I would like to get to know YOU n your GSD! - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2013, 04:05 PM   #21 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I like to ask questions so I apologize. This one isn't as fun but it's just as important to me as the previous 'I would like to get to know' post...and thanks for making the last thread (IMO) a success. I learned a lot from it and had tons of fun! Bare with me through this one again

1. What is your daily routine with your GSDs? (keep it short..) Let them outside to potty in the morning. Give ginger her cosiquin, give both dogs some food & water. Get ready for work and give both dogs a hug,say goobye and head out.

2. How do you groom your GSDs? (I wanna know all! cleaning eye buggers, combing, cleaning ears, brushing teeth, clipping nails, expressing anal glands anything you can think of) I use furminator once a week, Wipe Eye Boogers constantly. Nails I get done at groomers as needed.

3. How often do you do poopy patrol and how do you do it? (i.e. I do poopy patrol twice a week the day before the garbage goes out, on walks and I use a pooper scooper, or a doggy bag. It all goes in the trash outside my home to be picked up the next day) Everytime they go unless its deep snow, then pick it up as I see it.

4. If you catch your GSD doing something inappropriate how do you get him to understand that he shouldn't be doing that? I say ayy! No this is usually Jonas not Ginger he is still learning

5. How do you know that your GSD is in pain, sick or uncomfortable (besides the obvious like vomiting or diarrhea)?
you can tell by the way they look at you, feel there nose for really warm temps, just an visual exam.
6. How does your GSD tell you if he needs to go to the bathroom?
Ginger quietly sits in front of door and stares at it , Jonas hits door with paws.
7. What is the best way to get your GSD to understand that he is being rewarded for good behavior? Say goodboy, or girl and pat them on head.

8. Are you allergic to your GSDs? If so how do manage? No.

9. What do you do to keep your GSD out of trouble? (bones, crate, kong)
Both dogs have their own crate with no door on it, and go to it and stay when I tell them.
10. How do you show your GSD that you love/respect him? I talk to them alot. I hug them and pet them alot.
Loneforce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2013, 04:32 PM   #22 (permalink)

1. What is your daily routine with your GSDs?
All the dogs go out at least 3 times per day. Since I'm between contracts (not working) I go out with them and either throw the Jolly ball or use the Chuck-It.

2. How do you groom your GSDs? (I wanna know all! cleaning eye buggers, combing, cleaning ears, brushing teeth, clipping nails, expressing anal glands anything you can think of)
The GSD gets brushed maybe once a month (long coat). Every week I check/clip everyone's nails and check their ears. I have to pull hair from the Cresteds ears so I end up checking everyone. I don't brush teeth. My Cresteds get brushed every 2-3 days and bathed once a week-10 days (during the winter).

3. How often do you do poopy patrol and how do you do it?
The only time I do potty patrol is when I'm running lure coursing in our field. Then I check the area around the start line and clean up anything there. Everything I pick up I toss over our fence into the overgrown/unused section of the land next to us.

4. If you catch your GSD doing something inappropriate how do you get him to understand that he shouldn't be doing that?
Raised voice saying ACK!!

5. How do you know that your GSD is in pain, sick or uncomfortable (besides the obvious like vomiting or diarrhea)?
Depends on the dog. #1 sign of a problem with Kaynya, Spike, Feugo, Wasabi and Winnie is not eating. With Mauser it's not wanting to play with his ball.

He's never really HAD to tell us. I would say if he went and sat by the gate that keeps them in our living room then I would most likely ask if he wanted to Go Out.

7. What is the best way to get your GSD to understand that he is being rewarded for good behavior?
Throw a ball for him. My Cresteds are more food motivated.

8. Are you allergic to your GSDs? If so how do manage?

Not me but my DH is allergic to both cats and dogs - we have 3 cats and 7 dogs. He takes drugs, tries not to rub his eyes after holding/petting the cats and cannot help me wash the animals (wet fur is the worst for him).

Crate, for everyone when we are not home.

