Our Dogs Menus - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2007, 01:02 AM   #11 (permalink)

Default Re: Our Dogs Menus

I feed raw to my GSD Marley (15 months 75lbs intact male medium-high activity level) and my Cavalier Paris (2 1/2yrs 13lbs spayed female low-medium activity level) I don't weigh each individual thing, but thier meals as a whole. Both my dogs have ate raw since they same home (Marley 8 weeks, Paris 10 weeks)

Marley
eats just over 1 lbs per meal, as long as its in the 18-20 ounces area its fine, his natural build is long and narrow and he doesn't over eat, so its easy to keep him at his weight. Never more then 2 1/2lbs a day, eats AM & PM
RMBs - chicken leg quarters or whole chickens cut into pieces, duck cut into pieces and occasionally pheasant. gets a beef knuckle type bone at least once a week to chew on
MM - buffalo, deer, beef and pork (various cuts.. the first two I get free from relatives who hunt, so its what was left over from the year before or things they wont use) fish; canned salmon, mackeral and sardines and raw Alaskan pollok, trout, walleye and occasionally salmon (again the last three I get from my dad when he goes fishing and gets more then he needs)
OM - liver, and whatever comes attached to the birds he gets
Misc - pumpkin and rice added if upset tummy, canned food (use about 1 can per week ) just to add a little extra (I only use Natural Balance, Merrick and Natures Variety)
Supplements - Salmon oil & fish oil w/ omega 3, organic keifer a few times a week
Limitations - we tried goose and he said NO WAY, other then that hes ate everything we've tried.. where I'm at I can't get alot of the cool things that some people can like heart meat and decently priced lamb ect.. but I have found people are envious of my access to buffalo, deer and pheasant [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/06_cool.gif[/img]

Paris (just to give an idea to those people with small dogs) eats once a day in PM, never more then 4 ounces or she gets fat
RMBs - chicken necks, pork neck bones, cornish game hen, duck (small chunks cut from Marleys), beef ribs
MM - buffalo, deer, beef, pork, chicken hearts (if shes lucky!)
OM - liver.. and whatevers attached to her birds
Misc - tiny half spoon of canned if Marley is getting it. I will occasionally (ie once every 4-5 months) buy a bag of the Natures Variety Lamb or Rabbit and give it to her for some meals, since this actually has ground bone in it I feed it as a meal
Supplements - Salmon oil & fish oil w/ omega 3s, organic keifer a few times a week
Limitations - WILL NOT eat fish of any kind. or pheasant. Haven't found anything that gives her upset tummy tho.
If Paris gets a pork neck bone or a larger chicken neck the next/or previous meal is all meat to make up for the extra boney meal

I saw I forgot treats! Both get bully sticks, Paris always has one in her kennel, Marley gets one a week he will eat it all up. "crunchy treats" any of the quality kibble made treats: Wellness, Solid Gold, Natural Balance. Also any other crunchy treats I find that have good ingredients. Dehydrated chicken and duck breast strips (chicken for Marley, duck for Paris) Marley gets one and Paris 1/2 at bedtime. Dehydrated salmon treats are Marleys bait for show stacking. I use jerky treats (Solid Gold, Wellness and Real Meat Treats) for "gooood dog treats" (getting nails clipped, brushing hair and other "horrible" things) and of course peanut butter.. I buy a big jar of the cheapest stuff I can find for Kongs a few times a week.
Paris - Female CKCS 10/22/04
Chester - Male CKCS 4/1/04
candibrite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2007, 01:41 AM   #12 (permalink)
Moderator who has gone to the dogs

I forgot my guys all get organ meat 2-4 times a week which consists of chicken liver, beef liver & kidney and venison liver.

