Our Dogs Menus - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2007, 01:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Our Dogs Menus

Since we've had so much interest in raw diets in the last few weeks I thought it might be helpful, for those new to the idea, to see what the more experienced people do.

So - let's see the details. You can list all your dogs or just one or two. List the dogs age, current weight, activity level and then tell us what you are feeding. List the type of item (RMB, MM, OM, veggies, etc.), how much of each item (say whether you estimate or weigh everything) and any supplements (and why).

I'll start. This covers what they were eating last month. I weigh everything.

Riggs - 10 yr old neutered German Shepherd, 75 pounds, average activity level.
AM - 9 ounces RMBs, PM 8 ounces MM & 1 ounce OM
RMBs - chicken leg quarters/backs/necks, tilapia, pork rib tips, canned mackerel, turkey necks, pork necks, lamb necks
MM - beef heart, ground turkey, pork hearts, lamb trim
OM - liver, kidney
Misc - green tripe, eggs, oatmeal (if I forget to defrost something)
Supplements - Salmon oil (Omega 3s)
Limitations - None

Tazer - 8 yr old neutered Cocker Spaniel, 25 pounds, above average activity level (especially during coursing season)
AM - 5 ounces RBMs (day after coursing - 6.5 ounces)
PM - 5 ounces MM (day after coursing - 6 ounces) & .5 ounce OM
RMBs - same as Riggs but large items are chopped into smaller pieces
MM - beef and pork hearts 90% of the time (for the taurine - he's epileptic), lamb trim (especially after coursing days)
OM - liver (he doesn't like kidney)
Misc - green tripe, eggs
Supplements - Salmon oil (Omega 3s), multi-vitamin (because of his seizures)
Limitations - NO large amounts of grains (he can have treats)
Special Note - Tazer sometimes has trouble keeping weight on during coursing season - even when he's not running

Winnie - 8 yr old spayed Corgi mix, 25 pounds, average activity level
AM - 4.5 ounces RBMs
PM - 4 ounces MM & .5 ounce OM
RMBs - same as above but NO turkey necks and everything has to be chopped tiny (she's a gulper)
MM - Same as Riggs
OM - liver & kidney
Misc - green tripe, eggs, oatmeal
Supplements - Salmon oil (Omega 3s)
Limitations - none
Special Note - Winnie puts on weight just LOOKING at food so we monitor her very closely
Chimanes Spice it Up Piquin (Kaynya) - Chinese Crested
Nator von Triton HIC CGC (Mauser) - LC GSD
Piquins Some Like it Hot (Spike) Chinese Crested
Piquins Too Hot To Handle - (Fuego) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Wasabi (Sabi) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Super Hot (Clark) - Chinese Crested
Banzai, Cloe, Mocha - Felines Extraordinaire
Neke, Tessa, Remi, Sadie, Riggs, Sasha, Tazer - DK, Mozart, Zoe - Gone but not forgotten
Lauri & The Gang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2007, 02:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Default Re: Our Dogs Menus

Zeus - 9 yr old neutered German Shepherd, 90 pounds, low activity level.
AM - 8 oz RMBs & 4 oz MM, 1/2 Banana, Tablespoon plain yogurt.
PM 8 oz RMBs & 4 oz MM, 1/2 can veggies
RMBs - chicken leg quarters/backs/necks, tilapia, canned mackerel,
MM - ground wild game (mixture of rabbit, venison, bear, ostrich, etc.)
Misc - eggs, cottage cheese (small amounts)
Supplements - Salmon oil (Omega 3s), vitamin C, vitamin E, Glucosamine (Grand Flex)
Veggies - No salt added canned green beans, carrots, peas, beats (to make him feel full, it's a constant battle keeping him lean).
Limitations - None

My 50 pound female pup Lowen is on the same plan but without the Grand Flex. Her amounts will be increasing soon (she is LEAN and high energy).
- Diesel vom Kriegershaus "Diesel" BH
http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/gsd/...ee/399527.html
big_dog7777 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2007, 02:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Great idea!

Here's what mine are eating this month. Our menu changes every couple of months, always rotating in a new protein or two. The only consistent item that's usually on the list is chicken. It's just too cheap not to be a staple. I also weigh every meal.