10. How do you show your GSD that you love/respect him?[/QUOTE]

Feeding him the best food, taking him for car rides, listening to him when he wants something, asking him for attention and just being with him. With the Cresteds it's more physical - they LOVE being held and snuggled with.
Chimanes Spice it Up Piquin (Kaynya) - Chinese Crested
Nator von Triton HIC CGC (Mauser) - LC GSD
Piquins Some Like it Hot (Spike) Chinese Crested
Piquins Too Hot To Handle - (Fuego) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Wasabi (Sabi) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Super Hot (Clark) - Chinese Crested
Banzai, Cloe, Mocha - Felines Extraordinaire
Neke, Tessa, Remi, Sadie, Riggs, Sasha, Tazer - DK, Mozart, Zoe - Gone but not forgotten
Lauri & The Gang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 10:47 PM   #23 (permalink)
x11
Banned

1. What is your daily routine with your GSDs? (keep it short..)

be out in the hills before sun up every other morning and let my dogs find and kill stuff back home by 6.00am do some obed or agility till about 7.00am, lock them up got to work. repeat at night. bite training once or twice a week on new decoy.

2. How do you groom your GSDs? (I wanna know all! cleaning eye buggers, combing, cleaning ears, brushing teeth, clipping nails, expressing anal glands anything you can think of)

brush rarely swim evryday never wash or trim, running keeps nails trim.

3. How often do you do poopy patrol and how do you do it? (i.e. I do poopy patrol twice a week the day before the garbage goes out, on walks and I use a pooper scooper, or a doggy bag. It all goes in the trash outside my home to be picked up the next day)

never they have huge yard, rarely see any.

4. If you catch your GSD doing something inappropriate how do you get him to understand that he shouldn't be doing that?

sharp kick in butt - kiddin. yell "leave it"

never had a sick dog, injuries yes and self evident.

he craps somewhere

7. What is the best way to get your GSD to understand that he is being rewarded for good behavior?

stop beating him - kiddin again, food, tug, ball, verbal praise.

8. Are you allergic to your GSDs? If so how do manage? - no

physical fatigue

10. How do you show your GSD that you love/respect him?

i don't "love" dogs, respect by praise, food, house etc.
x11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 10:52 PM   #24 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Wake up, go potty, eat, go potty, walk, go to work (if going), go potty, eat lunch, go potty, back to work (if working), go potty, eat dinner, go potty, walk, play, train, run (if Matt's running her), potty, play, bed-time.

2. How do you groom your GSDs?
Teeth brushed every 3 days, ears cleaned every other week, anal glands done every two weeks, nails trimmed every two weeks, bath once every month.

I patrol the whole yard twice a day, and, using a scooper, get any poop. It's put in a garbage bag and taken to the dump.

I tell Koda, "You are doing naughty." She immediately runs to her bed and lays down, and never does it again.

Koda becomes very dismal. She will lay her ears flat, keep her tail under her. She won't rise to play and doesn't get excited about going bye-bye or on a walk. She also gets this kind of glazed look in her eyes that immediately hits me.

Koda will go to the front door. She will also bark very lowly/quietly at the door. Or she'll start biting the doorknob on the front door.

Koda understands best when I give her an excited voice or pat her playfully on the ribs.

Nopeee.

9. What do you do to keep your GSD out of trouble?
She has multiple stuffed animals and squeaky toys that are her "babies." She is often too busy "nursing" them to actually get into trouble. We also put in movies with animals and those will distract her. If we play a video game she watches. And we give her deer/elk antlers to chew on.

I use play, cuddling, petting, talking, training, walking... Everything we do has some aspect of letting her know how much I love her. During training, and offleash walking, I let her know I respect her by allowing her to take a moment to think things through and make a decision. I love how well she can think!
Old 01-09-2013, 10:58 PM   #25 (permalink)
Elite Member

Wake up, cuddle sesh, he comes up and lays in the bathroom while i get ready, crated when I leave (my mom then watches/plays with him while I work), when I get home we go on a jog/walk, play fetch for an hour, then have a training sesh after he eats/naps. On days I dont work I spend alot of my day with him

Brush every couple of days, brush his teeth when I can, dremmel his nails weekly, clean ears weekly (if needed), wipe his face/eye buggers when necessary, and he gets a bath once a month or so..

3. How often do you do poopy patrol and how do you do it? (i.e. I do poopy patrol twice a week the day before the garbage goes out, on walks and I use a pooper scooper, or a doggy bag. It all goes in the trash outside my home to be picked up the next day)

Every two days...or whenever Im home from work before its dark out. Pick it all up with doggy bags and goes to the trash can.

