Fleas!!! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2012, 01:42 AM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy Fleas!!!

Ok, for the last several months Ace has been dealing with fleas. I give him Frontline Plus once a month and it doesn't seem to be doing anything. I've bought three different type of expensive shampoos for fleas and that doesn't work. I've used Capstar and that doesn't work. I started using Advantage in between the Frontline dosages and that doesn't work. I even bough this special dome light to attract fleas, which hardly works, but catch 8 fleas within a month. I have taking him to the vet twice, the first time back in Aug I was told it was just allergies. I was given meds and a shampoo for it. None of it worked. Sept I had taken him to another vet for a checkup and she found a flea. That's when it was determined he may have a flea issues. I am at a lost on what to do now. I can only imagine the issue may be in my backyard. I'm very frustrated and looking for any type of suggestions that can help
Sammy79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2012, 04:29 PM   #2 (permalink)

Have you ever tried DE (diatomaceous earth)? It's all natural/non-toxic but will kill fleas, ticks, and any other insect in your yard. We used to have a severe problem with scorpions and it killed them too! lol
You can find it at many feed stores. Be sure to get the FOOD GRADE DE. The other type, used for pool filters, can be very dangerous. I believe it has fiberglass in it.
Anyway, you can sprinkle the DE around your yard and on your pets. Try to keep them from breathing it in though as it can be a lung irritant. Also, it only works if it's dry. If you water your yard you will need to reapply when the grass is dry.
I usually apply it once a month and it works great.
reynosa_k9's is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 05:33 PM   #3 (permalink)

I have never tried that before, but will look into it soon. I'm losing my mind over here with fleas. I just used the flea comb to his tail and picked up 4 of them.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Try neem oil...you can buy garden type that you mix and attach to hose and water the lawn with...can also introduce nemotodes into your lawn they will eat the flea larva.

DE as mentioned, sprinkle this through the fur, especially near rump and neck area.

You have to vacuum every day...make up a solution of neem oil (not the garden spray stuff) water and lemon juice in a spray bottle and spray around baseboards, under sofa/furniture etc. Can also do a spray of few drops of lavender oil and water (shake often) and mist bedding.

Invest in a steam shark or other and melt them (not on the dog of course).

You can buy natural flea shampoo (with neem), or if using a basic dog shampoo then add neem and/or lavender (just 5-6 drops to it) and use to wash....do a lemon water rinse after. Once dry, back comb in some DE and apply around baseboards and where ever dog won't stick his nose
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2012, 09:59 AM   #5 (permalink)
M&J
Knighted Member

Send a message via AIM to M&J

I"m a fan of letting Mule Team Borax sit overnight in carpet/furniture, then vacuming in the morning.

LILLY and RUDY
In Memory of MADISON, The King 12/89-6/04
In Memory of JAKE, The Perfect Dog 9/01-11/02
M&J is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2012, 10:22 AM   #6 (permalink)
M&J
Knighted Member

Send a message via AIM to M&J

PS. Arbico sells nematodes for your yard. They are very helpful if you email them.
Join their list and they will send you sale prices every once in a while.

LILLY and RUDY
In Memory of MADISON, The King 12/89-6/04
In Memory of JAKE, The Perfect Dog 9/01-11/02
M&J is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2012, 10:37 AM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

discussion had with holistic vet the other day -- fleas are adapting , becoming resistant , just like rats have adapted and some are warfarin resistant - check your rodenticide packages - yes there is rat bait for warfarin resistant rats .

Make the host, the dog, as healthy and as flea-unattractive as possible.

You may want to fumigate the home once as a knockout knock down . Shampoo dog with Defendex . Nematodes in yard , food grade diatomaceous earth.
carmspack is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 05:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

Hi Sammy! I had posted this on the other "flea" page a few days ago for you but don't know if you saw it. This goes along with what Gator & raynosa_k9 said.
Diatomaceous Earth (DE) might be what you are looking for since other items have failed. DE is a fossil type substance which acts like sharp spines to the fleas, that punctures the exoskeleton and dries them out killing them.

