proper way to groom the beast... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2010, 03:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default proper way to groom the beast...

So i had a chow chow before and i thought this gsd/husky couldnt be much worse...

OMG was i wrong, weve got a special undercoat brish, its kinda small looks like a barbers shaving thing for your neck.. well its NON STOP white hairs coming out... I always want to just take this dog to the Oreck shop and turn on all the vaccums..

this could be the wrong forum to post since it might be a husky coat thing but im sure GSD's have some sort of undercoat too since they are in the snow as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2010, 03:59 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to smerry

Kong makes a curry comb, kind of like a horse curry comb ... They work great. That and taking them to those do-it-yourself groom salons and using the curry comb with a professional blower to blow dry him backwards

that is my experience
http://www.zederbachkennels.com
smerry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2010, 01:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

The furminator is worth every penny, and is one of the best grooming tools out there for double coated shedding dogs IMHO.

Huskies are one of the WORST shedders in my experience, and combined with Shepherds (often referred to as "German Shedders" for good reason), I can imagine you have fur tumble weeds blowing around your house. Invest in a furminator, you won't regret it.

Regular VERY scrubby baths are excellent to, because it helps loosen up all the undercoat and brush out better once it's dry. As mentioned above, if you can find a do it yourself wash place with a force dryer, the force dryer does wonders blowing out excess loose undercoat. The thing that I've found is many don't have the extra narrow nozzle on the end so it just blows air and doesn't really blow out undercoat; as well as many people dry them till they are tired of drying, and the dog is really only damp dry. To get the full effect from a force dryer, you need to dry until that dog is DRY to blow out all the loose coat. But man is it worth it to not have much shedding for the next couple months.

Look at this picture: http://www.cyclegadgets.com/Images/MV-B3CD.jpg Notice the last 4 - 6 inches of it is a hard rubber nozzle that gets narrow towards the end. If that nozzle isn't on the dryer, it does NOT work very well. The only place around here that has the nozzle is petco and I just found a specks pet supply store that has it. Pet supplies plus and all the places specifically for do it yourself dog washes don't have that nozzle.

Last edited by Rerun; 03-16-2010 at 01:54 PM.
Rerun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2010, 02:11 PM   #4 (permalink)

I used my Furmimator a couple times and then threw it out. It breaks the hairs and damages the coat (IMO).

For Mauser (long cost with undercoat) I start with a pin brush:

That loosens the dead undercoat. Then I switch to a slicker brush:

That removes all the dead hair without damaging the coat.

Then I use the dog dryer on him to blow off any dead hair and loosen more undercoat (also blows out all the dirt and dust):

Then I start over again with the pin and slicker and continue until there's little hair coming off him.

Right now he's starting to blow coat so I'm doing this once or twice a week. Usually I do it once or twice a month.
Chimanes Spice it Up Piquin (Kaynya) - Chinese Crested
Nator von Triton HIC CGC (Mauser) - LC GSD
Piquins Some Like it Hot (Spike) Chinese Crested
Piquins Too Hot To Handle - (Fuego) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Wasabi (Sabi) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Super Hot (Clark) - Chinese Crested
Banzai, Cloe, Mocha - Felines Extraordinaire
Neke, Tessa, Remi, Sadie, Riggs, Sasha, Tazer - DK, Mozart, Zoe - Gone but not forgotten
Lauri & The Gang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2010, 02:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I don't think I could live without the professional blow dryer. And the undercoat rake, the pin brush, the slicker brush and finally finishing with the metal comb.

A good conditioner after shampoo helps to loosen undercoat also.

I blow dry after the brush and comb out to get hair loose and open. Then shampoo and condition. Blow dry again after that.

I tossed my furminator to my brother's pug as I couldn't take the coat breakage on the GSDs.
Samba is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2010, 02:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I scrub with a soft bristle horse brush when I'm bathing. He loves it, and it helps remove the loose hair.
Lilie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2010, 03:32 PM   #7 (permalink)

I use an undercoat rake (the one I found at Walmart works the best so far for $5.95), followed by a soft horse curry, which when used in several different directions (not just nose to tail) gets a lot of the white hairs that the rake misses, followed by the slicker. I rarely bathe as it can dry their skin, and they always smell neutral if I do this routine 3x per week.
Old 03-16-2010, 05:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

You have to use really good shampoo and conditioner. Our show dogs are bathed once a week approaching show season. It doesn't dry coat or skin but leaves them in luxurious show condition.
Samba is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2010, 06:25 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lin
Knighted Member

Send a message via AIM to Lin Send a message via Yahoo to Lin

My service dog gets bathed about once a week with shampoo and conditioner and her skin is fine. I was concerned that this especially through the winter was going to dry her skin out but others on the board eased my fears and I haven't had any problems.
Lin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2010, 01:55 AM   #10 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to smerry

Bathing isnt a problem if you are using a high quality shampoo and conditioner ... like samba and the other said. And I agree, the furminater may get rid of hair, but the dog does not look its best at all, as it breaks the hairs and makes the coat look dull and dead
http://www.zederbachkennels.com
smerry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.