Barking at neighbor (sweet, loving older lady) - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2012, 01:01 PM   #21 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmspack View Post
To many people have dogs running their lives.
Ain't that the truth! And you're not going to get off easy when your GSD is telling you what to do! No way do you want them in charge, lol.
Blanketback is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2012, 01:06 PM   #22 (permalink)
Crowned Member

by turning things around (with crate) you are making the dog responsible for his behaviour. After a while the penny will drop . Might make him calmer all round , exercise better judgement .
I have a friend who is a teacher - just went back -- specialty class , aggressive outburst , attention deficit, autism and all the spectrums, young adults in primary grade ability -- she uses the exclusion from group when they become difficult and unmanageable . This is what we expect from you if you are to be a member at this table- group, activity. Even the most challenged figures it out.
carmspack is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2012, 01:10 PM   #23 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmspack View Post
You want to be out it is going to be on MY terms. Too many people have dogs running their lives. They are supposed to be our companions
Amen!
Certain behaviors are completely unacceptable in my eyes. Aggression against others being one. It'll be a cold day in **** before I reward my dog for displaying this behavior. You are in charge. Guide your dog and help it become what you wish it to be. With strong-minded working breeds, if you give them an inch, they will take a mile.
Old 12-24-2012, 04:19 AM   #24 (permalink)

My dog is always Barking How to stop? and very angry to me

Stainless Steel Fridge
Old 01-22-2013, 12:13 AM   #25 (permalink)

If your dog is keeping you awake at night barking or disturbing the neighbors during the day with his barking, you know how important it is to overcome this problem. You may have already tried yelling at him and realized that this is completely ineffective. Understanding the causes of barking in a dog can be tremendously helpful.
sophia_dave101 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 12:28 AM   #26 (permalink)
Crowned Member

my dogs barking for no reason annoys me to no end. Riley is a barker but to be honest, there's some wires in his head that aren't right so really I'm just managing him until I can finally get myself to take him to the vet to release him from the demons that have been growing in his head for a couple years now.

Shasta is generally a very quiet girl but the dogs next door set her off like a lunatic. I originally bought a bark collar for Riley to wear because his barking was just past excessive. He's toned it down considerably and all I have to say now to remind him that its unacceptable is 'Riley bark collar!' and he'll stop barking and just grumble and growl. I started putting the bark collar on Shasta before letting her outside when I know the neighbor dogs are out. The first couple times she went flying out like usual and started the nonstop barking. The collar got her. She tried again. Collar got her again. It also helped redirect her away from the object(s) of the obsessive barking when the collar would get her and I called her to leave it. It works for us and I'm really just waiting for the time my husband gets home from deployment and we move back to the east coast.

I definitely agree that you need to stop rewarding her behavior.
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus CA 3/18/2013
Zena GSD 6/1/03
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
KZoppa is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 04:20 AM   #27 (permalink)
Master Member

I was in the same boat with my neighbor what I did is left the issue alone. I didn't push my dog to be friendly to her, it took some time for my dog to get used to her and realize she is not a threat. No treats no shock collar,no punishment... just time.
julie87 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2013, 11:33 AM   #28 (permalink)
Master Member

I have the same issue with Spirit, Zeeva. Except he barks at everything...neighbors, birds, dogs, the snow, planes, sounds. I haven't received any complaints but it's bothering me a great deal, so I guess we do have a complaint

I know what I have to do, I just don't want to do it. When he starts his barking jag, he won't come to me for anything, he won't even let me get close enough to get ahold of him. I need to take him out on leash only so I have complete control. The only way I'm going to be able to correct this behavior is to stop it from happening. Gotta have him on a leash for that, all the time, until he gets it.

It's winter, it's freezing, sub zero sometimes, cold, icy, windy. I don't want to go outside! Lame, yes. Come spring and summer, I am totally on this, I will get it done. I was very happy with Punxatawny Phil yesterday

I have some major rehab work ahead for Spirit and I. If I was a completely respectabe person, I would be doing it now. I know.
Jo Ellen is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.