Food Grade DE is rubbed into the dogs fur and used around your home. It is a dusty product so if you have any type of breathing conditions you would want to wear a mask. Some people use this daily in their dog/cats food to keep them parasite free. DO NOT use the DE for swimming pools (dangerous). You should also spread this around your home and in the dogs sleeping area as they may be breeding in your rugs or cracks and crevices around floor boards. Hold close to the floors when applying to cut down on dust billows. Also apply around your whole yard to kill the little buggers! The only drawback is that you will have to re-apply if it rains.
Organic Food Grade: 5#=$12: Nature's Wisdom Diatomaceous Earth DE Food Grade : Out of 600 deposits in the US only 4 are considered "food grade" by the FDA standards. Other food grade deposits still may contain higher amounts of sediment and clay that make them less effective. We have analysis of many other "Food Grade" deposits and are satisfied that we still obtain the diatomaceous earth for our products from the purest fresh water source.
Food Grade: 6#=$22: Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth Diatomaceous earth is excellent for internal and external parasite control. Diatomaceous earth dehydrates insects such as fleas, ticks, ants, bed bugs, flies, worms, mites, etc. The mineral and silica content increase feed utilization. Reported to kill 75% of flies and fleas that come in contact with it within 72 hrs. Can be applied as a foliar spray or sprayed in buildings or just lightly sprinkled in pest infested areas.

I have never personally tried this product but it might be worth it sense you are having such a problem with fleas. You can use this in their food and water: Flea Free Food Supplement 16 ounces = $20
Natural Flea Free contains over 200 vitamins, minerals, amino acids, and enzymes. It is excellent for young puppies, kittens, and other young animals as soon as they start drinking on their own. It is beneficial to the health of pregnant, nursing, breeding, and senior pets since it is excellent for the immune system of all animals. Natural Flea Free Food Supplement is added to your dog, cat, or other pet's food or water and goes to work internally in the blood stream and emits an enzyme which shields the protein the female fleas need to lay eggs. Not sensing a protein, she will jump off the pet and search for another blood meal because if she doesn't draw blood every 20 to 22 hours she will die. Males never bite.
Ingredients: Vinegar ~ is a natural storehouse of vitamins (including beta carotene), minerals, amino acids and beneficial enzymes which contains over 90 different components. It's effective in treating gas in small puppies, helps prevent urinary tract problems in male cats and the formation of mineral stones, and also helps in dissolving hairballs. It has been said to lengthen life, improve hearing, vision, calm nausea. It can also help relieve arthritis, sore muscles, and pain, osteoporosis, prevent cancer, kill infections, condition the skin, aid digestion, control weight, preserve memory, and protect the mind and body from aging as it helps prevent aging and breakdown of joints, bones, and cartilage in the body. Vinegar contains over 30 important nutrients and a dozen minerals and improves overall health.
Garlic ~ is called "nature's antibiotic". Cleanses the liver to break down toxins in the blood. Garlic contains over 200 vitamins, minerals, amino acids, and enzymes. It is very healthy and also repels fleas, most ticks, mosquitoes, lice, mites, and flies. Garlic helps maintain a healthy heart and is excellent for the skin and fur.
Citrus and herbs ~ are beneficial in supplying vitamin C, providing complex carbohydrates, and anti-oxidants. They also reduce free radical damage to tissue and organ systems. The herbs used are the ones found in your own kitchen cabinet, such as ginger. These herbs, along with the vinegar, help with digesting the Flea Free. They make sure that the Flea Free gets into your pet's system so that it can work.
BTW the nematodes are great too just do not use them WITH the DE or they will die.

Hope this helps! Moms

Last edited by Momto2GSDs; 12-09-2012 at 05:21 PM.
Momto2GSDs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 12:36 AM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks for all the information I have Diatomaceous Earth coming tomorrow and I can't to spread it. These fleas remind me of the robots from the movie terminator. Seems like nothing can't stop them. The DE is my last stance!
Old 12-11-2012, 07:55 AM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

Just don't get discouraged! It's not an overnight fix since there are SO many!
You must be persistent putting the DE EVERYWHERE, as you don't know what corner in the house or yard they may be. You can even use this in-between your mattresses! After you have it down for about 5 to 7 days, vacuum and re-apply. This may take several applications. Same with the pooches. When you see it dissipating from their coat, re-apply (watch their eyes and them breathing it in).
You don't want to hear those little "bugger's" saying....."We'll Be Back!"
Momto2GSDs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.