Lakota, Chimo, Tika, Rayne, Kanuck, Jethro and Keyzah

My Angels forever in my heart and watching over us:
Phoenix 9/07
Kaylee Cheyenne 5/09
Amaruq is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2007, 12:42 PM   #13 (permalink)
Administrator & LOTR Addict

All of my dogs eat the same things. I just adjust amounts depending on their weight. All are active in the winter and VERY active in the spring/summer/fall. I don't weigh foods. Just give a bit more to a dog that needs it and less (Vala thinks I am starving her right now) to a dog that is getting chunky.
Vala, 2.5 years, GSD, 68# training in SchH. VERY easy dog to keep weight on. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/10_eek.gif[/img]
Brazen, 19 months, GSD, 59#, training in SchH
Nike, almost 7 years, GSD, 68#, spayed, retired though she trains helpers.
Alexis, almost 4, GSD, 79#, spayed, active pet.

I feed chicken backs, leg quarters, split fryers or whole chickens when on sale. Whole turkeys, necks, thighs, wings, backs. Pork riblets (these can be boney or very meaty depending on the part being sold), neck. Veal neck and knuckle bones. Very rarely lamb (too expensive), venison, duck and rabbit. MM consists of beef or pork, beef heart or lamb's heart. Offal is almost always beef liver. My guys don't care for poultry offal unless partially frozen though will usually eat the hearts. Also either free ranging farm eggs or I spend the money on the eggland's best. Canned sardines or mackerel when I can get them and canned oysters at times. They all also feast on field mice and other things they can catch in the summer when I mow the fields. And they do share veggies with me a few times per week and maybe some other table scraps. Veggies will be cooked. Vala also loves fruit. I feed MM and offal in separate meals instead of having RMB, MM and offal, supplements, etc all fed in every meal.

Wednesday morning they all had chicken backs (little meat, soft bone, some offal, fat).

Dinner was 4 eggs, 6000 mg of salmon oils, vit-E, 1/2 can each oysters (a bit more going to Brazen and Vala), and approximately 1/2 # of ground beef (less to Vala).

Thursday breakfast and dinner will be pork riblets (described above).

Tomorrow maybe turkey and another MM/offal meal.

I have fed this way for 8 years and raised two litter and several other pups. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/01_smile.gif[/img]
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena BH AD CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, and gone but not forgotten, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

lhczth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2007, 12:44 PM   #14 (permalink)
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Oops, forgot that I also feed tripe on occasion.
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena BH AD CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, and gone but not forgotten, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

lhczth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2007, 01:11 PM   #15 (permalink)

I have been feeding raw for going on 6 years now and for a variety of reasons feed my crew mainly ground meat/bone. In our area (MI) I have 3 main sources of a HUGE variety of meat/bones mixed (with or without) veggies, tripe, offals.
Typical meals are ground turkey necks, ground chicken frames, ground lamb/bones, ground beef/bones, ground duck/bones, ground pork/bones and some of these have offal mixed in and some do not. Also for muscle meat meals ground heart of both beef and lamb are available. Check out for Bravo distributors near where you live. I also have
a monthly delivery right to my door by Taylor Pond Farms and we have a group of us that coordinate a delivery about every month too from Natural Concepts in OH. These sources
all also have a wide sections of RMB, dog treats and more!
I try and vary the selection and so far all the dogs are thriving..Like Lisa ours get some leftover, some veggies, some fruit..we also use B-Naturals Immume Blend daily and salmon oil daily.

Unfortunately our oldest GSD's now has some health issues making home cooking a better option for her though until this developed she excelled on a raw diet. She ate about
1# and a little more a day and is a very easy keeper.

Navarre is 2.5 years old, VERY active, about 85 pounds and
was eating just over 2# a day but with agility season and
SchH season getting into full swing I wanted to get him a little leaner so he is getting just under 2# a day now and is fine with that...

