I need help getting rid of fleas! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-25-2012, 04:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Default I need help getting rid of fleas!

I use Frontline for both the cat and the dog.Just spent $160 I bought a lot right away... Last week the dog became very sleepy after I put flea treatment on her. The dog is always inside the house, we live by the woods and there are a lot of small animals so I am thinking that maybe the cat brings the fleas from there and spreads it all over the house? I tried flea shampoo but I think it dries my dog's skin out too much, and I am getting tired of using flea bombs all the time. I thought Frontline was suppose to be affective but it seems like it did nothing for my dog this time she is scratching and biting her fleas more than ever. She gets a bath every week and I do not want to dry her skin out....How do I get rid of these stupid flies?
julie87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2012, 05:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Change brands? We use Biospot and have never had issues.
Are you certain it's fleas, because 1x a week bathing is way too often for dogs, unless there is a medical condition and medicated shampoos and that was recommended by the vet.
That'll dry out the skin worse than anything.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2012, 05:31 PM   #3 (permalink)

I've tried them all! Even the one the vet recommended-to no avail! Sorry to be no help, but I'm in the same boat. We don't have any carpet and outside flea killer hasn't helped either.
rangersdad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2012, 05:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

FWIW, Frontline, I'm told, isn't great. Fleas have become immune. Frontline PLUS or another newer medication would be a better bet.
Old 12-25-2012, 06:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

"Food grade" Diatamacious earth...dust through the fur as well, treat carpets (under furnature) as well baseboards.

Neem oil, bunch drops in spray bottle w/couple drops of dish soap to emulsify the oil, use to treat floors baseboards, garden, dog bedding.

Can be mixed into shampoo, kills fleas and ticks and moisturizes, or buy a natural shampoo that contains it already.

Do a lemon water rinse after shampoo - also add citrus to neem spray too.

Do not use citrus on cats....you'll have to l/u neem for cats too - cannot remember
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2012, 06:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

DE...is very dangerous to breathe in.
Please be *very* careful when you dust well...
Old 12-25-2012, 06:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

DE is safe to ingest, it can cause sneezing if snorted.

DE is used to treat intestinal worms too.

In fact so many people have had more success with DE then pesticides.

A friend of mine could not get rid of fleas, 2 cats and a dog, could actually see the fleas on the white parts of the cat - she kept bathing and treating with spot on - 1 cat died from toxicity, the dog had chewed a 4" strip at the rump and was bleeding - DE through her apt. bathed as I suggested - fleas gone within 2 weeks...they had been battling for months
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
Old 12-25-2012, 06:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Diatomaceous earth is not usually considered toxic but can cause respiratory problems, if inhaled.

Diatomaceous earth itself poses no problems. It is the silica that it is comprised of that can lead to breathing problems if it is inhaled over a long period of time.

Prolonged Exposure
Prolonged exposure to the silica dust in diatomaceous earth can cause breathing problems like silicosis and pneumoconiosis, which are degenerative respiratory diseases, according to an article in the Journal of Environmental and Occupational Medicine.

Read more: Diatomaceous Earth Side Effects | eHow.com Diatomaceous Earth Side Effects | eHow.com

I just heard from our vet who treated a dog who'd been previously treated with DE for intestinal worms, the worms were alive, well and had made this particular dog very ill, DE is useless in the fight against intestinal parasites.

I have used it with success on goat lice, but we were very careful to not inhale or let the animals inhale the dust. It is small shards of glass, basically.
OH and if her coat is dry now, just wait...it is a dessicant is how it works, and it'll dry the heck out of her skin.
Old 12-25-2012, 07:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Recent Thread

Fleas!!!

Spot on treatment thread (mine)

Beware Certifect spot on treatment for fleas and ticks
Old 12-25-2012, 07:28 PM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

I'm also hearing anecdotal reports that Frontline is losing effectiveness --I've also had that experience with fosters that were treated with it at the shelter, but still had fleas. I now ask that they also be Capstared before I pick them up, then I shampoo them with this shampoo when we get home: Natural Chemistry De Flea Pet Shampoo at PETCO (it seems a little gentler than other products I've tried, and it has been working for me).

I also use Advantage II as well -- so far, it's also been working for me, and we have bad fleas in the Deep South.

One tip re flea shampoo (I apologize if this is obvious, but I've encountered a lot of volunteers at the shelter who are bathing dogs but don't know this): start lathering at the head and work backward toward the tail. Otherwise the fleas will run up the head and crawl into the dog's ear and hide there, and then come right back out when the bath is done. If you start with head and work back, they all run down the dog toward the tail, and you'll catch them with the lather and kill them.
Magwart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.