Depends what he is doing, but "no", "leave it" or replace with something appropriate, or get his attention and do a training sesh.

Havent had a sick dog, but he recently got his eye scratched by a cat, and was pacing/whining

He goes and sits by the door, whines, if that doesnt work, barks and scratches at door or comes to me to bark at me lol

Verbal praise, high value treats if rewarding a behavior that has been hard to get (ie. leaving that cats alone), clicker

No

LOTS of exercise, many training sessions, play with him, and he has many toys/bones etc to chew on and he is ALWAYS crated when no one is home

Give him lots of praise and kisses and let him know when hes making me proud and happy, and I show him mainly by spending a considerable amount of time with him.

Rogue "Tesla" von Huerta Hof
gsdlover91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 11:25 PM   #26 (permalink)
Master Member

Once I wake up I get pounced on, spooned intensely (she's not a nice snuggler) and then we get out of bed and I feed her, take her to pee, and I get ready. She loads up in the car, we go to work, and I take her out on my lunch break. We do schutzhund on one day of the weekend and either dog parks or agility on the other. Sometimes we even go to the doggie pool

We do the self serve baths and cologne. I should bathe her more but she has a short coat and we're always out somewhere she gets dirty quickly. I just cut her nails and I had to sit on her while screaming PLATZZZZZZ. It looks a little insane.

We're in an apartment so we clean it up as it comes.

I gasp and tell her how stupid it was and what a bad, shameful girl she is (seriously.. I shame her in a "Im not going to beat you but SHAAAAAAAAME ON YOUUUUU"

I can always tell when her temperaments off. I came and picked her up from boarding once after the staff member gave her severe heatstroke and didn't notice before throwing her back in a kennel - I knew the second she came to see me that something was seriously wrong. Same when she bloated and when I thought she might have HD even though she didn't show symptoms. We're connected like that

She doesn't.

BALL BALL TUG OMG TUUUUUUG

No.

Crate in the car and when I'm not home.. when I am home she is always trouble, there's no stopping it

10. How do you show your GSD that you love/respect her?

Training, praise, and lots of hugs (even though she doesn't like hugs)
Old 01-09-2013, 11:33 PM   #27 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Cheyanna

1. What is your daily routine with your GSDs? Because of my work schedule. I have no daily routine with Fiona. Every day is different.

2. How do you groom your GSDs? Fiona chews the hairbrush and toothbrush, so she goes to groomer who does it all every other week.

3. How often do you do poopy patrol and how do you do it? Because she eats it, pick up immediately with pooper scooper and flush. I live in condo and she only has a balcony. Otherwise use poopy bags.

4. If you catch your GSD doing something inappropriate how do you get him to understand that he shouldn't be doing that? Yell "ahh" for minor offense. Yell "nyet" or "phooey" for bigger stuff like eating poop.

5. How do you know that your GSD is in pain, sick or uncomfortable? Only sick once in her 7.5 months. She was not vocal like normal. It was swollen tonsils.

6. How does your GSD tell you if he needs to go to the bathroom? She uses doggie door. At work, she walks to door and looks at me.

7. What is the best way to get your GSD to understand that he is being rewarded for good behavior? Tell her good girl, then rub her tummy

Nope

9. What do you do to keep your GSD out of trouble?
Don't want to jinx it, but no problems so far. She is usually with me 24/7.

10. How do you show your GSD that you love/respect him? she can sleep on my bed if she wants. She gets to taste ice cream when I eat it. I spoil her rotten. Respect ... I take care of her needs and tell her I love her everyday.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Old 01-09-2013, 11:51 PM   #28 (permalink)
Elite Member

What a fun thread!

I don't really have one. I just try to get in exercise and training as much as possible throughout the day. Sometimes we meet friends for doggy play dates, sometimes we just do lots of mind games and fetch and tug and soccer etc.

2. How do you groom your GSDs? (I wanna know all! cleaning eye buggers, combing, cleaning ears, brushing teeth, clipping nails, expressing anal glands anything you can think of) just brushing and working on vacuuming her haha. I bathe her if she stinks or steps in poop or something and clip her nails about once a week.

