Flea Allergy Dermatitis - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2009, 12:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default Flea Allergy Dermatitis

Can anyone give me some helpful info about this? I believe Ava has this. Poor thing just itches and itches and she has got these patches on her belly, black dots almost. It's not raised but it's red. I put some of the Penetan Creme on it that I use for her lips and that seemed to help A LOT but she is still scratching like crazy. I bathe her with a flea shampoo and apply K9 Advantix, vacuum every other day not too mention just had my carpets steamed cleaned. I don't know what else to do for her. Should I try giving her a supplement in her food? Any thoughts and info from anyone else who has gone thru this would be greatly appreciated.

Ava - GSD
DeeJay & Shelby - Beagles
Cooper - Golden Retriever
GSDgirlAL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2009, 12:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Default Re: Flea Allergy Dermatitis

My senior girl Shadow has a severe allergy to fleas...before we got it under control, it was a rough time. She would lose huge spots of furr and her skin would always be red and inflamed. Once she even got a severe infection. We tried all sorts of flea meds, the only one that has really really worked is Comfortis. No fleas= no problems for Shadow. Before the Comfortis, we tried everything under the sun...we also gave Benadryl and even cortizone shots when she was really bad. Hang in there...find something to kill the fleas, give her proper dosage of Benadryl to help with the itchies...

Shadow-10 year old GSD (03-16-99)
Duchess-4 year old GSD (11/04)
Gianna vom Wildhaus-GSD (3-2-09)
gsdlove212 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2009, 12:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Did you know that FAD is the # 1 cause of allergy in dogs? It is very common and I suspect it is a main cause of itchiness- more so than environment or food.

Ava sounds a lot like my Penny who also has suspected FAD. I say suspected as she did have a blood allergy test done which included flea, but they only tested whole flea not flea saliva which is what they are allergic to giving inconclusive results for that allergen. But her symptoms were very characteristic of FAD.

We struggled for a long while, trying all types of things to help. We also gave her allergy shots as she had tested positive for environmental things. But she still itched. Sometimes not as much, other times a lot- but always itchy.

Met and started going to different vet who suggested trying comfortis for flea control. She said she had seen remarkable improvements in her FAD patients when they started it. So we decided to give it a try and it has been the best thing I have ever tried for Penny. Which is HUGE as any allergy sufferer knows! Her itching has been dramatically reduced and her coat is thickening.

What frustrates me is that I cannot find a flea on Penny. I search and comb and look and nothing. But for those who suffer from FAD it can only be one flea. The vet told me that comfortis doesn't allow the flea to inject its saliva and that's why it's so effective. I haven't been able to back that statement up in my research though but what I did read was that comfortis can kill the flea within 30 min while advantix and frontline can take 12 hours- that's a lot of time for the flea to bite and do damage.

I read the reviews on was it 800 pet meds and others tell stories very similar to mine~ itchy with hair falling out then better. It was encouraging to us.

You mentioned flea shampoo and advantix~ I think the flea shampoo would wash off the advantix so that may be part of the issue. Also if the skin is damaged a topical is harder to absorb and redistribute properly. With comfortis you can wash as much as necessary and it isn't going away. That is a great advantage to us as bathing really helps soothe the skin and wash the environment away.

Do you actually have a flea problem or just all the symptoms of a problem?

Could also at this point be itching due to secondary staph, bacteria and or yeast. Penny would get bacteria and yeast on her skin from the damage from the scratching. A medicated shampoo to kill these things can greatly aid in the healing.

enjoying life with Penny 6/04 & Blaze 11/12
while Sasha watches over us

www.swingsetsbydesign.com
natalie559 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2009, 01:24 PM   #4 (permalink)

Have you actually SEEN fleas on her? It might not be the fleas causing the problems.
Chimanes Spice it Up Piquin (Kaynya) - Chinese Crested
Nator von Triton HIC CGC (Mauser) - LC GSD
Piquins Some Like it Hot (Spike) Chinese Crested
Piquins Too Hot To Handle - (Fuego) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Wasabi (Sabi) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Super Hot (Clark) - Chinese Crested
Banzai, Cloe, Mocha - Felines Extraordinaire
Neke, Tessa, Remi, Sadie, Riggs, Sasha, Tazer - DK, Mozart, Zoe - Gone but not forgotten
Lauri & The Gang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2009, 02:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

Yes, I've seen fleas on her. I'm going to go back to the Vets office and exchange the Advantix for the Comfortis. I have heard really great things about this product and definitely want to give it a try. I'm going to give her another bath using the medicated shampoo that I have and hopefully that will help give me girl some relief.

Ava - GSD
Old 08-19-2009, 02:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Be careful bathing too frequently as this can dry out her skin and make her even more itchy. Once you give Comfortis, she should start feeling better in an hour or so. Ask your vet abou the Benadryl as well, as this can help in the fisrt few days to relieve the itch from the damage already done, while the Comfortis can prevent any further damage from occuring.

Shadow-10 year old GSD (03-16-99)
Duchess-4 year old GSD (11/04)
Gianna vom Wildhaus-GSD (3-2-09)
gsdlove212 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2009, 02:47 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Please keep us updated on the progress!

Also don't forget to give the comfortis just after eating a full meal~ the most common side effect is vomiting. If your pet vomits within one hour you can call the company and they will send your vets office a new free pill to replace.

enjoying life with Penny 6/04 & Blaze 11/12
while Sasha watches over us

www.swingsetsbydesign.com
natalie559 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2009, 03:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Just a warning, steam cleaning your carpets can make fleas worse, the warm moisture causes all those little eggies to hatch like something off Aliens. Trust me, I made that mistake years ago. Had to flea bomb the whole place!

Tiffany; mom to:
Annabelle "the Diva"- GSD born 9/21/08
Duncan- Shep Mix adopted on 2/14/00 TDI
The kitty amigos: Simon, Alley and Mia
aubie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2009, 05:42 PM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

Thank you for all of the info and I will definitely keep you posted. I can't get to the Vet today b/c they will be closed but I'm going there tomorrow for sure. I will vacuum tonight when I get home, should I put some flea powder down?

Ava - GSD
Old 08-28-2009, 04:16 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted By: GSDgirlALThank you for all of the info and I will definitely keep you posted. I can't get to the Vet today b/c they will be closed but I'm going there tomorrow for sure. I will vacuum tonight when I get home, should I put some flea powder down?
Any news??? I'm having very similar issues with my 5 month old GSD who is on K9 Advantix
Riley425 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.