Health insurance opinions - Page 6 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2012, 10:01 PM   #51 (permalink)
Master Member

i have a question though...my greatest fear is that wolf bloats. lets say he bloated one day and we took him to the hospital-does the insurance pay the vet directly? or do i have to pay it first, then get reimbursed? cause there's no way i'll ever have thousands laying around to pay it up front..how does all that work?
LissG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2012, 10:13 PM   #52 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LissG View Post
i have a question though...my greatest fear is that wolf bloats. lets say he bloated one day and we took him to the hospital-does the insurance pay the vet directly? or do i have to pay it first, then get reimbursed? cause there's no way i'll ever have thousands laying around to pay it up front..how does all that work?
Pet insurance is usually, you pay and they reimburse you later. So you charge a credit card and they will then give you the money back (usually like 80% of large procedures).

My opinion on insurance is that its more worth it to save the $40 a month for a year or two and use that as a small fund for emergencies. The chances for an emergency are quite small and the $30-$40 in insurance for a year really adds up. Just assume that its about $400 a year for premiums, that's more than $4000 over the life of the dog.
martemchik is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2012, 10:28 PM   #53 (permalink)
Master Member

thats true...but honestly, my hours have been cut really bad at work with the economy for the past 8+months. if something happens, i don't have any credit cards with more then maybe $200 available on them.
LissG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2012, 10:29 PM   #54 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kr16 View Post
Since I sell health insurance for humans, I am going to look into all these companies. I will make calls on Tuesday and research it. If all goes well with the health of your dog you are going to be putting 3-400 a year into a plan that gets you nothing until its needed. Why not open a seperate bank account and fund the same moneys in and in the later years when needed you should have $4,000 that you can use or keep if you do not need it.
This might not work for everyone, but after I looked into buying pet health insurance I decided to not purchase and create my own personal emergency fund. So now I have two emergency funds- one is for paying the bills if I lose my job or get sick long term. The second is for smaller emergencies like vet bills, extreme car overhaul, etc.
spidermilk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2012, 11:53 PM   #55 (permalink)
Master Member

I also have an emergency fund rather than pet insurance. I figure if I'm just going to have to pay upfront anyway it makes sense for me to collect what little interest myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

Courtney M.
Gaia-GSD 03/09/2012
Cuervo vom Kiebitzende 07/01/2013
gaia_bear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 03:02 AM   #56 (permalink)

What worries me about per insurance is that you pay up front then get reimbursed. I've read plenty of stories about problems getting reimbursed, or reimbursed very little. As much as I would like to say cost wouldn't be a factor in providing emergency care, it would be. Seven is a part of our family, but she's a member of the family with a relatively short life expectancy. With insurance, I believe it is very likely we'd choose a treatment based on an expectation of reimbursement, not one that we'd be able to afford without it.

I've decided to set up a separate savings for pet emergencies. I'm funding it in the spring every year when I get my bonus so it's a once and done thing. My plan is that if something ever comes up, we'll pay from that account first then consider any other savings we have or care credit if the bill is higher.

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free
Old 01-15-2013, 01:44 PM   #57 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Any thoughts on Embrace? They seem good to me, of course you read lots of positive reviews and also some negative reviews, wish you knew what to make of the mixed reviews. . .

They have a spot on their website that compares plans, petplan being one. . .

http://www.embracepetinsurance.com/

Or purina care?

enjoying life with Penny 6/04 & Blaze 11/12
while Sasha watches over us

www.swingsetsbydesign.com

Last edited by natalie559; 01-15-2013 at 01:51 PM.
natalie559 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2013, 01:35 PM   #58 (permalink)

Pet Assure is even better than insurance. It saves you on every visit to the vet's office! You choose your pet plan & you can add unlimited # of pets to your program. It's great even if you have pet ins. because you will save much more right at the time of service..No claims to file, no deductibles!
grace23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2013, 03:45 PM   #59 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grace23 View Post
Pet Assure is even better than insurance. It saves you on every visit to the vet's office! You choose your pet plan & you can add unlimited # of pets to your program. It's great even if you have pet ins. because you will save much more right at the time of service..No claims to file, no deductibles!
This is a discount of 25% at participating vets. In my area only a few take this. A lot of these type of plans they charge 25% more to begin with.

Pay cash and negotiate your own 25% off.

Insurance is for the big ticket items not the small bills. This would be really good if your vet takes it on top of a good plan.
kr16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2013, 12:59 AM   #60 (permalink)
Elite Member

Wanted to thank kr16 for all the time and research we decided to go with PetPlan =)

Now I wish these puppy shots were covered! 3 more rounds to go!
Neko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.