How short to clip nails? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2011, 08:23 PM   #11 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassadee7 View Post
I still wouldn't know how to tell if I am close to the quick though.
It won't matter as much - with the dremel even if you do quick her it doesn't seem to hurt like with clippers, and no gush of blood either, just a tiny ooze that's easy to staunch. Plus it's so much easier to take a tiny bit off at a time with a dremel, lessening the chances of quicking the dog in the first place. You can take off a little every few days if the nails are really long, allowing the quick to recede between trims.

Cassidy had really long quicks, so that worked best for her. It seemed no matter how little I took off with clippers it was too much! Plus she was horrid about nail trims, she'd yank her paw out of my hand every time I touched it. But I was able to get her acclimated to a dremel in about a week, working with her for a few minutes every day on desensitization.
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2011, 09:50 PM   #12 (permalink)
Elite Member

Start with the pedipaw/dremel now..get her desensitized before she forms an opinion. I just take off the point and more on the top than the bottom. Have not hit blood and his nails have stayed pretty short. I do them about once a week..when he is tired and willing to lay down. (Dogs are better for just about everything when they are tired! lol)
ponyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2011, 10:13 AM   #13 (permalink)
Elite Member

Update...
well I did it, I quicked her last night, ugh. I was just clipping a little bit off a back foot but geez, blood everywhere. I must have just got the very tip though because she didn't react much, just a slight pull and started licking it. And do you think I had the styptic powder stuff with me? Noooo. No, and do you think I could even FIND it?? No!!! So there I am trying to use a paper towel to stop the bleeding, she gets excited because she likes to eat paper towels, she is jumping all over making red spots on the carpet while my son is trying to find the powder and I am trying to make her lay on her side with treats and "leave it" with the paper towel, and finally I am tossing a handful of flour on her foot to try and stop the bleeding (I read that somewhere). So in the end we have a dog, a dog mom, and a living room covered in blood spots, flour, and chewed paper towel fragments. Joy.

At least now I know where the quick is.
Kira vom Snoozhaus ZZZ CGC!!!

Saber's Blog: Stuff Saber Does
cassadee7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2011, 02:01 AM   #14 (permalink)
Banned

Sounds like a fine time. Have you ever considered using a Dremel or similar device to trim the nails? We switched with our current dog and it is much easier.
codmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2011, 02:12 AM   #15 (permalink)
Elite Member

Yeah codmaster, I am on that. Pronto.
Kira vom Snoozhaus ZZZ CGC!!!

Saber's Blog: Stuff Saber Does
cassadee7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2011, 02:14 AM   #16 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Shawn, I did the same exact thing when Stark was Saber's age.

Blood EVERYWHERE!

I would just do the tip top of the nail, just enough to take the sharpness off. At that age, it's more about getting her use to having her feet touched than really cutting the nails.
Old 02-14-2011, 02:45 AM   #17 (permalink)
Lin
Knighted Member

Send a message via AIM to Lin Send a message via Yahoo to Lin

I've never heard of flour, but I use corn starch
Old 02-14-2011, 10:03 AM   #18 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DCluver33

when you dremmel a dogs nails you go straight up and down, parallel to the floor. you can go down as far as you feel comfortable or untill you start seeing a small greyish/ black circle (usually that's what it looks like) that's the quick and you want to stop. then you round the edges off so it's rounded and not sharp. I do my dogs nails every other day because it forces the quick to recede thus allowing me to get shorter nails. I dont want to hear clicking on my hard wood floors, so thats why i opt for short nails. I never dremmel my dogs nails unless I have the quik stop ready lol, but that's ok flour or corn starch works just fine. for a puppy I'd just do the tips until they're older.

Dodger 5 yr old GSD (6/23/08)
Molly 14 yr old Border Collie/Aussie Mix (7/4/98)

RIP my Angel:
Chopper 17 yr old Border Collie (10/1/94-12/30/10)
DCluver33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2011, 11:44 AM   #19 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Update...
well I did it, I quicked her last night, ugh. I was just clipping a little bit off a back foot but geez, blood everywhere. I must have just got the very tip though because she didn't react much, just a slight pull and started licking it. And do you think I had the styptic powder stuff with me? Noooo. No, and do you think I could even FIND it?? No!!! So there I am trying to use a paper towel to stop the bleeding, she gets excited because she likes to eat paper towels, she is jumping all over making red spots on the carpet while my son is trying to find the powder and I am trying to make her lay on her side with treats and "leave it" with the paper towel, and finally I am tossing a handful of flour on her foot to try and stop the bleeding (I read that somewhere). So in the end we have a dog, a dog mom, and a living room covered in blood spots, flour, and chewed paper towel fragments. Joy.

LOL I'm sorry, I know it's not funny but I have SO been there!!! It made me laugh, your description triggered identical memories of my own. THIS site is how I learned to dremel
Limit (Kelpie)
Jentry (GSD)
FG167 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2011, 01:32 PM   #20 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Update...

YIKES! Hope you can get the blood stains out of everything.
Had that problem with my previous dog but not with this one so far.
One thing I did the other day: My dog was watching me clip my toenails
and since she was so interested I used the toenail clipper on her.
It worked great! Just took a little off and because of the way it is
made I didn't have to worry about clipping too much.
PaddyD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.