Pet insurance... Which to choose - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2012, 05:04 PM   #11 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I have never heard of Healthy Paws. Like every one else I have Pet Plan. I went with the $200 deductible and 100% reimbursement. It costs me $37/ month for Dharma and $41/ month for Pippa. Also Like people have said, they are the only ones I have found that cover genetic diseases like hip dysplasia, they will also cover their knees if they ever have to have surgery on them.

I had looked into VPI since I would get a discount through my job but their reimbursement sucked. They only reimburse based on what they feel is a "customary allowable charge" so if one of my dogs need surgery and the bill is $2500 but the customary allowable charge is only $1500, that is all VPI will reimburse. Pet Plan will reimburse all of it after my deductible is met.
-Pippa Von Neurotic Butt- GSD
-Tessa- 11yo GSD- Waiting at the Bridge. RIP sweet girl.
DharmasMom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2012, 08:14 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master Member

I swore I wouldn't post on a pet insurance post again.

Every plan has exceptions, Truepanion has them as well. Read the actual policy.

I have already broken down all these companies in previous posts, I still do not know anyone who has healthy paws. It still looks good and its owned by a very large insurance company. They also have good prices

http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...pinions-5.html
kr16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 08:51 PM   #13 (permalink)
Elite Member

I just read that thread, and you did a great job kr16!

I had PetCare (I'm in Canada) with one of my dogs and it was a freaking nightmare. They fought me for everything.

My last dog, Abby, I was with trupanion, and they were awesome. Abby tore her ACL ... they paid $4000 immediately, no questions. Abby also had hip HD and they paid for treatment (I got the "huge" plan ... just in case) and I was really glad I did. They paid out over $14,000 in the 6.5 years I had her. Never regretted it.

I have it for Ky, and she had giardia ... they paid for all of the treatment. She also got an eye infection ... they paid it all. No problems.

The only issue I will be fighting is in regards to vaccines ... I want to titer, and I have a holistic vet, so I am hoping that they will accept that in lieu of vaccines ... time will tell.

kr16 ... you're so right ... you can pay hundreds and never use it ... that's awesome ...

but for some people to put that money away ... I would never have been able to pay that kind of money for my last dog ... life happens sometimes, and it's not always pretty!

Thanks again for that last thread! You had more patience than most!
Old 11-30-2012, 10:14 AM   #14 (permalink)
Master Member

Thanks so much. Truepanion is great unless you do not neuter your dog which I have not, so I went with Petplan and they have paid out lots of money already with me.

I will be in Canada in January. Going to Sarnia, to coach a team in Silver Sticks, huge international hockey tournament

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyleigh View Post
I just read that thread, and you did a great job kr16!

I had PetCare (I'm in Canada) with one of my dogs and it was a freaking nightmare. They fought me for everything.

My last dog, Abby, I was with trupanion, and they were awesome. Abby tore her ACL ... they paid $4000 immediately, no questions. Abby also had hip HD and they paid for treatment (I got the "huge" plan ... just in case) and I was really glad I did. They paid out over $14,000 in the 6.5 years I had her. Never regretted it.

I have it for Ky, and she had giardia ... they paid for all of the treatment. She also got an eye infection ... they paid it all. No problems.

The only issue I will be fighting is in regards to vaccines ... I want to titer, and I have a holistic vet, so I am hoping that they will accept that in lieu of vaccines ... time will tell.

kr16 ... you're so right ... you can pay hundreds and never use it ... that's awesome ...

but for some people to put that money away ... I would never have been able to pay that kind of money for my last dog ... life happens sometimes, and it's not always pretty!

Thanks again for that last thread! You had more patience than most!
Old 11-30-2012, 10:45 AM   #15 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyleigh View Post
Trupanion (not sure if they have it in the states) $80 / month, no deductible and 100% lifetime coverage for all accidents and illnesses ... no exceptions!
$80 for one?? what is your deductible?? I have Trupanion on Aska, Katya, and Jager and its ~$120 per month total, $250 deductible.
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald, 2 x SchH3, Kkl 1
hunterisgreat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 10:46 AM   #16 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kr16 View Post
Thanks so much. Truepanion is great unless you do not neuter your dog which I have not, so I went with Petplan and they have paid out lots of money already with me.

I will be in Canada in January. Going to Sarnia, to coach a team in Silver Sticks, huge international hockey tournament
Why do you say that? Jäger and Katya are both intact
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald, 2 x SchH3, Kkl 1
hunterisgreat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 11:01 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterisgreat View Post
Without digging deep into Trupanion's webpage I noticed this at the bottom:

"Limitations
There are coverage limitations* for pets that have not been spayed or neutered prior to their first birthday, within 30 days of adoption, or within a time frame of their veterinarian's medical recommendation. Some examples of conditions not covered for pets in this category are testicular tumors, mammary tumors, and uterine and ovarian conditions. See our sample policy for full details. "

Pet Insurance Policy Overview | Trupanion

I also found this in the sample policy:

Quote:
(1) For pets that have not been neutered or spayed prior to their first birthday, no coverage shall
apply for illness related to prostate problems, hormonal skin conditions, testicular tumors,
perianal tumors, mammary tumors, uterine and ovarian conditions, birthing, or injury due to
fighting, collision with a motor vehicle or aggressive behavior. This limitation does not apply to
pets that have been spayed or neutered prior to their first birthday, to pets where the timing of
being spayed or neutered was in conjunction with their veterinarian’s medical recommendations,
or to pets spayed or neutered within 30 days of being adopted;

Last edited by gowen; 11-30-2012 at 11:03 AM.
gowen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 11:07 AM   #18 (permalink)

I need to mention that kr16's knowledge of the industry and expertise in breaking down the policies is what brought me to PetPlan. I greatly appreciate it!!
Old 11-30-2012, 11:13 AM   #19 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
$80 for one?? what is your deductible?? I have Trupanion on Aska, Katya, and Jager and its ~$120 per month total, $250 deductible.
My exact is $88.16 / month ... NO deductible (I mentioned that already LOL) I went with the HD option just in case ... and in the next 6 months or so (I'll get her examined) I'll have it removed and it will go down $25/month
Old 11-30-2012, 11:29 AM   #20 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterisgreat View Post
Gowen found the clause. I also broke it down in the topic I did in my link in my post below
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.