Need Grooming techniques for an indoor shepherd - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2011, 02:03 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Need Grooming techniques for an indoor shepherd

My shepherd puppy Texas is completely an indoor dog, you could say she's even a urban apartment shepherd. Though, I was wondering if someone could help guide me in properly grooming my shepherd. Also, how I can desensitize that outdoor dog smell.

I understand that German shepherds should not be bathed often. So, I bathe my shepherd every 3 - 4 weeks ( I have had her for almost 4 months now). We jog everyday and go for long walks (including bathroom breaks), so by the time we come home, she always smells. What can I do to reduce the stench without bathing her often? Does anyone recommend any perfumes, powders, etc?

Also, she is beginning to shed A LOT, and I understand that this breed sheds excessively but its a lot more than compared to my Persian cats. I brush her with a slicker brush three times a week, but I still find clumps and clumps of hair everyday. Should I increase the brushings? Would this only be rough on her coat? Also, do you think this shampoo called the furminator shampoo is something I should look into? The groomer at Petsmart is always telling me how wonderful it is, but then again she could just be trying to sell it to me.

Thank you for taking time in reading this. I greatly appreciate it.
RogueRed26 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2011, 02:26 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

my dog an indoor dog but he has no offensive odor. my
has had maybe 4 baths in 3.5 yrs. i brush (try to brush)
my dog 3 to 4 times a week. i use an undercoat comb first
then i smooth him out with a slicker. when i comb i comb in all directions.
i use Earthbath shampoo.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2011, 02:35 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

What's your dog eating? I always ask this when someone says their dogs smells because nutrition or an allergy to something can cause a dog to stink.

I bathe my dog about 3-4 per years and that's just to do it and not because they smell.

I will second doggiedad's recommendation of the earthbath shampoo though. That stuff smells really good and is definitely a quality product.
Lucy Dog is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2011, 02:41 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
What's your dog eating? I always ask this when someone says their dogs smells because nutrition or an allergy to something can cause a dog to stink.
I feed Texas Bill Jac Large breed puppy and all her treats are Bill Jac as well from peanut butter to liver treats (with the exception of two treats, one is a kong brand and the other looks like bacon). I feed her this brand, since I was told the company actually uses chicken and organs in their products vs. beaks and other animal left overs.

Also, thank you Lucy Dog and doggiedad for your recommendation of the earthbath shampoo. I will look into it online. Do you have any recommendations for a certain scent?
Old 01-05-2011, 02:54 AM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueRed26 View Post
(with the exception of two treats, one is a kong brand and the other looks like bacon).
Have you checked the ingredients to see if either of those have garlic or garlic powder in them?

We do pretty much the same as the other posters btw, seldom bathe and brush often. No bad smells here except when Annie finds something in the woods that she has to roll in before I can stop her.
Whiteshepherds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2011, 03:02 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Below are the food's ingredients. A doggie smell and hair falling out is often a sign of poor nutrition. I would try a better quality of food and see if your dog smells better. My dog spends all of his time inside with me except for 2 hours a day when we're out exercising. He doesn't smell at all (remember, dogs don't sweat the way humans do) and I bathe him only once or twice per year.

Chicken-By-Products(organs only, including chicken liver), Chicken, Corn, Chicken-By-Product Meal, Dried Beet Pulp, Brewers Dried Yeast, Cane Molasses, Egg Product, Salt, Sodium Propionate(a preservative), DL-Methionine, L-Lysine, Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Niacin, Biotin, Choline Chloride, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Thiamine Mononitrate, Chondroitin Sulfate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride(Vitamin B-6), Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin B-12 Supplement, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Manganous Oxide, Inositol, BHA (a preservative), Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Cobalt Carbonate, Potassium Iodide, Sodium Selenite

Rafi the malaroo
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/693238
Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
BowWowMeow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2011, 03:11 AM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

That Bil Jac food looks like junk. Byproducts, corn (sorry sable123 if you read this), not much meat, sugar, salt, etc. Yuck!

I'll bet anything if you upgrade her diet that her doggie smell will really improve.

Oh and about the earthbath shampoo... i think i use the oatmeal one, but just go with whatever smells best to you. It's a good product so just go with what smells best to you.

Last edited by Lucy Dog; 01-05-2011 at 03:13 AM.
Old 01-05-2011, 03:16 AM   #8 (permalink)

I checked the treats right now and the ingredient list does not show any garlic.

So maybe I should change her diet then, if it might be a nutrition issue. The other brand I use is Royal Canin, but for my cats; I have yet to try it on her, since its very high in protein and have heard that too much protein could be bad for her. My sister feeds Blue to her shih tzu. Do you think Blue would be a good diet change? Here are the ingredients.

Blue Buffalo - All Natural Chicken and Brown Rice Puppy Food
Old 01-05-2011, 03:21 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Oh and about the earthbath shampoo... i think i use the oatmeal one, but just go with whatever smells best to you. It's a good product so just go with what smells best to you.
Yes, I love the smell of oatmeal. =-) I currently am using an oatmeal shampoo for her, an antifungal one for her leg (she got demodex from her breeder's kennel, but that's another story), and a boysenberry black shampoo to help bring out her color.
Old 01-05-2011, 03:25 AM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I'm not really a big fan of royal canin either. For the price you pay, you don't get the best ingredients. You can pay the same amount that you pay for royal canin and get a much better product.

It really all depends on what you want to spend and what's available to you. My favorite and the brand I use is Orijen. In my opinion, it's the best kibble on the market. Some other brands I recommend are Wellness, Acana, Solid Gold, and Blue Buffalo are a few I can think of off the top of my head.

If you're on a budget and have access to a costco near you, they've got their own kirkland brand for a really good price. I've heard tractor supply stores have some good deals too but I don't know since i've never been to one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.