Chronic yeast infection in ear - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2010, 12:04 PM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy Chronic yeast infection in ear

Hi....Hugo is 19 months old and has had chronic ear yeast infection for a about 6 months now. We originally treated it with meds at the vet's but the vet was of the opinion that GSD's are prone to it a lot and putting him on long term meds might impact other functions. She recommended cleaning his ears out once a week with Epi-Otic and it would eventually subside.
I've gone from doing it once a week to every other day at this point. He has this black waxy gook in his ears and a lot builds up in 2 days. It has no odor but I can tell it is irritable since Hugo keeps trying to scratch the insides of his ears and shakes his head a lot too.
Hugo is raw fed and the vet thinks it shouldn't be food allergies for this reason. Now I do give him yogurt at least once a day with his meal but didn't that that would cause yeast infections.
Anyone else have/had this problem? He has no other issues - no BO, no itchy paws, etc. What else can I do to relieve his misery?
Hugo-licious is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2010, 01:16 PM   #2 (permalink)

Are you sure that this dog is not allergic to the protein source you are feeding?I find it disturbing that a vet would tell you that it is'nt food allergies just cause a dog is raw fed because I also have a dog that gets that even when raw fed if I give him any kind of poultry.I would suggest trying another type of protein source,preferably one he has never had yet and give that and ONLY THAT.No yogurt,No treats etc because it may very well be the lactose that even yogurt has in it causing the problem.The only other thing I will add is that this should be done now while you hopefully still have sources of protein that the dog has not had yet cause this could become very hard to deal with if you dont nip it in the butt now.I want to also just say that if a dog is allergic to a particular ingredient it does'nt matter whether it is raw or not.If the dog is intolerant or allergic then it will not matter cause he will definetly react.Good luck and I hope you lick this problem quickly so your little one is more comfortable.Take care,Domenic
Domenic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2010, 01:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Either your dog's infection isn't getting cleared up in the first place or, most likely, he has food allergies. He can be allergic to anything he's eating including raw food.
Old 12-09-2010, 02:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

It can also be from environmental allergies.
Onyx has chronic ear issues and she is rawfed. I went thru elimination diets for over 2 years with no relief.
She's been tested for allergies and hers are due to dustmites and other environmental things. She is not food allergic, a bit sensitive to fish only.
If you can swing the $ for a blood lab test it will be worth it in the long run.
Onyx developed an ear hematoma in July that cost $300 to repair...thats when I decided to pay for the testing and see if we could get it under control.
She is now on serum shots(every few weeks now) and benedryl daily. Still has ear problems, though

Last edited by onyx'girl; 12-09-2010 at 02:36 PM.
onyx'girl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2010, 02:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Member

Worked for us.

Cure Your Pet?s Ear Infections
lrodptl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2010, 06:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master Member

Has anyone used Zymox?
Amazon.com: Pet King Brand Zymox Otic Enzymatic Solution for Pet Ears, 1.25 Ounces: Kitchen & Dining Amazon.com: Pet King Brand Zymox Otic Enzymatic Solution for Pet Ears, 1.25 Ounces: Kitchen & Dining

I have just found out about it, and was wondering if anyone had any experience with it.
Dejavu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2010, 06:37 PM   #7 (permalink)

My first dog had had chronic ear infections in his right ear ALL the time. I had to clean it out at least twice a week. I fed him all kinds of soy, wheat, gluten, and corn freed food. The vet said it was probably something he just had and would probably have throughout his lifetime. He always loved getting his ear cleaned out though. He would lay down and groan and his eyes would roll back. You could tell he would eat it up when you were about the clean out his ear. lol
Heagler870 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2010, 06:53 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth View Post
Has anyone used Zymox? Amazon.com: Pet King Brand Zymox Otic Enzymatic Solution for Pet Ears, 1.25 Ounces: Kitchen & Dining

I have just found out about it, and was wondering if anyone had any experience with it.
I've read some decent reviews but haven't used it.
lrodptl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2010, 06:53 PM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Send a message via Skype™ to paulag1955

Dairy products notoriously produce chronic ear infections in sensitive humans. Just a thought.
RIP Duchess - Shetland Sheepdog (12/25/88 - 2/14/04)
paulag1955 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2010, 07:25 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I've used the zymox. It works. But the ear infection will return if the cause is allergies. I've also used the blue powder ear treatment, I may give that a go again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.