German Shepherds Forum banner

3 years female barks at everything

872 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  WirelessG 
#1 ·
hello,
my 3.5years female gsd recently became annoying to me and neighbors. she now barks at almost anything. If she hears something outside, she starts running around the house and barking, if some1 knocks on the door she barks, and so on. sometimes i dont understand why she barks. Anyhow, im trying to be as patient as possible, i call her name and tell her to come so i caress her and tell her "No" some times she doesnt listen when i call her during her barking time.
how can i make her stop barking like that? :help:

#2 ·
There is a book by Turid Rugaas "Barking the Sound of a Language". Her website has questions and answers: Turid Rugaas - Calming Signals Community The book did help me understand and train my Sting who is likes to bark. It does take consistency and practice. In the beginning of the training - I would grab Sting's bear - squeak it - and have Sting follow me away from the attraction and I would reward for the following. I had to learn when my Sting barked - he shut out everything else and getting his focus and attention was the challenge - sometimes I even had to stand right in front of him - have him sit - focus on the toy or treat. My Sting did learn that yes, he could bark a few times and I would go see what it was - then he had to be quiet and got rewarded.

#3 ·
Get some small beanbags (say 4" x 4") and when the dog barks and won't stop, throw the beanbag near the dog and say "no" and whatever command you use (I use "settle"). You don't want to hit the dog and it's best if the dog doesn't see you throw it at him. And you don't have to fastball it either. The beanbag landing on the floor near the dog should get his attention.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.