The shedding is killing me. - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2012, 11:15 AM   #21 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I just wanted to give another shout out for the force dryer.

I bathed Luka yesterday, as she was starting to look a bit unkempt. She wasn't really shedding, but was starting to get a reddish-brown cast to her black saddle, so I knew it was coming.

Bathed her, got her on the table and turned the force dryer on her... I was SHOCKED at how much dead hair came flying out. It was unbelievable. It came out in sheets. I never could have gotten out that much hair with brushing. I wish I could have taken a photo of the hair hurricane I was standing in.

Once I blasted out all the dead hair I could, I Furminated her for about 5 minutes and got more.

It would have been a back-breaking job if I didn't have a force dryer, and I never would have gotten it all... I'd have had to wait until that hair was coming out in clumps and tufts all over the house.

So, Yay for force dryers!
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2012, 11:27 AM   #22 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Force dryers are the best!

Seriously, if I wasn't a groomer with 24/7 access to a shop, I would absolutely go out and buy a force dryer. Even an inexpensive Metro orange canister dryer will get the job done.

My girls are shown, so they're bathed frequently for dog shows. They just don't shed much at all, unless they are blowing coat before going into heat. Then it's a nightmare.

I will admit that I never brush my dogs. Never. If they are blowing coat, I'll bathe them and then blow dry with the force dryer. As Freestep says, the coat will come flying off in sheets.

Carly ~ AKC Champion, GCh pointed, HIC
Sage ~ AKC Ch. pointed (13 pts - chasing that last major), HIC
Russell ~ the big boy
Zelda ~ 14 yo Italian Greyhound, puppymill rescue
Mimi ~ the meezer
dogfaeries is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2012, 12:21 PM   #23 (permalink)
Elite Member

What's a force dryer? Rocco is scared of my blow dryer. I don't think I could use on him.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Lucky (cat) ~ Beauty (cat) ~ MuMu (cat)
Angelina03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2012, 01:03 PM   #24 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I think LC's are the worst for shedding year round, and Jax08 has a good point. With the weather jumping back and forth it is affecting our dogs and grooming habits. I brush about every other day and the hair flies 24/7. Guess I would be used to it after three years or more of having coaties, but then I find a dog hair somewhere I don't like them.

Zisso is my heart~Nadia is my Love~My kitties bring me everything in between~Together they bring me Joy!
Zisso is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2012, 03:29 PM   #25 (permalink)
Crowned Member

A force dryer is just a very powerful blow dryer without the heat. The fast-moving, concentrated stream of air cuts right through the coat down to the skin, and moves the water from the root of the hair to the tip and out. It separates the strands of hair from each other and fluffs up the coat, and dries it quickly. Not only that, but it blasts any dead hair, dander, dirt or debris out, too. A good force dryer reduces brushing by about 90%.

It is noisy and some dogs don't like it at first, but once you get them accustomed to it, most big dogs like the force dryer--it feels kind of like a massage.
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2012, 05:54 PM   #26 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Dainerra

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchonGSD View Post
! Our clothes are still covered in it, I have to be careful when I'm cooking not to get hair in our food-
you don't have dog hair in your food???

as for the clothes:

Dainerra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 01:12 PM   #27 (permalink)
Master Member

What dryer is most recommended? I just "gave up" on handling the fall shed out on my own (I swear it is extended and worse this year-I could make a litter of lab puppies from what is coming off Abby and don't even get me started on Huxley!) and brought the dogs to the groomer about an hour ago and now I sit here thinking I could probably buy a dryer for what this is going to cost me
GrammaD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 01:45 PM   #28 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dainerra View Post
you don't have dog hair in your food???

Ok I admit, I've had to pick it out a few times.....

as for the clothes:

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/1275860

Failure *is* success, if you learn from it.
PatchonGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 01:46 PM   #29 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freestep View Post
A force dryer is just a very powerful blow dryer without the heat. The fast-moving, concentrated stream of air cuts right through the coat down to the skin, and moves the water from the root of the hair to the tip and out. It separates the strands of hair from each other and fluffs up the coat, and dries it quickly. Not only that, but it blasts any dead hair, dander, dirt or debris out, too. A good force dryer reduces brushing by about 90%.

It is noisy and some dogs don't like it at first, but once you get them accustomed to it, most big dogs like the force dryer--it feels kind of like a massage.
Do you take your dog outside to use it?

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/1275860

Failure *is* success, if you learn from it.
PatchonGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 02:03 PM   #30 (permalink)

When I first got my gsd, I was going freaking crazy over the shedding especially during the summer. I brushed him every morning and, every night. I was vacuuming constantly. I noticed that the healthier he got, the less he shed. (He was in bad shape when I got him!) I talked to K9 unit officers, military dog handlers, vets ANYONE that could help and, I heard the same responses over and over. It could be allergies. If they are allergic to something in their food, they will shed like crazy. I was also told that a nice steak once a week would do wonders. I now have two shepherds and, they are eating good food and, sure enough get a weekly steak. The shedding issue is a quarter of what it was when I just first got Fynn. Good luck!
Fynn&Vandy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.