Not Grooming Certain Breeds - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2012, 01:38 PM   #11 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GsdLoverr729 View Post
The groomer who works at the vet office with me only works there Tues, Wed, and Friday. On Mon and Thurs, she works at a shop. At the office she has to take any breed simply because we're a vet. But when she works at the shop she refuses:

Chows
Chow Mixes
Goldendoodles
Labradoodles
Bichon Frise

She has her reservations not because she hates the breeds, but because 9 out of 10 dogs that come in are insane. They bite, spazz out, scream when you touch their feet, etc. So she just no longer deals with them if she's at the shop.

I can understand Chows, but I'm a little surprised at the rest on the list.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2012, 01:42 PM   #12 (permalink)
Crowned Member

So if a muzzle can be used during dematting, why not just take all dogs?
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 01:53 PM   #13 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powell View Post
Um, freestep the rabies thing for wolfdogs is just politics. It works.
Politics or not, I don't care to deal with the legal fallout.

And I'm not going to pay for rabies prophylaxis just so I can groom a dog I don't want to groom anyway. It's very expensive and I don't think my health insurance covers it. If I were working in a veterinary hospital, AC or shelter, I would probably have it done, but as a groomer it's just not necessary.
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 01:57 PM   #14 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llombardo View Post
A dog can do a lot of damage even with a muzzle on, and muzzles are not foolproof. Often times a very determined dog can remove a muzzle, and then where are you? Plus that, you have to take the muzzle on and off to groom around the face, head and neck.

I have no problem muzzling a dog for toenails or what have you, but if it's a dog that wants to kill me right from the get-go, I'm too old and I can't risk getting hurt. If I get hurt and can't work, I don't get paid.
Old 12-09-2012, 02:05 PM   #15 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Dainerra

freestep is right. It's similar to giving your own rabies vaccine. yes, the dog would be just as vaccinated as having the vet give the shot, but legally the dog will be impounded.
If a wolf-dog was to bite someone, there is a chance that they could oder it killed to check for rabies the same as they would a wild animal.
Dainerra is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 02:30 PM   #16 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
I can understand Chows, but I'm a little surprised at the rest on the list.
I was surprised at first. But honestly, the dogs on that list along with dachshunds and bassets are the worst behaved at the office period. Most are insaneee!
And of the Goldens that come in, only the overweight ones (and my boss's young female), behave well. The leaner ones we have come in tend to be on the psycho side. I suppose, though, that it is because it's a veterinary office.
The dobes, pits, rotties, shepherds, etc. that come in are all very well-behaved and trained. CRAZY!
Old 12-09-2012, 02:31 PM   #17 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
There has already been mention of muzzle-failure......

It's not just the biting, or threat of biting....it's the whole stressful experience of working on a dog that doesn't want to be groomed. They kick they fuss they SCREAM....they pee and poop, and express their anals. They don't stand still. Can you imagine what your own haircut would look like if you constantly moved your head in unpredictable ways? Yet some people think we have a magic wand we can take out and make the mats disappear. OK I tell them yes I have a magic wand, it's called a CLIPPER!

I only do dematting in special situations. It is EXTREMELY hard on your hands, wrists, elbows, and back. After a big dematting session my thumbs wrists and elbows BURN. It is also extremely hard on the dogs! Plus the hair is never the same afterward....think very split ends. Now imagine you spend extra time and muscle on a reclamation project...you make the dog look wonderful, then you don't see them again for 5 or 6 months, or longer, and when you DO see them again the hair is as bad or worse than the last time, and the dog is more wary of the process.

Here's an example....I only do this because I LIKE the dog and she has learned to go with the groom:

Why would anyone choose to have the dog look like the "before" pic most of the time? beats me.....
PAM FGDCh Ianna von Sontausen UDX,BH,TD,RE,PT (4.26.1998 - 2.11.2013)
DunRingill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 02:56 PM   #18 (permalink)
Crowned Member

You did a great job on that dog-looks like a sweet dog too
holland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 03:12 PM   #19 (permalink)
Master Member

Thanks!

Every 4-6 months it's the same thing....I can't tell when I put her on the table if she's dreading the groom, or if she's just miserable about being such a mess, or both. Sometimes I find twigs and stuff in her hair. Sometimes hard candy or gum. Some times her ears are starting to mat to her neck. I give up on the owners, they're hopeless.

BUT she is always smiling by the time we are done, I guess she feels good!
PAM FGDCh Ianna von Sontausen UDX,BH,TD,RE,PT (4.26.1998 - 2.11.2013)

Last edited by DunRingill; 12-09-2012 at 03:13 PM. Reason: I really should type complete thoughts before hitting "send"
DunRingill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 03:25 PM   #20 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunRingill View Post
It's not just the biting, or threat of biting....it's the whole stressful experience of working on a dog that doesn't want to be groomed. They kick they fuss they SCREAM....they pee and poop, and express their anals. They don't stand still.
Yeah, biting isn't even the biggest of my concerns with a dog that doesn't want to be groomed. The thrashing, the screaming, the pooping, the going limp on the table and refusing to stand... I've paid my dues with those kind of dogs and I'm too dang old to get into a wrestling match with a Chow.

Quote:
I only do dematting in special situations. It is EXTREMELY hard on your hands, wrists, elbows, and back. After a big dematting session my thumbs wrists and elbows BURN. It is also extremely hard on the dogs!
Same here. If the dog tolerates it, I'll do spot-dematting, but that's about it. Though I have to say, I did a Schnauzer mix recently that allowed me to demat his entire body, without a blink of his eye. But that was an unusual case. Most dogs do not appreciate having tangles combed out of their hair, as you might imagine.

Quote:
Why would anyone choose to have the dog look like the "before" pic most of the time? beats me.....
Yeah, I can't figure it out either. These people "love" their little dogs to death and yet fail to notice that the dog can't poo because there is hair matted over its anus. Just figured the dog must be due for grooming because she's starting to smell bad... it boggles my mind. I could post some pretty dramatic before-and-afters myself! Don't get us groomers started!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.