Is merely existing enough for a dog? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2012, 10:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Default Is merely existing enough for a dog?

Do you think that a dog that merely exists is happy/should live that way? By 'merely exists' I mean a dog that gets enough food and water; a dog that has some interaction with humans; a dog with an understanding of basic OB but no formal training; a dog that has adequate shelter from the elements; a dog that has no other dog friends; a dog that receives no exercise; a dog that is usually outside; a dog that is healthy but may or may not be up to date on vaccinations...I don't mean a shelter dog, an abused dog or even a neglected dog although I realize that there is a fine line between merely existing and neglect...

I guess, sadly, I wonder this because I feel like MY life is a mere existence right now. Doesn't necessarily mean I shouldn't continue living. Plus my life is more in MY control than a dog's life...We all deserve a bit better don't we....?
Zeeva is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2012, 10:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I don't think that dogs find simply existing enough. They're man's best friends, our companions. They NEED to be treated as such, not just kept in existence.
The fact that they cannot speak for themselves makes me feel that even more so.

I also don't think that anyone should "just exist." Now, I do NOT think that people who feel as though they simply exist should die either.

I am messaging you privately rather than making a spin-off on your thread. But here are a couple of things I try to think of when I feel the way you do right now:
You can't change everything in life. But you can change what you can, and rise to meet what you can't.
Life is suffering, and it's hard. But we can still always find rays of light... Reasons to keep living. And pleasantries that are worth more than a thousand bad things.

I also want you to listen to a song. I'm a very corny person, I know And sorry if I'm off topic, I'm really not trying to be. I just understand the feeling so I guess I'm adressing that more than anything. Here's the song... I love listening to it when I'm sad.
And in the end- NOBODY deserves to feel as though they're merely existing.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:44 PM   #3 (permalink)

I know you are having a rough time and I feel for you but getting out there and walking the dog would be good for both of you because exercise is good for your mood. Also when there was times I could not walk, 2 months after sugery and real bad weather, my dog was still ok. Love them and play with when you can. We all have things in our lives that throws routines out of whack
Midnight12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2012, 10:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

My pets keep me going hun. When Xerxes does something cute like try to catch snow flakes; when they come up and demand to be petted because " I'm cute and deserve it!" That helps me. Zeeva, please don't give up. We would all miss you and the world would be a sader place without you. you ARE important. /hugs hard
Nikitta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2012, 11:01 PM   #5 (permalink)

Well, bubbles is always with me except at work. She wishes/expects I'd play more on top of me feeding, exercising, and training her and spend every second with her.

So in Bubbles opinion she thinks you need to go above and beyond to make a dog happy... I'm exhausted lol. In conclusion no dogs want more out of life then the minimum.
Bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2012, 11:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Well...I don't know if you can compare your life to a dog. Dogs are pretty content just to be. They live in the moment. Are they sad when left outside? Maybe. We have two Boxers that are my husband's. He really doesn't do much with them. They are in the house, get attention from him but mostly they just want to be near him. Is Jax content just to be? No. She's a maniac with no off switch.

People think...constantly. Very few of us can just sit and be peaceful, especially in this culture of technology and the faster the better. Very few of us know how to just be at ease.

When is your counseling appt?

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2012, 11:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master Member

Life does have a lot of highs and lows. The different seasons of nature, the passing of time. Each day with a new purpose for just that day. Sometimes have to look for the purpose of some days more than others. Sometimes just have to be still and reflect. There's a reason for each day we are here, maybe just to help another being exist.
readaboutdogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2012, 12:11 AM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

When I start to feel bad about my life, I just watch the news, read the newspaper, or just talk to people and see the sadness everywhere. Then all of the sudden my life isn't so bad I don't wish sadness on anyone, but there are lots of people worse off then me and they embrace life with positive attitudes. If they can do it, so can I.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2012, 12:15 AM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Sometimes when I feel like I'm just going through the motions of life, I remind myself of the goals that I really want to reach. They help bring me back to some motivation to keep working and persevering and it makes me feel better knowing that I have something to work towards.

Maybe make a list of goals that you'd like to reach in the future and start to think about productive ways to work towards them and move forward with your life.
GatorDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2012, 03:34 AM   #10 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeva View Post
Do you think that a dog that merely exists is happy/should live that way? By 'merely exists' I mean a dog that gets enough food and water; a dog that has some interaction with humans; a dog with an understanding of basic OB but no formal training; a dog that has adequate shelter from the elements; a dog that has no other dog friends; a dog that receives no exercise; a dog that is usually outside; a dog that is healthy but may or may not be up to date on vaccinations...I don't mean a shelter dog, an abused dog or even a neglected dog although I realize that there is a fine line between merely existing and neglect...

I guess, sadly, I wonder this because I feel like MY life is a mere existence right now. Doesn't necessarily mean I shouldn't continue living. Plus my life is more in MY control than a dog's life...We all deserve a bit better don't we....?

I am confused about what question you are actually asking... life is what you make it, if you want to be happy you have to make yourself happy, get out in the world, stop hiding, you live in the big city, meet new people even online, thats how I met my soulmate and we been happy for 6 years now. I felt very depressed at one point in my life, seemed like every day is same old I was praying I was asking God for help. Jesus changed my life, I am happy now.

We all have our dark moments but everyday that is going by you can't bring it back, if you feel like you can't find happiness then start making others happy, that will bring purpose to your life. Don't give up because you are not a loser. Smile everyday because IT CAN get worse, pull yourself together you are stronger than you think. Look at your dog for example... would she ever give up? Even if dog lived in terrible conditions they would still be in survival mode and not giving up mode.
julie87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.