German Shepherds Forum banner

Pet insurance... Which to choose

5K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  Angelina03 
#1 ·
Do you use pet insurance? If so, which ones do you recommend. I'm shopping for Rocco.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

#3 ·
I have Pet Plan I pay $57 a month my deductible is $200 the coverage is up to $25,000 inlcludes kennel fees and training if recommended by your vet. It is the only insurance that I found that covers pre existing conditiongs and genetic conditions. Otherwise there are many out there ranging $25-50 not even comparing to the coverage Pet Plan offers. I think $20 more a month is better than not having coverage for most costly vet care. Although I HATE their high deductible, I might go for a lower decuctible but higher monthly cost next enrollment.

#4 ·
We have Pet Plan. It just renewed, at a cost of $60.56 per month. $200 deductible, 80% reimbursement level.

We've filed a claim for Joey's neutering, removal of growth from his paw and related bloodwork and medications.

Curious to see what we get back.

#15 ·
$80 for one?? what is your deductible?? I have Trupanion on Aska, Katya, and Jager and its ~$120 per month total, $250 deductible.

#6 · (Edited)
I have Pet Plan @ $200 deductible and 80% coverage and am sitting at $337.37 annual renewal. I am not sure what the monthly would cost (I think a little more).

silver plan
veterinary fees = $12,000
boarding kennel and cattery fees = $250
advertising and reward = $250
loss due to theft or straying = $250
deductible = $200
reimbursement level = 80%

EDIT: The webpage says that if you choose monthly it would be $30.31 (vs. $337.37 annually or $28.11 if you divide it by 12)

#9 ·
The other one, which we go to, doesn't accept pet insurance.
I've never heard of a clinic accepting pet insurance. You pay and the pet insurance reimburses you for the expenses paid to the vet. It has nothing to do with the vet's accepting it or not. The insurance pays you directly whatever they feel is "acceptable" depending on your plan.

#10 ·
I've been doing some research and so far Healthy Paws seems to be the best quality for the price. Does anyone have any information to negate that? I want to make sure I get good insurance for Rocco.

#11 ·
I have never heard of Healthy Paws. Like every one else I have Pet Plan. I went with the $200 deductible and 100% reimbursement. It costs me $37/ month for Dharma and $41/ month for Pippa. Also Like people have said, they are the only ones I have found that cover genetic diseases like hip dysplasia, they will also cover their knees if they ever have to have surgery on them.

I had looked into VPI since I would get a discount through my job but their reimbursement sucked. They only reimburse based on what they feel is a "customary allowable charge" so if one of my dogs need surgery and the bill is $2500 but the customary allowable charge is only $1500, that is all VPI will reimburse. Pet Plan will reimburse all of it after my deductible is met.

#12 ·
#13 ·
I just read that thread, and you did a great job kr16!

I had PetCare (I'm in Canada) with one of my dogs and it was a freaking nightmare. They fought me for everything.

My last dog, Abby, I was with trupanion, and they were awesome. Abby tore her ACL ... they paid $4000 immediately, no questions. Abby also had hip HD and they paid for treatment (I got the "huge" plan ... just in case) and I was really glad I did. They paid out over $14,000 in the 6.5 years I had her. Never regretted it.

I have it for Ky, and she had giardia ... they paid for all of the treatment. She also got an eye infection ... they paid it all. No problems.

The only issue I will be fighting is in regards to vaccines ... I want to titer, and I have a holistic vet, so I am hoping that they will accept that in lieu of vaccines ... time will tell.

kr16 ... you're so right ... you can pay hundreds and never use it ... that's awesome ...

but for some people to put that money away ... I would never have been able to pay that kind of money for my last dog ... life happens sometimes, and it's not always pretty!

Thanks again for that last thread! You had more patience than most!

#14 ·
Thanks so much. Truepanion is great unless you do not neuter your dog which I have not, so I went with Petplan and they have paid out lots of money already with me.

I will be in Canada in January. Going to Sarnia, to coach a team in Silver Sticks, huge international hockey tournament

#18 ·
I need to mention that kr16's knowledge of the industry and expertise in breaking down the policies is what brought me to PetPlan. I greatly appreciate it!!

#19 ·
$80 for one?? what is your deductible?? I have Trupanion on Aska, Katya, and Jager and its ~$120 per month total, $250 deductible.
My exact is $88.16 / month ... NO deductible (I mentioned that already LOL) I went with the HD option just in case ... and in the next 6 months or so (I'll get her examined) I'll have it removed and it will go down $25/month

#21 ·
Just FYI.. The ever popular Petplan used by many here is "soon to be available" in Ontario. For some reason they are right across Canada except Ontario and Quebec.

The breeder put a trial of PetSecure on Kira (thankfully, as we paid out a lot for the MegaE issue) and I am waiting on reimbursement. Curious to see how they handle it.

-Frank

#24 ·
These responses have been very helpful and informative, helping me in asking the right questions. I finally went with Healthy Paws. I purchased Rocco's insurance last night! I feel much relief. I will most likely add my cats after the holidays.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.