Luca: 2 yr old neutered GSD, 100 lbs. average activity level. 13 oz. meals, twice a day. Luca tends to be pudgy, so his meal sizes have been gradually reduced from 17 oz. meals when he was a puppy.

Fanny: 1 yr. old spayed Cardigan Corgi, 29 lbs. average activity level. 5 oz. meals, twice a day. Fanny gulps, so bone-in stuff gets pre-chewed a bit with the meat cleaver.

RMB:
chicken leg quarters
turkey necks
duck necks
MM:
ground lamb
pork hearts
OM:
chicken livers
OTHER:
canned mackerel - 1 can a week split between the two dogs
canned sardines - 1 can a week split between the two dogs
2-3 eggs per week (with all the necks lately, I haven't been giving the shells right now--usually they do get the shells)
yogurt--bedtime snack (Luca 3 tablespoons, Fanny 1 tablespoon)

SUPPLEMENTS: these powders get mixed into their yogurt
Fanny 1/3 teaspoon total, Luca 1 teaspoon total
brewers yeast
Glucosamine/Chondroitin/MSM/Vit C - Luca only
Veggie powder that includes powdered kelp, wheatgrass, barley grass, carrot, garlic.

TREATS: small quantities, couple of times a week.
frozen veggies, including sliced carrots, zuchinni, blueberries, strawberries, green beans.

Plus the occasional taste of whatever we're eating! And always the last lick of the ice cream bowl.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y18...shepherd_4.gif Luca says, "Arf!"
tracyc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2007, 05:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I weigh everything.

Pancho is a 15 month old 70lb GSD, average activity level (daily walks and lots of fetch), no restrictions. 1 lb RMB in the morning and 10.6 oz MM, 1.8oz OM, and 3.6 oz RMB for dinner.

Cheyenne is 4.5y/o 35 lb mix., below average activity level (she's a lazy bum that doesn't play with toys, only enjoys her walks), she can't handle carbs at all (big time allergies). 6oz RMB for breakfast and .6 oz OM, 1.2oz RMB, and 4.2oz MM for dinner.

RMB-chicken backs, chicken quarters, turkey necks, pork neck bones

MM-beef heart, sardines, ground meat (turkey and beef), canned mackeral, tilapia

OM-beef liver and kidney, chicken liver

Other-yogurt and omega3 supplement daily and oysters, eggs and pig feet with eggs being most frequent

I know I'm forgetting a lot. That list is really short compared to other lists I've made!
Old 04-04-2007, 11:14 AM   #5 (permalink)

I feed 6 shelties (weights are from 22 - 27 lbs), and 1 growing GSD (15 months). All dogs are very active, and compete/train in agility and obedience.

RMB's are fed 4 - 5 mornings a week and consist of turkey necks. Shelties get 4 - 6 oz, and GSD gets 18 - 20 oz.

Meat meals are fed the remaining 9 - 10 meals a week and consist of ground meat (beef or turkey), sweet potato, beef heart, squash, eggs, ground veggies (romaine, celery, spinach). Shelties get 2 - 3 oz ground meat, 2 oz beef heart, 2 - 3 oz sweet potato, 1 TBS squash and veggies and eggs 3 times a week. The GSD gets 8-10 oz ground meat, 4 - 6 oz beef heart, 6 - 8 oz sweet potato,3 TBS veggies, 2 TBS squash, and an egg each day.
Extras - 1 - 2 times per week - beef liver, tripe, canned salmon, cooked tilapia or whiting filets, and I will occasionally add oysters, sardines or jack mackerel.
Supplements - daily - vit e (shelties vit e 100 iu, GSD 400 iu) oil (rotate between salmon oil, sardine oil, evening primrose or flax), and all get either Glyco Flex I or II (older ones get II).
Several times a week they get a green blend, a vitamin B complex, and antioxidant supplement and once a week they get a multi-vitamin/mineral.
I will feed kibble meals once or twice a week (rotate between proteins I don't normally feed, and will add canned food that is mostly meat).
I am sure I am forgetting something!
suebon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2007, 01:21 PM   #6 (permalink)

Here's what I feed my 75 lb neutered male GSD, age estimated at 8, low activity level. Could probably stand to gain a couple pounds. Just started raw a couple weeks ago, so variety will increase gradually.

am: about 14 oz RMBs. Chicken backs are the staple, canned or whole frozen/thawed mackeral once a week or so.

pm: 8 oz of MM. Staples are ground beef and chicken hearts & lungs; he'll get chicken liver occasionally.

