Trifexis Skin Issues? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2011, 02:25 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Trifexis Skin Issues?

I was wondering if anyone else out there has had any issues with Trifexis. My 7 and a half month old German Shepherd was on Confortis and then was switched to Trifexis. Since he was around 4 months old he has been itchy. It has gotten progressively worse as time has gone on. He has gotten so itchy he has scratched himself raw and has had a rash of sorts. We thought it was a food allergy and have switched food many times. He is currently on Acana Pacific, all fish. It has no helped at all. Last month he was on antibiotics, topical steroids and antihistamines because he had scratched so much it was infected. During this time he was better most likely due to the antihistamines. BUT I have just had the revelation that he may be allergic to the Trifexis. I searched around on the forums but couldn't find any recent posts or discussions on the topic.

I'm currently in the middle of finding a new vet since I have lost complete faith in his original vet. The only solution she gave was trying to get him to be put on Hill's Science diet which I refused to do. If anyone in the Raleigh, NC area has any suggestions for a good vet I would greatly appreciate it.

Montague ("Monty")- 7 Months
Rand0mH3RO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2011, 11:40 AM   #2 (permalink)

first off , science diet sucks lol... glad we can all agree. but anywho, nicco has been on both comfortis , ( when we first got him for a month) and is now on trifexus ( past 4-5 months ) we have not had any problems with it.... i did notice he was a little itchy when we first got him, but after i switched to a higher quality dog kibble, it stopped right away, and he has had no problems since then. hes on taste of the wild prarrie now, and he loves it btw. i would def get to a new vet you feel comfortable with, since i guess there is really no way for anyone here too know if your pups allergic to that particular med. , as i said, niccos been on it for months now with no ill effects.......
nicodemus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2011, 11:44 AM   #3 (permalink)

and also, i know trifexus will kill all fleas that bite, and keep him from gettin infested and such, but maybe he is allergic to the actuall bites? we had a cat once that was SEVERELY allergic to flea bites, im talking within a month of being bitten, he would pull all his **** hair out and look like someone had shaved him from neck too tail tip..... maybe your dog is gettin bit a few times and having a reaction to that, not any medication or food? just pinging ideas.....
nicodemus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2011, 11:46 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

The special formulated vet science diet foods have their place. They ARE designed to deal with special problems in dog health.
It's just too easy to write off something because many of us associate SD with bad food.
My thoughts -- try it. You could at the same time get rid of the med that you are suspicious of. If the dog improves drastically, then introduce one or the other (either regular food you were feeding or Trifexis) and see what happens.
middleofnowhere is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2012, 04:21 PM   #5 (permalink)

Default problems with trifexus

I have had my 9 year old female GSD on trifectis for a year now. She is also having skin problems...and not ever had them before. We have so many fleas from the wild rabbits that it is possible that there is an alergy to the bite itself and not the trifectis but the skin problems seem to have gotten worse since she has been on the medication. I also have tried a lot of different foods to address this, but have not had any luck. I have a vet appt in a few weeks for her yearly exam and to renew the Trifexus perscription. I will bring this up with the vet and get back to everyone.
HopeSpringsEternal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2012, 05:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

I just gave Nikki Trifexis on the 1st of this month because we ran out of Sentinel.

She vomited 2.5 hours after taking it and is still not back to normal today. She threw up again two days ago and didn't want to eat. Needless to say she is not getting it again. Our vet said he is seeing more and more dogs having problems with it.

She just had her annual check-up on the 5th and blood work/urinalysis came back normal.

If you search the net you will find lots of stories about dogs getting sick from it.

Michaela

Heidi Mouse 02/10/1995 - 02/21/2009
Heidigsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2012, 08:44 AM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I gave my dog this product for the first time this month. The vet recommended giving her 1/2 the dosage with food and wait 30 minutes to administer the 2nd half. This was done to ensure no vomiting. The vet also said that most dogs have a reaction to it the first time but not the second.

I have not found any fleas on her since given the medication, but I am seeing dandruff. I am not sure if this is because of the medication or the change in forumula of her dog food. I will be monitoring this closely because she has environmental allergies and don't wish to aggravate her skin any more than necessary.

Jazz von Jagenstadt aka Tosca
J litter
DHau is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2012, 10:59 AM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
The vet also said that most dogs have a reaction to it the first time but not the second.
I just want to add that our vet is very reluctant to make any changes in Nikki's routine because of her health issues. She is still not back to 100% but is doing better, so for us it's just not worth it.

Heidi Mouse 02/10/1995 - 02/21/2009
Heidigsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2012, 01:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

I switched to Trifexis 3 months ago because Raina was having upset stomach from the Heartguard and Frontline, even when used on different days a week apart. She is allergic to all kinds of things including flea bites but since I switched I haven't had any problems with stomach upset or fleas. I do bathe her every other weekend due to the other airborne stuff she is allergic to and I blow dry her so I can get a good look at her skin. I think it is an individual thing with each dog.

Snake Vom Eselspfad RN CGC (AKA Raina) 3/5/08
Pyrate CGC 4/1/03-5/16/12 RIP

Too many to list waiting at the bridge but remembering them all
pyratemom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2013, 11:03 PM   #10 (permalink)

Default It has poison

Triflexis has spinosad as a main ingredient.
We found out the hard way after our Sasha (6months) started itching and biting her fur off for the past 2months. We figured it out with our trainer while the vet looked puzzled and did the usual run of tests. Spinosad is a poison, it defiantly kills fleas and ticks and then some.
Didn't work out well for us. Down to the basic heart worm guard. As for fleas and ticks, brewers yeast with garlic and apple vinegar cider seems to be working great.
NadiaK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.