Doggy Smell - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2012, 04:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Doggy Smell

Iím looking for best practices for keeping the doggy smell to a minimum. I already feed raw so I feel thatís the first step, and I give my dog a bath at least every other week.
yuricamp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2012, 12:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to ChancetheGSD Send a message via Yahoo to ChancetheGSD

If I had to take a guess I'd say your dog probably isn't getting completely dry after those baths. Do you have a doggy dryer to use? If not, I'd recommend getting one. Not only will it ensure that the dog gets dry after a bath but it's also AWESOME for blowing out coat. :P You can get one for around $100-$130 on Wholesale Pet Supplies, Dog Grooming | PetEdge.com
ChancetheGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 12:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

My first thought was too many baths and when we do bath them making sure we are getting them dried off. I always struggle with drying my boys neck, it's so dense.

Why so many baths?

Unless my boy is just smelling sour or really got muddy he gets a bath once every 2 months..sometimes longer.

It's also important to brush them often, that will help keep the smell down.

Diet also plays a part.
Courtney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 09:36 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thank you for the responses. My concern is not really after he bathes, because I towel him off as best as I can and take him for a nice active walk before we go back inside. I'm talking about like a week after his last bath. I grewe up an island and dogs were outside dwellers. Now that I have my own animals, I like to keep them inside. Maybe I'm being a bit neurotic, but I don't want to smell my dog when he comes into the room. Not that he is really stinky or anything, he just starts to smell like a dog again after a week. If that is something that everyone just lives with then fine, but I'm just wondering if there WAS a way around it.

As I sit and look at him, I think not. If I didn't bathe for a few days you would certainly SMELL me when I walked into a room, so maybe I should accept that. Especially with all the hair/fur he has.
yuricamp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 03:14 AM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to ChancetheGSD Send a message via Yahoo to ChancetheGSD

Well there is a slight difference in us and dogs, we smell because of sweat. Dogs don't sweat through their skin, their sweat glands are on their paw pads and they regulate temperature (The reason we sweat) by panting. Though even if you towel him off well, he could still have moisture under his coat that is building up between each bath and causing bacteria and yeast to grow therefore causing the doggy smell.

As for bathing your dog regularly, I don't blame you. Sweating or not, I don't like a dirty dog and after my dog has been running around with her friends and rolling in the dirt or swimming in a pond or whatever, she is no doubt dirty. My dogs get bathed every 1-2 weeks for this reason. My dogs don't have a dog smell to them though, even if I did (and have due to situations where I couldn't bathe them) go for much much longer between baths they still don't smell. I really think you've probably got an issue with him not getting dry enough. I also wipe Gretchen down with a baby wipe a lot, she has a bad habit of rolling in stinky stuff and getting into the fish carcasses after fishing trips. x.x
ChancetheGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 06:48 AM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

i'm thinking your dog doesn't smell. he probably has a natural
dog odor but that doesn't mean it's offensive. i bathe my dog
maybe 4 times a year. in the summer he gets sprayed with
the hose a lot.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 07:23 AM   #7 (permalink)
Master Member

Brushing and a heavy duty blow dryer def. help
Is he a long coat?

Perhaps you could try some of those sprays that make the dogs smell "nice"??
Persoanlly I think they are horrible, I'd rather smell dog than "coconut" LOL but hey some people like it, that's why the groomers use it
Mooch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 08:51 AM   #8 (permalink)

Healthy dogs should not smell (unless they frequently swim in lakes or rivers). That doggy odor is probably an overgrowth of yeast or fungus on the skin. The most common cause is food allergies but other things are possible. Not too many vets are knowledgeable about this and most will recommend medicated baths (which only work for a matter of days). Good luck finding a vet that will work with you.
Marnie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 08:56 AM   #9 (permalink)

In my experience it don't matter how many times you wash your dog the common dog smell will always come back after a day or two. Sometimes even the same day. Its a natural smell for them and nothing you can do about it atleast I don't think so. We bath our dogs like once a month unless they were out playing in the rain and snow then straight to the bath.
Justaguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 11:02 AM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

GSDs especially don't need washed every week -2 weeks.

We bathe ours 1x-2x a year, usually once, unless something happens and he gets really dirty.
Some dogs are greasier than others (labs and hounds spring to mind), GSDs are low maintenance, in that department though.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.