Barking at neighbor (sweet, loving older lady) - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2012, 10:30 AM   #11 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshep View Post
Is your dog unfriendly toward people if they are properly introduced?

I would invite her over. Your dog should be ok with you meeting friendly strangers. Maybe let them meet and have her reward your dog with a treat if it is behaving properly. I think throwing treats to your dog over the fence while it's barking at her would reward that behaviour?
No Zeeva is friendly toward people when properly introduced. However, my neighbor is scared of her and I think Zeeva feeds off of that. I don't want to put either one in a bad situation. I think you're right about the throwing treats over the fence being a reward for barking...It hasn't worked and I need a new game plan.
Zeeva is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2012, 10:40 AM   #12 (permalink)
Knighted Member

So today we had a random guy come into our yard. I think he was doing some sort of telephone line survey or something? I dunno.

Anyway, Zeeva began barking at him through the window. I redirected her attention to me with a high value treat. I held her focus and she stopped barking. But as soon as I gave her the treat she went back and began barking at the window again.

I'm surprised that guy didn't get scared. He stood his ground and took his readings without hesitating an inch...

Do you think redirecting Zeeva away from sweet neighbor lady would be good for Zeeva? Or keeping her on a prong while we see neighbor lady outside?

I don't want Zeeva terrorizing our neighbors. On either side. The ones on the other side are not as cooperative but they are not afraid of Zeeva which kind of worries me in a way. I don't want them reaching over to pet her while she is in a bark frenzy...

I guess in brainstorming, my main question is this. How do I properly introduce my dogs to my neighbors.

Zeeva is heavy. She might jump. IMO she is unpredictable. She has never bitten nor IMO will she but she will growl and IMO I think she may become fearful, hackles up and back away.

Smokey is friendly. He WILL for sure jump and bonk them in the face by licking on the lips (that has always been his greeting toward strangers).

I am guessing right now a one by one introduction with the prong on to prevent jumping from Smokey and any unpredictability from Zeeva.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:40 AM   #13 (permalink)
Crowned Member

" but I would start with Zeeva getting a treat she loves and using it only when she sees the lady"

I think this is not a good plan. It will make Zeeva hyper vigilant to spot the lady to begin the reward loop.
Ideally you want the dog to ignore the lady, recognize the pattern as being normal .
carmspack is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2012, 10:45 AM   #14 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmspack View Post
" but I would start with Zeeva getting a treat she loves and using it only when she sees the lady"

I think this is not a good plan. It will make Zeeva hyper vigilant to spot the lady to begin the reward loop.
Ideally you want the dog to ignore the lady, recognize the pattern as being normal .
Yes, we tried that and it has not gone so well. So I am going back to what Daisy and Lucky's mom suggested. Redirection, distraction and possibly just a simple easy introduction...
Old 09-06-2012, 11:01 AM   #15 (permalink)
Crowned Member

so many threads with dogs being rewarded , inadvertantly , for undesireable behaviour, yet when they are good they are ignored. The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

If the dog is shy , fear aggressive , an introduction to the neighbour is not going to solve anything. It might give each party a false sense of security. Invitation for disaster. They need to leave each other alone. Dog barks at neighbour privileges taken away. Crate Zeeva up . When she realizes the negative "reward" she'll start responding as best as she can.
Old 09-06-2012, 11:13 AM   #16 (permalink)
Knighted Member

How obedient is your dog, other than the barking?

Can you put her in a platz to meet your neighbour? Or can you put her into a different room and put a baby gate as a deterrent and invite your neighbour over for tea? Maybe if she sees that you two are friendly she will relax?
blackshep is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2012, 11:27 AM   #17 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshep View Post
How obedient is your dog, other than the barking?

Can you put her in a platz to meet your neighbour? Or can you put her into a different room and put a baby gate as a deterrent and invite your neighbour over for tea? Maybe if she sees that you two are friendly she will relax?
Our OB training is a working progress (sometimes regress ). I started training both my dogs recently (Smokey is 3ish Zeeva is a little over 2 years old). I have been a horrible dog owner and I know...but we will get there. Both had classes when they were younger and know commands, but they are wishy washy and unpredictable about listening.

For example, a simple sit or down with Zeeva can take her 30 seconds to do. I do not repeat the command; I simply stand over her and wait. Treat if she does immediately and praise if she takes her time...

I can put Zeeva in another room and invite for tea Maybe in her crate so she can watch us?
Old 09-06-2012, 11:39 AM   #18 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
so many threads with dogs being rewarded , inadvertantly , for undesireable behaviour, yet when they are good they are ignored. The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

If the dog is shy , fear aggressive , an introduction to the neighbour is not going to solve anything. It might give each party a false sense of security. Invitation for disaster. They need to leave each other alone. Dog barks at neighbour privileges taken away. Crate Zeeva up . When she realizes the negative "reward" she'll start responding as best as she can.
Very much agree with this. I would never reward my dog for jumping up and acting like a fool by giving it a treat. I call the dog over and it is expected to settle on command. If dog doesn't settle, everything is taken away. Up the obedience, consult a good trainer, and take control of your dog. Remove privileges and manage this behavior.
Old 09-06-2012, 11:51 AM   #19 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Dog barks at neighbour privileges taken away. Crate Zeeva up . When she realizes the negative "reward" she'll start responding as best as she can.
This is what worked for me. I know everyone says that you shouldn't use the crate for punishment, but in my case I HAD to get stuff done around the yard. My puppy was tied up nearby while I worked. Everytime he barked, I took him inside and crated him. I'd wait a few minutes, go get him, and start over. The weeding took me forever this way, but I wanted him to equate quiet behavior with the reward of lying outdoors with me and the barking at the neighbor with being denied that.

We have 2 dogs here, and for the most part they're very quiet in the backyard now. They know that if they're barking they won't be enjoying the yard for long.
Blanketback is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2012, 12:50 PM   #20 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Up the obedience, consult a good trainer, and take control of your dog. Remove privileges and manage this behavior. -- ditto blanketback.
all this treating - first your timing has to be spot on and then the famous question "so how's that working for you and clearly it is not" , there is no reduction in behaviour. The dog barks, you distract , dog gets treat , Oh yay , me want more treats, back to barking, back to rewarding with treats . Behaviour conditioned .

Oh yeah , reading from the same book , same page.
Crate can be used as CONSTRUCTIVE confinement - not punishment. Nanny's time out naughty chair. You want to be out it is going to be on MY terms. To many people have dogs running their lives. They are supposed to be our companions

Last edited by carmspack; 09-06-2012 at 12:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.