My dogs have fleas! Warning-Pet Armor doesn't work! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2011, 08:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Unhappy My dogs have fleas! Warning-Pet Armor doesn't work!

Three months ago I started using Pet Armor as a flea repellent for my dogs. The box of Pet Armor claims that it has the same active ingredients as Frontline, which is the brand I had been using since my dogs were puppies and on Frontline I have never seen a flea on my dogs.

So the other day I notice that my GSD is scratching himself a lot. This is not alarming because he gets hotspots-so yesterday I administered the monthly dose of Pet Armor on my dogs and then I notice that my lab is also scratching. Later on that evening my son tells me that a flea just jumped on his face when he was sitting next to Brutus.

I take a flashlight and look at Brutus and he has fleas! Today me and my DH spent the day combating fleas. The vet said that since I had put Pet Armor on them yesterday that I had to wait 3 weeks before switching back to Frontline, so she prescribed a once a month pill- Comfortis, that can be taken together with the Pet Armor. I bought these cans of flea killer from the vets and had to spray EVERYTHING. My indoor cats who aren't on flea preventive because they never go outside had to be put on flea treatment. I bought 2 boxes of Frontline and also Revolution for my cats. Then we took the dogs to the wash and scrubbed them each with an entire bottle of soap on each one. The vet said that we couldn't use any shampoo with flea killer so we just used a regular shampoo. Then I had to vacuum my car and spray the flea killer in there as well.

What a day, and the dogs are scratching less, but they are still scratching. Here is the warning for anyone using or thinking of switching to Pet Armor, even though they claim that their product contains the same active ingredients as Frontline, the vet told me that it is not the same formula at all. Pet Armor cost $30 for 3 doses, Frontline cost $47 for 3 doses. My supplies that I bought today to combat these fleas costed $280. As you can clearly see, I did not save a penny in the long run, and now am going through this flea nightmare.

If anyone can offer me any advice on how to get rid of these fleas-please do. I have followed the vets advice but I know that there is always a multitude of information here.

Last edited by Germanshepherdlova; 10-29-2011 at 08:30 PM.
Germanshepherdlova is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2011, 08:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I have been using the Pet Armour also but have not found any fleas.
dixie-shep/lab 2/21/2013

baby-terrier mix (waiting at the bridge)
1sttimeforgsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2011, 08:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

My vet told me there have been some health issues as the carrier for it can cause it to release the dose more quickly and some dogs have become ill. The patent went off on the active ingredient but not the inactive ingredients.

[And I don't buy Frontline from them so it was not a sales thing]

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2011, 08:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

I know many people say Frontline no longer works for them. I've abandoned it too. Supposedly many dogs are becoming immune to it. I was just told at Petco the other day that Frontline will soon be changing their formula, due to this. (Don't know how true the latter is, but the manager of the store told me that.) SO maybe it is the same or similar, but your dogs have developed the same type of immunity many have.?

I'm now using Advantage and it does seem to work as it should for mine. I have one dog with a nasty flea allergy and just a flea bite or two sends her into a bad outbreak. I am kicking myself repeatedly because I let over a week go by (after the month was up) between flea treatments and wham, breakout time.

I need to research some other options, holistic, etc. But I do recommend Advantage. Has been good for us.

Last edited by chelle; 10-29-2011 at 08:41 PM.
chelle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2011, 08:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Boric acid is something I used once long ago when I feared a flea problem in the house. A cheap flea killer. You put it on your carpet for a time (don't remember how long, you'd want to google more info, I've forgotten) and vaccuum it up. There may be toxicity issues though, there's some differing ideas. I was always told it was very toxic, others say it isn't.. Don't know, but it will kill fleas. And then you need to repeat to be sure you've gotten all the larvae/eggs. You can do the white sock trick, too.

Last edited by chelle; 10-29-2011 at 08:49 PM.
chelle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2011, 09:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

Kaos brought them home once after being boarded....no fun! We had tried everything we thought. My dad who owns an exterminating company told us to put a flea collar in the vacuum bag or canister. Also put one in between the couch cushions, pretty much any place they can find some dust or hair to make their home. Hope you get some relief!
mysweetkaos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2011, 10:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master Member

Elly May is going crazy scratching. We use Frontline and I put flea powder on her the other day and she is still going crazy. My GF said maybe it's something else. I've only seen a flea or two on her...ever and can't seem to see any on her now. Anyhow, I hope can get her right soon...the Frontline always seem to work before.

After thought: a Vet told me I live in the flea capital of the USA and it's the height of flea season...she should be OK soon. I hope he is right !
Old 10-30-2011, 12:51 AM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocoyn View Post
My vet told me there have been some health issues as the carrier for it can cause it to release the dose more quickly and some dogs have become ill. The patent went off on the active ingredient but not the inactive ingredients.

[And I don't buy Frontline from them so it was not a sales thing]
I was googling for info about this and also read that it doesn't distribute the same way that Frontline does-it doesn't spread throughout the body apparently. My mothers dog was also on Frontline without ever having any flea problems. I suggested that she switch to Pet Armor and now her dog also has fleas.

I will never use this product again, and will be putting Frontline back on them as soon as possible. The vet said to wait two or three weeks. I am wondering if it is really safe to put Frontline on my dogs only two weeks after having applied the Pet Armor since they have only one ingredient in them that is the same-according to the vet.
Old 10-30-2011, 12:53 AM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelle View Post
Boric acid is something I used once long ago when I feared a flea problem in the house. A cheap flea killer. You put it on your carpet for a time (don't remember how long, you'd want to google more info, I've forgotten) and vaccuum it up. There may be toxicity issues though, there's some differing ideas. I was always told it was very toxic, others say it isn't.. Don't know, but it will kill fleas. And then you need to repeat to be sure you've gotten all the larvae/eggs. You can do the white sock trick, too.
I read about Boric acid, but wasn't sure if it was really effective. In a couple days if they are still itching I will try that because today I bought 3 bottles of this stuff that kills fleas at all stages-including eggs. I bought it from the vet at the price of $20 per bottle, if it doesn't work I think I will try the Boric next.
Old 10-30-2011, 02:13 AM   #10 (permalink)
Master Member

I switched from Frontline Plus to Advantix II .. so far I haven't seen any fleas on any of the dogs, but they are still itchy. It's only been a week so I'm hopeful that this new flea preventative is going to work. I'll give it six weeks (meaning I'll re-dose in a month) and hopefully my flea issues will be gone by then!
The birds: Dante - CAG / Nero and Sunshine - Budgies
e.rigby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.