I would like to get to know YOU n your GSD! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2012, 03:15 AM   #1 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Default I would like to get to know YOU n your GSD!

I like to ask questions so I apologize. This one isn't as fun but it's just as important to me as the previous 'I would like to get to know' post...and thanks for making the last thread (IMO) a success. I learned a lot from it and had tons of fun! Bare with me through this one again

1. What is your daily routine with your GSDs? (keep it short..)

2. How do you groom your GSDs? (I wanna know all! cleaning eye buggers, combing, cleaning ears, brushing teeth, clipping nails, expressing anal glands anything you can think of)

3. How often do you do poopy patrol and how do you do it? (i.e. I do poopy patrol twice a week the day before the garbage goes out, on walks and I use a pooper scooper, or a doggy bag. It all goes in the trash outside my home to be picked up the next day)

4. If you catch your GSD doing something inappropriate how do you get him to understand that he shouldn't be doing that?

5. How do you know that your GSD is in pain, sick or uncomfortable (besides the obvious like vomiting or diarrhea)?

6. How does your GSD tell you if he needs to go to the bathroom?

7. What is the best way to get your GSD to understand that he is being rewarded for good behavior?

8. Are you allergic to your GSDs? If so how do manage?

9. What do you do to keep your GSD out of trouble? (bones, crate, kong)

10. How do you show your GSD that you love/respect him?
Zeeva is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2012, 04:56 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

1. What is your daily routine with your GSDs?
I have no routine whatsoever. I try to take him to the dog park before the sun goes down, and that's about the only thing we do at any sort of specific time.

2. How do you groom your GSDs?
I clip his toe nails when they are getting too long and I brush him when I'm bored. That's about it. If he's dirty I hose him off in the backyard, unless it's winter then I take him in the shower with me or I take him to the car wash to bathe him there.

3. How often do you do poopy patrol and how do you do it?
Twice a weekish. Shovel and a garbage bag.

4. If you catch your GSD doing something inappropriate how do you get him to understand that he shouldn't be doing that?

I go, "AY! ".

5. How do you know that your GSD is in pain, sick or uncomfortable?

When he's going to throw up he starts drooling a lot. I saw Chrono in pain once before and he whined briefly. That was the only time I ever saw him in pain.

Stares at me and then waits at the backdoor. He paws at it if I ignore him staring at me. He's been trained to paw at the door, so sometimes I intentionally ignore him until he does what he's supposed to do when he wants to go out.

7. What is the best way to get your GSD to understand that he is being rewarded for good behavior?

Food and happy voice.

N/A

9. What do you do to keep your GSD out of trouble?

Put him in the backyard. He doesn't dig, bark, or destroy anything, he just lays on the deck or plays with his toys.

Give him foods he shouldn't eat. Let him sleep in the bed next to me after my fiance leaves.
Syaoransbear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2012, 10:15 AM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I like to ask questions so I apologize. This one isn't as fun but it's just as important to me as the previous 'I would like to get to know' post...and thanks for making the last thread (IMO) a success. I learned a lot from it and had tons of fun! Bare with me through this one again

M-F: 25 min walk in the morning before work. Feed breakfast. Walk/playtime/obedience after work. Feed dinner. Give chew. Go to bed. Tuesdays are obedience classes.

Saturday: Small breakfast. SAR training on Sat mornings til 1300. Some kind of fun activity, dog park/trails/long walk/fetch/swimming. Outside to play by themselves. Dinner. Bed.

Sundays: Breakfast. Outside to play. Some kind of fun activity, dog park/trails/long walk/fetch/swimming. Obedience. More outside playtime. Dinner. Bed.

2. How do you groom your GSDs? (I wanna know all! cleaning eye buggers, combing, cleaning ears, brushing teeth, clipping nails, expressing anal glands anything you can think of)
The furminator brush is my very very best friend when it comes to grooming Titan. Takes a while but very good at getting a lot of hair. I try to do that minimum once a week. Every few weeks I cut nails and clean ears (he HATES ear cleaning days and usually gets lots of treats that day) He doesn't get bathed much unless he is SUPER dirty.. every few months IF that.

3. How often do you do poopy patrol and how do you do it? (i.e. I do poopy patrol twice a week the day before the garbage goes out, on walks and I use a pooper scooper, or a doggy bag. It all goes in the trash outside my home to be picked up the next day)
I have an enormous back yard so I only poopy patrol Once a week. Usually Sundays in time for Monday trash pick up. Sometimes if I am out there more that week. I'll pick them up if they seem to be bothering me.. for the most part Titan goes in a specific area.

I usually say "Excuse me?!" To which he looks at me and I say "Nein!" or "No, Sir!" and he immediately goes and lays down in his crate. If he is doing something outrageous "Enough!" Is his command to stop whatever it is he is doing.

5. How do you know that your GSD is in pain, sick or uncomfortable (besides the obvious like vomiting or diarrhea)?
Other than the common ones.. his ears will be down, he'll be lathargic, or not want to play as much.

Paws the door if we are down stares. If we are upstairs in my bedroom he will pace the room and sit and stare/whine at me.

