and talked to the folks at Novartis I emailed Pets Megastore and asked about a similar product that controls HW and intestinal worms that they can sell to US citizens and they recommended Multigard Plus which controls HW, intestinal worms, tape worms and fleas from breeding (doesn't kill the fleas) ... IT CONTAINS IVERMECTIN:
Active Constituents: each tablet contains
900mg Oxibendazole - Intestinal worm control
400mg Lufenuron - Flea inhibitor to prevent flea's from breeding
200mg Praziquantel - Tapeworm control
240ug Ivermectin - Heartworm prevention
Pets Megastore : MultiGard Plus EX Large 6s - US$67.48 [AU$65.00] discount medical supplies for pets

Last edited by arycrest; 12-26-2012 at 03:07 PM.
arycrest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 05:30 PM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magwart View Post
My understanding is that Interceptor has not been manufactured by Novartis since 2011.

I would worry that you might be buying old product (possibly past expiration date), or it's fake. Of course, it's possible Novartis has an Australian plant, but if they did, I would expect Novartis would have been importing that product into the US through legitimate channels, given the demand for it, after they had to close their Nebraska plant (that happened with immiticide when the plant in the U.S. stopped producing it --the drug maker imported it from its Euro. plants, and vets could still order it through legitimate channels from the drug maker---which has not happened with Interceptor, as far as I know).

Also, it's only supposed to be sold with RX in the US, which would increase my suspicion that the product is fake.

I wouldn't do it, personally -- too many reasons to be suspicious. Maybe it's fine gray-market product, but the risk to your dog is too high. If it's harmless but ineffective, the cost to treat heartworm can exceed $1,000. Not worth it IMHO.
It's not fake, old etc. I have ordered from these guys.....they are fine.
There are full contact details on their website.
If your friend orders from them no problems then don't see why you should be wary.
Not sure what the go is in the US with interceptor but it is still available here....same stuff. Your choice of course but just letting you know they are not a fraudulent website.
Good Luck
sparra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 09:23 AM   #9 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparra View Post
It's not fake, old etc. I have ordered from these guys.....they are fine.
There are full contact details on their website.
If your friend orders from them no problems then don't see why you should be wary.
Not sure what the go is in the US with interceptor but it is still available here....same stuff. Your choice of course but just letting you know they are not a fraudulent website.
Good Luck
You are referring to equine-mega-store? Just double checking that we are talking about the same site. Thanks
Old 12-27-2012, 05:16 PM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoitzrimz View Post
You are referring to equine-mega-store? Just double checking that we are talking about the same site. Thanks
Yes....equine-mega store. On the pets-megastore website it says something about not being able to sell to US because of trade agreements but doesn't mention it on the equine-megastore website.....you could always email them about it. Interceptor is available here with no problems.....what is the problem with it over there???
I buy frontline, horse wormers and drontal from equine-megastore.....much cheaper than our local vet.
sparra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.