I try to do it every week. And I jut put a baggy over my hand like a glove and pick the suckers up and put it in a big bag lol

Depends on what it is. No or uh uh or a command to do something else. Like off, leave it, place.

5. How do you know that your GSD is in pain, sick or uncomfortable (besides the obvious like vomiting or diarrhea)? She's still young but she's a drama queen. So I would imagine if she's every seriously hurt we would know. When she was a pup we would accidentally barely sleep on her and she screamed like you were killing her. But she was fine literally a second after.

6. How does your GSD tell you if he needs to go to the bathroom? Goes to the door and hits the blinds.

7. What is the best way to get your GSD to understand that he is being rewarded for good behavior? For my. Dog I reward with good girls, pats, food rewards, tug rewards, getting super excited if its something major like over coming something she didn't like, game of fetch or soccer.

8. Are you allergic to your GSDs? If so how do manage? No thank god!!

9. What do you do to keep your GSD out of trouble? (bones, crate, kong) exercise, training to drain the mental energy, kings, marrow bones, antlers, and crate, keeping her leashed and teaching the place command.

10. How do you show your GSD that you love/respect him? By spending time with her, praising her, leaving her alone to eat and treating her fairly but firmly. If that makes sense?

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Capone22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 08:03 AM   #29 (permalink)
Master Member

Wake up, let the dog out of crate give her a nice tummy rub, kisses and hugs. Let her out to do her business. While she is out I get ready for the day. Dog is back inside, make breakfast watch an episode of Desprate Housewives while the dog is begging for a walk. Take the dog for a walk. Go on with my day. The dog hangs out with me unless I have to leave the house. Then its walk again except longer one with lots of sniffing usually before bed time. Some days are different.

2. How do you groom your GSDs?
Bath once a month. Brushing every two weeks if she is blowing her coat then obviosely a lot more brusing. I don't clip her nails, they arent long and are worn out. No ear cleaning either so far her ears are fine. And I am so thankful I didn't have any anal gland business

Whenever needed, no specifications on that part

A firm "NO" does the trick most of the time, if she still misnehaves she goes on time out.
No excitement, not much moving mostly sleeping.

She tricks me, she will whine and scratch the door but when you take her out she just wants to sniff and play forever. But yeah, usualy she just scratches the door, if I ignore her she starts barking.

An excited "YEY" and a "good girl" and pat her on her head does it. If training I use treats.

No

Excercise, toys, crate.

LOTS of kisses, hugs, cuddles, patting,sharing my food even though I still want it (yes I know Im not suppose to) taking her on trips with me even though its inconviniet.
julie87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2013, 03:59 PM   #30 (permalink)

I wake them up lol (they are not morning dogs), let them out.. breakfast is served, I go to work. evenings; walk, play, training, chill time, dinner, bed.. weekend activities, hikes etc

brush coat 1 x week, furminator bi monthly, bath as needed & blow dry, clip nails 1x month, , ear wash as needed.. leave the glands to the vet ewwww

large yard 1-2 x week, carry bags when out and about

4. If you catch your GSD doing something inappropriate how do you get him to understand that he shouldn't be doing that?..

depends on what it is .. ranges from short "AH" and/or knock it off, or leave it , occasional death threat LOL.

I stay in tune with them both.. overly so some would say..

Any little thing outside the norm is noticed whether by body language, behavior (i.e. lethargic, moodiness), appetite, a lookie over is done, a temp might be taken.... I learned a long time ago... they hide things well..

beyond the routine..both will let me know, Gypsy will sit & stare and resit, once eye contact is made, heads for the door.. she will wake me up w/pawing/nudges & a bark for those emergencies (thank goodness lol), grader grunts & does body wag dance

verbal, rubbing pet/pat, intensity depends on accomplishment & action

NA

Gypsy not much.. from a pup until trustworthy supervised/crated, bad habits had no chance to establish.. Grader, a rescue, came with severe behavior & physical issues, always a work in progress .. is crated still at 8yrs when away from home.. he has a tendency to go through windows.. etc.. he is reactive.

love on them, train, play & keep them as healthy as i can, do right by them, they return the favor :-) cept they are both snoring away on my bed as i type this... sneaky
mygsdgypsy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.