Other stuff:
- eggs once or twice a week
- veggie mush with the pm MM a few times a week. With the veggie mush, I mix yogurt, apple cider vinegar and cod liver oil.
- our leftover cooked eggs and meat... just as a treat.
- pig ears and chicken breast jerky are his other treats.

I can pretty much eyeball weights based on what it says on the package, but I 'spot check' sometimes. I do that with my own food, too! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/01_smile.gif[/img]
KJandBravo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2007, 01:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to DancingCavy Send a message via MSN to DancingCavy Send a message via Yahoo to DancingCavy

Ris is a 45-lb spayed mutt and is pretty active. She gets 1-1.5 lbs of food a day fed in one meal.

Though she is currently being treated for SIBO (and thus her normal routine has been altered) I'll post what 'normal' was for her before she got sick.

When I bring the meat home, I divide it up into one meal portions to make it easier to serve later. Most of her portions are eyeballed but I generally weigh muscle meat and pork neck before I freeze it.

RMBs:
Chicken quarters, pork neck, pork ribs, chicken breast (bone-in), chicken drumsticks, chicken thighs, chicken wings, turkey quarters, turkey wings, turkey drumsticks, Cornish game hens.

MM:
Beef heart, ground turkey, ground beef, chicken breast, cannned Jack Mackeral, Tilapia (we'll be trying this soon), turkey gizzards, chicken heart, chicken gizzards, ground bison.

OM:
Beef liver, chicken liver, beef kidney.

Supplements:
None.

Treats:
Hot dogs, string cheese, Natural Balance Lamb and Rice roll, meat baby food, Zuke's Salmon Treats, carrots, ice cubes, apple, banana.

Most meals I don't need to alter in any way. But if she is having chicken quarters or drumsticks, I have to smash the ankle joint with a rubber mallet first. If I don't, I usually see it again on my carpet the next day.

DancingCavy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2007, 02:16 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master Member

I am really looking forward to this thread! Thanks Lauri! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/18_thumb.gif[/img]

Hopefully within the next week or so, I'll be able to make my addition to it as well. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/05_biggrin.gif[/img]

http://www.zstojatevody.com
BritneyP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2007, 02:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
Moderator who has gone to the dogs

Chimo is roughly 83 pounds (good weight) and eats about 2 pounds of food per day. He only gets chicken maybe once a week so his RMB are right now pork necks and ribs and turkey necks, legs, and wings. He gets Mackerel once a week or Sardines 2-3 times a week. MM is ground turkey, beef heart, occasionally chicken if it is cheap enough and venison (I get a massive amount of venny during hunting season and package it to be used the rest of the year). He gets eggs 1-3 times a week and yogurt about the same.

The girls eat about 1.25 to 1.5 pounds a day range from 65-75 pounds and are active. They get the same as Chimo except they get chicken 2-4 times a week. Either backs or quarters or legs/thighs.

As my guys are getting older I am going to start adding mustard powder, ginger and raw garlic to their diet on a more regular basis. All three are anti-inflamatories.

The Huskies are both about 50 pounds and are normal active (for any dog not for Huskies). They each eat about a pound a day same stuff as the Sheps just smaller portions.

I also feed duck, rabbit and venison RMB throughout the year and anything else that we can find. Our day in and out staples are pork, turkey, venison and chicken.

Phoenix is currently on an alternate diet.

Lakota, Chimo, Tika, Rayne, Kanuck, Jethro and Keyzah

My Angels forever in my heart and watching over us:
Phoenix 9/07
Kaylee Cheyenne 5/09
Amaruq is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2007, 11:41 PM   #10 (permalink)

This is a great thread! I'm a total newbie to this RAW biz...and it helps me get an idea of what to do in a 'real world' setting!

What is funny-is that I believe many of us are taking better care of our dogs' diets than we do our own!!!! Crazy!!
ksuri is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.