The shedding is killing me. - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2012, 01:38 PM   #11 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Since I've been keeping the dogs in the sunroom during the day and there is no heat in there, I thought Lakota would stop shedding...HA! She likes to lay on the love seat, I keep a sheet on it for easy clean up, there is always a pile of white hair on the floor. Apache & Kiya are both long coat and barely ever shed unless your brushing them. White hair everywhere.
Lakota - WGSD 1/13/10
kiya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2012, 02:12 PM   #12 (permalink)
Crowned Member

You can use supplements, feed the best of foods, and groom regularly, but some GSD's just shed more than others and people that haven't owned multiple GSD's at the same time usually don't understand how true that is. So you'll get a lot of recommendations for "I use this and my GSD doesn't shed that much..." and it either means: A) their dog just simply doesn't shed as much as yours or B) their standards are lower.

We have three german shepherds. I won't count the malinois since he hardly sheds period....Out of the three GSD's I have, one truely is a twice a year blow coat kind of girl. She doesn't shed that much outside of the twice annually. One sheds horribly YEAR round with a really bad shed twice a year in addition. The other sheds somewhere between the other two and I swear has probably 4x's a yr that she sheds badly.

My mom has two GSD's. One doesn't shed hardly at all, I mean hardly. He has a vry short tight coat with a thin undercoat. The other has the thickest undercoat I've ever seen on a dog. It doesn't seem like it when you look at her, but she sheds buckets. When she gets a good bath and blowout, it looks like she's lost 10 lbs because all the loose fluffy undercoat is gone.

Worth noting, my dogs are fed a good quality diet, her dogs despite my talking to her regularly eat (usually) pedigree. The dog of hers that sheds a ton, we had when I lived with her years ago before buying my own house, getting married (yada yada ) and that dog ate a grain free diet back then. She still sheds exactly the same now on pedigree as she did on a grain free diet when I lived there and was buying the food. The other dog of hers that doesn't shed at all hardly was a foster dog I had after I had already moved out. she adopted him from her after his HW treatment was finished as a companion for her female, and his diet went from great (not grain free) to pedigree. He still sheds the same.

you also have to watch here when people post about how much their dog sheds, because a lot of times newer members with young dogs (under a yr) post about how their GSD doesn't shed much. IME, GSD's don't really start shedding until their adult coat comes in after 6 months old, and really don't start shedding until around a yr and up.
Rerun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 03:05 PM   #13 (permalink)

Ditto on some of Rerun's info. My last black GSD had a thinner coat, and hardly shed at all, regardless of the season.

My current Silver Sable sheds all the time, twice per season real bad. I get a slight reprieve in late August through most of October before it begine again.

All my black clothing from my black GSD is variegated now! Vacuum, vacuum, vacuum........ I am glad he loves to be groomed and vacuumed.

I also have three different styles of brushes that I alternate. Not sure how much it helps, but I would like to think it does.

Fun times!
BWCA Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 03:08 PM   #14 (permalink)
Elite Member

German Shedders! Scarlett tends to shed worse than usual a few times a year. The rest of the time, it's manageable, but noticiable.

I am headed out to brush her out before our walk. I am hoping more hair will blow off when we are outside.

On a positive note, you should see the lovely, soft bird nests we have around our house in the spring.

If you are going through hades, keep going!
Scarlettsmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 03:11 PM   #15 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Hmmm. Honestly, I don't brush Rocket NEARLY as often as I should, but the hair is still a QUARTER of what it was with my labrador. Honestly, I think some of it is just individual dogs. Is he on a good food that agrees with him? I don't mean the most expensive food, but dogs do better on some foods than others. Rocket does fab on Orijen, but he doesn't love it. I'm just now trying a new food, but if he doesn't appear to do as well, back he'll go to Orijen, because he looks stunning on it.

http://redheadsrocketsandramblings.blogspot.com/
RocketDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 03:27 PM   #16 (permalink)
Crowned Member

My GSD doesn't do much shedding, but the golden is a whole different story. The golden is going in to the groomers and I have them furminate him....his hair is everywhere
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 03:32 PM   #17 (permalink)
Master Member

Neither of my Shepherds shed much. Ironhide only sheds about 6 weeks before going into heat (twice a year), and I can usually get out all the undercoat in 2 brushing sessions. Gladiator barely sheds at all, not even enough to leave hair in his crate...*knock on wood*

I brush them maybe once a month (get maybe two handfulls of hair on a 30 minte brushing session each), and do a full groom 3-6 times a year (bath, blow dry, brush), but other than that its just nails twice a month.

Both are on a diet of Acana/TOTW/The Honest Kitchen, they are supplemented with fresh meat, veggies and small amounts of fruit, Salmon Oil, Seameal and Nupro.

Both are indoor dogs, but they do have outdoor kennels with insulated dog houses (with straw) that they use 2-4 hours a day, and they are usually crated in my truck during the week so we can run at lunch and train after work.
N Smith is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 04:28 PM   #18 (permalink)

I just presumed the daily- twice daily vacuuming was all part of having GSDs ;0)

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free
Candace is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2012, 11:26 AM   #19 (permalink)
Elite Member

Wow. You all vacuum twice a day??!! I can't even vacuum twice a week most of the time. Within 2 days of cleaning, my house needs another; but I never have the time for more than once a week. It's so hard to keep clean.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Lucky (cat) ~ Beauty (cat) ~ MuMu (cat)
Angelina03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2012, 11:44 AM   #20 (permalink)
Master Member

No way I could manage vacuuming twice daily. I have parrots as well and have a small vacuum to do spot vacuums and then I vacuum the main level every second day. The rest of the house where Jake doesn't spend as much time gets vacuumed weekly.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.