Exercise Suggestions - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2012, 11:34 AM   #1 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Default Exercise Suggestions

Zeeva is overweight :c I don't know if it's the winter but I feel like she's always been a tad bit heavy and I worry about her health. Can you suggest some exercises for us to build muscle and help her shed the extra fat?

Here's what we do:
Walk 1-2 times a day for 30-40 minutes
Walky doggy (but she gets tired or bored within 10 minutes; she literally stops and won't run any more. I've tried increasing her stamina over the course of several weeks but she simply will not run after about 10, 15 minutes max).

Here's what we aren't too keen on doing:
Hiking
Agility Classes
Swimming (I wouldn't even know where to begin on this one as she isn't very well socialized so taking her to a doggy swim area wouldn't be responsible)

Here's what we may do if suggested that it would help:
Running?
Increase our walk time?
Increase the number of walks we take?
Decrease food intake? She is fed two cups of Instinct daily and seems to be doing well on it but I don't think this'll help her build muscle.

Any other suggestions for us?
Zeeva is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2012, 12:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Does Zeeva like to fetch?
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 12:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilie View Post
Does Zeeva like to fetch?
Mmm..Yes and no. But that's a great idea. I've attempted to teach her. Since her recall isn't solid I keep her on a long line and toss something. She loses interest after a few tosses. For some farting reason she'd rather sniff the ground than bring the fetch toy back...
Old 11-20-2012, 12:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

I do what I call urban agility with Kyleigh. I saw on thread in here a while ago, have no idea where it is now about lots of people doing this with their dogs.

I take her to kids play structures and get her to go up the ladders, down the slide, through tunnels, etc. I also take her into the city and get her to jump onto half walls, in and out of empty water fountains, up and down lots of stairs. Up and over benches, picnic tables, anything I see that I think she can jump on / over, whatever.

It keeps her trim and she's having a blast (keeps me in shape too b/c I have to lead her!)

EDIT: I found the thread: Agility in the 'real' world

Last edited by Kyleigh; 11-20-2012 at 12:15 PM.
Kyleigh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 12:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyleigh View Post
I do what I call urban agility with Kyleigh. I saw on thread in here a while ago, have no idea where it is now about lots of people doing this with their dogs.

I take her to kids play structures and get her to go up the ladders, down the slide, through tunnels, etc. I also take her into the city and get her to jump onto half walls, in and out of empty water fountains, up and down lots of stairs. Up and over benches, picnic tables, anything I see that I think she can jump on / over, whatever.

It keeps her trim and she's having a blast (keeps me in shape too b/c I have to lead her!)

EDIT: I found the thread: Agility in the 'real' world
Thank you lovely c:
Old 11-20-2012, 01:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeva View Post
She loses interest after a few tosses. For some farting reason she'd rather sniff the ground than bring the fetch toy back...
Have you tried letting her work tracks? Take half of her kibble and make a trail with it (start out really easy) and let her follow the trail as she eats her meal. You can do it in the house or outside.
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Old 11-20-2012, 01:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Amina,
If you know Zeeva's hips are ok and you have some stairs in your home, we play this game of bouncing a ball up and down the stairs. Bear will go to the top of the stairs and we will throw the ball down and when he's down the steps we throw the ball (or other toy) up. It's like my own personal stair master as well
I know that going up (gradual inclines) can help build muscle. I wonder if dogs are like humans and will store extra fat for the upcoming winter/cold months. FWIW I don't think Zeeva looks over weight from the last pics that you posted

PS. I should note that my stairs are carpeted and I wouldn't do it if the stairs are not.
Old 11-20-2012, 01:16 PM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear GSD View Post
Amina,
If you know Zeeva's hips are ok and you have some stairs in your home, we play this game of bouncing a ball up and down the stairs. Bear will go to the top of the stairs and we will throw the ball down and when he's down the steps we throw the ball (or other toy) up. It's like my own personal stair master as well
I know that going up (gradual inclines) can help build muscle. I wonder if dogs are like humans and will store extra fat for the upcoming winter/cold months. FWIW I don't think Zeeva looks over weight from the last pics that you posted

PS. I should note that my stairs are carpeted and I wouldn't do it if the stairs are not.
Yea our basement stairs aren't carpeted :c I'm not too keen on letting her run up and down the stairs for exercise. I'm horrible for not having her hip ex-rays done yet.

Thanks for the suggestion. She may not be overweight in your eyes, but she definitely could use more muscle and tone just for health reasons c:
Old 11-20-2012, 02:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeva View Post
Yea our basement stairs aren't carpeted :c I'm not too keen on letting her run up and down the stairs for exercise. I'm horrible for not having her hip ex-rays done yet.
Zeeva - if there isn't any obvious reasons to have her hips x-rayed, then I certainly wouldn't sweat it.
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Old 11-20-2012, 02:59 PM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilie View Post
Zeeva - if there isn't any obvious reasons to have her hips x-rayed, then I certainly wouldn't sweat it.
I don't know if there's any obvious reason to have her x-rays done. She does sit lop-sided and she has a snakelike sway in her back when she walks. I don't know if those are bad signs...I worry that I may be missing something so I should get it done just for peace of mind, but I'm also terrified of the results and the cost :c
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.