Stray dogs attracted by bitches in heat? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2012, 10:59 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Stray dogs attracted by bitches in heat?

I've always heard the saying "males from MILES around will be on your doorstep when your female is in season".

Has anyone with an intact bitch EVER had a stray male show up at their place when their female went in season?

Granted I only have one cycling bitch right now (soon to be two) but in the 5 years I've had her I've NEVER had stray males show up at our place when she went into season.

Heck, not even the local (as in across the street) coyote pack have shown interest.

How TRULY prevalent is this??
Chimanes Spice it Up Piquin (Kaynya) - Chinese Crested
Nator von Triton HIC CGC (Mauser) - LC GSD
Piquins Some Like it Hot (Spike) Chinese Crested
Piquins Too Hot To Handle - (Fuego) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Wasabi (Sabi) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Super Hot (Clark) - Chinese Crested
Banzai, Cloe, Mocha - Felines Extraordinaire
Neke, Tessa, Remi, Sadie, Riggs, Sasha, Tazer - DK, Mozart, Zoe - Gone but not forgotten
Lauri & The Gang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2012, 11:08 AM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Never. I too have coyote packs in my area, and have never had any issues. She played 2 ball, did obedience/bitework and hung out with me outside during her entire cycle. She peed and marked all over the place. I never had anyone show up.

In fact, I had an intact male in the same room while she was crated during her peak days and even then, there was only a little bit of foolishness and he cut it out after I told him. BTW, I really don't buy the "breeding through a crate" story either. My two intact dogs are in the same room during most of her cycle with him or her in the crate. I never even had him attempt to mount her through the crate. Wonder where these stories come from and if anybody actually had this happen...
qbchottu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2012, 11:09 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Nope. Never.
Boaz von der Quellwasser - little man in training!

http://vomfeuergarten.weebly.com/
GatorDog is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2012, 11:17 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

We did when I was a teenager. My dad's Catahoula went into heat and was bred by a stray.

At the Bridge:
Cash van der Animal Shelter 2006-2010
Emoore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2012, 11:18 AM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qbchottu View Post
Never. I too have coyote packs in my area, and have never had any issues. She played 2 ball, did obedience/bitework and hung out with me outside during her entire cycle. She peed and marked all over the place. I never had anyone show up.

In fact, I had an intact male in the same room while she was crated during her peak days and even then, there was only a little bit of foolishness and he cut it out after I told him. BTW, I really don't buy the "breeding through a crate" story either. My two intact dogs are in the same room during most of her cycle with him or her in the crate. I never even had him attempt to mount her through the crate. Wonder where these stories come from and if anybody actually had this happen...

Never had a stray dog show up while Zefra has been in heat.

I too have a intact male in the house (2 bedroom apartment actually) and have never had my male be more than "silly" with her near by.

This past heat he was at her crate though, and I wanted to see what he would do before correcting him for bugging her and he jumped up on the crate and mounted it, and did try a few attempts to hump it. She was NOT happy and almost bit him.... After that attempt, no more being in the same room with her in the crate unless we are watching 24/7 (we did anyways but now we are REALLY anal about it!).

elisabeth_00117 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2012, 11:21 AM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I don't think that claim is logical or realistic for the average modern dog.

From research and experience, stray dogs of any canine species will "follow" and "travel" to a female under one circumstance: she is in heat, ready to be bred, marking territory as she travels freely in the world. I can't understand how dogs from miles away will find a female in her backyard in the middle of the city, with the vast myriad of scents assaulting their noses on a daily basis. It would likely be a stray dog very close by, with the female constantly loose in the backyard, that would create that scenario if anything.

A wolf/dog/coyote will travel and follow a marking female in the wild, in hopes of finding her alone and receptive to breeding / forming a new pack with their potential offspring.

"May my enemies live long so they can see me progress."

www.germanshepherdguide.com
Wild Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2012, 11:22 AM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

When Malice was in heat I did not have any males show up.

When we went for a walk and when we went to the beach males still did not show up.

My male never left the yard for a female when he was intact.

Sinister ~ black GSD 3.11.09
Draven ~ Dalmatian 6.30.13
LaRen616 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2012, 11:27 AM   #8 (permalink)

Nope, never. That being said, there are very few stray dogs in my hood and I would say the neutered rate is very high. I believe neutered males will still express interest in a bitch in heat but they won't climb 10ft fences to get to her.
pfitzpa1 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2012, 11:27 AM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elisabeth_00117 View Post
This past heat he was at her crate though, and I wanted to see what he would do before correcting him for bugging her and he jumped up on the crate and mounted it, and did try a few attempts to hump it.
But an actual breeding?? Of course I'm not denying they mount, jump and act silly, but where do these stories about actual breedings happening through kennels or crates come from? I suppose a husky or similar type could climb a kennel wall and go through the opening up top to get to a female in heat. But through it?? I always thought they were just embellished stories to scare people into altering their pets.
qbchottu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2012, 11:33 AM   #10 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauri & The Gang View Post
I've always heard the saying "males from MILES around will be on your doorstep when your female is in season".

Has anyone with an intact bitch EVER had a stray male show up at their place when their female went in season?

Granted I only have one cycling bitch right now (soon to be two) but in the 5 years I've had her I've NEVER had stray males show up at our place when she went into season.

Heck, not even the local (as in across the street) coyote pack have shown interest.

How TRULY prevalent is this??

I have not seen any stray males around when my girl goes in heat either. I am extra alert when walking her while she is in heat, but so far I have not had any incidents.

[COLOR="Purple"]Michelle
Mom to
Stella ~ GSD
Figgy ~ Tuxedo Cat
CoCo ~ Tabby Cat

RIP
Rio, GSD
SheRah, GSD Mix
Stella's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.