Playtime and high value treats. He will do ANYTHING you want him to do if you just play with him. He also LOVES cheese and hot dogs and will in turn do anything your heart desires. Belly rubs are also a quick substitute.

Nope, no allergies!

Raw Marrow Bones or Antlers. He also has his crate but it's doorless since he's good and doesn't get into things, but he will stay there if I as him too.. and will also go in there if he wants a break from the puppy.

10. How do you show your GSD that you love/respect
him?
I give him lost of love! I play with him and do one on one games. He LOVES SAR so I make sure he rarely misses that. He get privileges like off leash walking when he is good and he just loves that. Lastly.. he gets to sleep in my room while the pup sleeps downstairs in her crate.

Whitney
and
Commander Charly Titan-15 Jan 2010
wyoung2153 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2012, 11:49 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Get up at 6 AM, feed both dogs.
7:30 take Niko for a six mile run. 8:30 take Rosa for two mile walk.
Noon - take dogs outside to play for an hour, then they get lunch.
4:00 - husband takes Niko for a two mile run or walk, then Rosa gets another two mile walk.
Dinner at 6 pm
Bedtime at 8 pm

Just simple coat brushing a few time a week with an undercoat rake and a slicker brush.
Teeth are brushed once a day (evening).
Nails are Dremeled once every two to three weeks.

All poops are picked up immediately (with a small garden trowel) and put in a small, lined garbage can. This bag is changed once a week. Off-property poops are bagged and brought home. Once a month we take the trash to the dump (we do not have garbage service where I live.)

I say "Eh-eh!" and/or call the dog over to me. Or I say "Leave it", whatever is appropriate to the situation.

Panting, drooling, inability to settle (or pacing), difficulty getting up, whining.

We go out for potties on a schedule so my dogs don't really have an obvious signal, but if they won't settled down, or are pacing the house that's a good clue that they might need to potty.

I say "Good baby!" and give a little head scratch, and/or give a treat.

Nope

We have Nylabones available at all times. We crate when we leave them home alone and also crate at night. We also give them lots of exercise and have worked hard to train them what is acceptable behavior and what is not.

I listen to them, I am aware of their emotional states and I try to respect their comfort level and not put them in situations that make them fearful. I do my best not to let them engage in any dangerous behaviors. I keep them on leash in public places, I do not give them the chance to make poor choices. I feed them the best food that works for them, homemade yummy treats, home-raised chicken eggs, veggies from my garden. I take them to the vet regularly and keep them lean and healthy. I make sure they both get a good amount (okay, a lot!) of physical affection every day.
Good_Karma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2012, 12:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

5:00 a.m.: 2.5 mile walk
8:00 a.m.: play time with pals(lots of running and chasing)
9:30 a.m.: 3-4 mile walk/jog
12:30 p.m.: short pee walk
4:00 p.m.: 1 mile bathroom walk
8:30 p.m.: out to pee then bed

Brush 4-5 days per week; occasional teeth brush; weekly ear wipes; body wipes as needed; nails trimmed by vet monthly
All poops picked up immediately unless she goes in the woods
Just say NO, then distract

Limping; pacing; drooling; whining
She doesn't. She gets so many bathroom breaks that she just waits for the next one.
High-voice praise; treats
Not allergic
All of those. She has her own room, an enclosed breezeway.
I give her a lot of freedom. Freedom to make the right choice or the wrong one from which she learns. Physical play with a lot of hands on that shows control: nobody gets hurt.
PaddyD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2012, 01:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeva View Post

Before she got heart worms it was: get up and feed, let out, put in crate, come home after first class and let her out, put back in crate, come home after class and do something fun with her, down time, train, eat, sleep. *with potty breaks in between*
I get rid of eye buggers, I brush her and use a defurminator. I get her bathed by a groomer in the fall/winter/spring and do it myself in the summer. I also take her to the groomer to get her nails trimmed.
Daily because I live in an apartment. I just throw it in the big dumpster.
Usually an "AH-AH!" will let her know. Sometimes if she knows she's being naughty all it takes is a look.

Sometimes I can see it in her eyes. Sometimes she just gets really really cuddly (which is not normal for her). I don't know...I spend pretty much all my time with her so I just kind of know I guess.
Unless it's a diarrhea emergency she usually doesn't. In all fairness though she generally gets let out about every 4hrs. She will, however, fuss at my mom to let her out when we're at home.

Very happy voice and lots of yummies.

I don't think I am.

Crate for sure.

I try to show her by giving her all of me: my time, my energy, my love, my money lol. Everything is about her. When I think about what I'm doing on a weekend it's all about trying to find something that she would enjoy. When I'm at the grocery store I try to find her a little something yummy just because. She goes with me everywhere she's allowed, and if she's not allowed somewhere I often don't go. I show her she's loved and respected by making her a priority.

NewbieShepherdGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2012, 02:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master Member

1. What is your daily routine with your GSDs?
Same routine for all 3 of my dogs. Up at 7, out for potty and 30 minutes of play, back in for quiet time, then breakfast, potty time, then quiet time, then afternoon play/training time, quiet time, lunch, potty time, quiet time, back out for play, quiet time until dinner, potty break, quiet time, play/training time, hang around the house like slugs and watch TV time, back out for a little more play and potty, then to bed around 11:30 or so.

2. How do you groom your GSDs?

All the dogs get daily ear and teeth check, ears cleaned as needed, grind nails 2x a week with a dremel, brush and comb every other day, bath every 2 weeks.

During every trip outside. Poo does NOT sit in my yard. Ever. I have bags by the front door so I can clean it up immediately. I turn the spray nozzle of the hose on the spots to clean off anything that sticks.

I say "uh uh uh" in a loud, low, buzzy voice. As soon as their attention is redirected they get praise. If I have a toy or treat handy they get that.

5. How do you know that your GSD is in pain, sick or uncomfortable

Huxley is a baby so no experience with that yet. But my aged golden pants, licks himself, paces.... when I see those signs I check him over and coax him to lay on his bed for a while. He is on Rimadyl and Adequan and fish oil and vitamin c, but we're seeing signs they aren't helping enough

all 3 dogs ring the bells on the door, even the deaf old golden Huxley learned it the first week he was here from watching his labby "big sister."

I try very hard to be quick with my markers and since I spend most of the time play training and capturing, they catch on pretty quickly when they have done something I like and start to offer the behavior.

No

supervise or crate, distract, redirect and reward.

everything we do all day long is one big love fest between me and my dogs- lots of play, plenty of praise, good food, grooming, cuddle time before bed when all 3 are up on the bed with my DH and I... they are probably spoiled rotten but I get compliments on their behavior so I'm sticking with my routine
GrammaD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2012, 02:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

Excellent questions, I am looking forward to reading the different responses.

3-5 days/evenings at training per week. Morning yard time + food, they sleep during day (when not training), evening yard time + food.

Clip nails once a month. Do not groom per say, just use an under coat rake once every 3 months. Don't get eye buggers. Clean ears once/month with soaked paper towel (50/50 water/vinegar solution). Never had to mess with anal glands.

Scoop designated spot in yard every evening. Don't walk the dogs per say.

Typically do not let them get in trouble by trying to visualize ahead of time. When needed, they understand "pfui" and other OB commands very clearly.

If dogs are not 100% they give out tell tale signals (movement, engagement etc).

We keep a fixed meal and yard time routine, dogs are predictable so one can let them out before they "really" need to go. Same applies when traveling. Dogs respect that.

Rewards should mean a big deal to the dog, so do not reward 24/7 otherwise it becomes meaningless to the dog.

No

All.

Timely exercise, training, rewards, corrections and food.

Last edited by Packen; 03-19-2012 at 02:38 PM.
Packen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2012, 04:47 PM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Walks in the am and the evening for 30-45 minutes each. They get to run amuck in the frisbee park off leash for 10-15 minutes after their walks. Sometimes again late during the day.

Furminator for fur once a week. Brush teeth once a week. Eye buggers everyday.

I poopy patrol twice a week the day before the garbage goes out, on walks and I use a pooper scooper, or a doggy bag. It all goes in the trash outside my home to be picked up the next day.

"Ah-ah!" "Leave it" or "Zeeva!" in a stern voice

Pacing, Zeeva will whine/cry and stick to me like glue.

Sniffing ground. Pacing same area. Zoomies right before she goes.

Treat. Good girl. Pat on the head. Belly rubs.

Family is. After they come inside, I clean right away (vacuum, swifer, dust). We got wooden floors and tiles for them because they don't trap allergens as much as carpet. They mostly stay outside though. Hepa filter also really helps.

Bone stuffed with cheese. Occasional crating. Kong didn't work for us

Good food. Walks/hikes/exercise. Cuddles, smothers and snuggles. Keeping them healthy.

Last edited by Zeeva; 03-20-2012 at 04:51 PM.
Zeeva is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2012, 05:14 PM   #10 (permalink)

Out to play in the morning anywhere from 30 to 45 mintues. Sometimes in the afternoon either another walk 1 to 2 miles or free play. And before feeding outside for free play. Training inbetween and some alone time.

I comb him, clip is nails once a week or as needed. His eyes i use a damp cloth and rub out and away from his eyes. Ears, haven't done anything yet, i dont see a build up of anything.

About once a week with a shovel and a bucket.

A stern "NO" with direct eye contact for things like chewing on something etc. a " leave it" for when he gets too intense with the cats.

When he's sleeping alot, not just laying down relaxed, but sleeping.

He sits near the door looking at me with a lowered head. If I happen not to notice he is there, he comes to me, pushs me with his nose, and walks back and sits by the door looking at me.

For me, its a " good boy!" in a calm but pleasent voice ( he does not like high pitched voices). I used to use treats, and have replaced it with praise

No

He has plenty of toys and bones to chew on. At night he is crated, and if i leave the house.

Which praise when he does something good, and fair but firm redirection when he doesn't. I really believe a dog needs and wants direction.
Sevastra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.