German Shepherds Forum banner

The shedding is killing me.

18K views 36 replies 27 participants last post by  m1953 
#1 ·
I vacuum twice a day, AND vacuum and brush Balen everyday but there is still hair everywhere! :( Our clothes are still covered in it, I have to be careful when I'm cooking not to get hair in our food-:eek: When I pet him, I can see the hair floating through the air -you get the idea.

I know he is a German Shepherd, but this seems excessive.

I have heard of supplements that are supposed to help decrease shedding such as fish oil.

Anyone have any suggestions or experience with supplements?

#30 ·
When I first got my gsd, I was going freaking crazy over the shedding especially during the summer. I brushed him every morning and, every night. I was vacuuming constantly. I noticed that the healthier he got, the less he shed. (He was in bad shape when I got him!) I talked to K9 unit officers, military dog handlers, vets ANYONE that could help and, I heard the same responses over and over. It could be allergies. If they are allergic to something in their food, they will shed like crazy. I was also told that a nice steak once a week would do wonders. I now have two shepherds and, they are eating good food and, sure enough get a weekly steak. The shedding issue is a quarter of what it was when I just first got Fynn. Good luck!

#35 ·
I used to work for a groomer, and we had to use the force dryers indoors.

...We had to get on a ladder and scrub hair off of the top of the 12ft walls and ceiling every day.

This is not a neat, tidy tool.

#36 ·
I have a cat that puts my GSD's shedding to shame. I have no idea how she's not bald yet.

...Of course, she's white, so that shows on everything.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.