We also have a little mixed breed that can put on weight looking at food and she gets 2-3 oz. twice a day...
mcavan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2007, 07:22 PM   #16 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I do kibble and one RAW meal a day. Ozzy is about 100lbs and Sandi is 45lbs, she has not gained or lost weight for the last three or four years. Actually she has been around 45lbs within one or two her whole adult life, but the vet was amazed that for three years her weight has been exact lb and oz consistent.
My dogs get three cups of kibble in their bowl each day and most days they finish it.
Three days a week they get RMB, this can be beef bones, chicken bones etc.
Once a week they get fish, usually salmon or shrimp because it is cheap where I live.
Once a week we do organ meat, this is heart, once a month is liver, tongue, gizzard (I know it's not really an organ but it's gross so it gets lumped in there!)
Other than that it's round steaks, round roasts, Ozzy gets about a lb and Sandi half a lb. I'm a farm girl and I take a cleaver to the chickens and other fowl, just hack apart old fryer hens. Ground turkey and beef. Basically when we get a cattlebeast we give them anything we wouldn't eat, for instance a round roast, too tough, round steaks too tough, ground beef, too gross LOL, stewing beef, too cheap a cut of meat and so on.
On the weekend they gets a couple eggs while we have our breakfast. Sometimes a pancake if I'm making pancakes.
Ozzy loves raw veggies and will eat carrots, broccoli, usually whatever I am preparing, (dh and I eat 30% of our meals protein and starches, the remaining 70% is vegetables) Ozzy will eat. Including brussel sprouts!
They always get to lick our plates.
I supplement most meals with shark cartilage, yucca root and beta carotene. The dogs drink distilled water the same as we do, the tap water in this city is truly disgusting, besides it's so hard, every tap in our house with the exception of the outside ones is connected to the softener.
Where I have to give a pill or such I feed them canned Holistic Blend (brand name) their favorite is the vegan one with fruit and veggies. For treats they get seameal biscuits, although I did pick up some caribou bisquits recently from another canadian manufacturer. (Wheat Free! Thank Goodness!)
I don't feed pork, because I will not eat it. To me it is a dirty meat. Generally I don't even like it in my house, but dh does eat it and does enjoy it. That is the only instance the dogs are not permitted to lick the plate. But lots of others feed pork with great success.
ozzymama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2007, 02:23 PM   #17 (permalink)

WOW this is a great thread.

Here is mine. Anika 11 month old female GSD (she will be 1 year old next month woo hoo!! ). She weigh about 55 LBS right now will be 75lbs at the ideal weight. I feed her 2 lbs a day. 1 lb in the morning and 1 lb at night. Her activity level is normal to active. Each meal is consist of 10oz RMB 5oz MM 1oz OM Plus supplements

RMB: Chicken leg quarters, back, necks, and wings (but rarely because they are pricey). Duck wings and duck heads. Rabbits.

MM: Beef Heart, Chicken Heart, Chicken Breast, Pig hearts, pork shoulders.

OM: Beef liver, chicken liver, chicken gizzard, duck gizzard, pork liver.

Supplements: Vitamin C 400iu per day, Salmon Oil 3 pumps a day, Daily Multi-Vitamin as a treat. Eggs 3-4 a week. K-9 Glucosamine 2 teaspoon each meal. Green tripe on occasion.

Please advice if anybody think there is something I can improve. I go to the market about once a month to buy everything. I put each of her meal in a sandwhich bag and freeze it and feed it to her frozen. I weigh each bag exactly 10oz RMB 5oz MM 1oz OM with my digital kitchen scale. I hope this help somebody [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcornSmiley.gif[/img]
JakeN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2007, 09:50 PM   #18 (permalink)

Am new to this but...mainly feeding a young fox terrier but also giving some to a young GSD and a couple days a week border collies. Costs keeps it at just the FT for now. I've been able to keep it under 70 cents shopping around but have limited freezer space. Can usually find meats 59cents to 79 cents a pound by looking mid week at the marked down meats section. From that -
typically chicken leg quarters; beef stew meat, ground beef/turkey; the other day there was some beef rib (although I think DH might hijack that!); salmon; mackrel (he didn't like that); sardines; chicken livers; gizzards. Finding a lot of tips of stuff to add on here. Sometimes rice or oatmeal (small amounts).
Still rely on kibble for the others and part timers. When we can get on some land to raise it they'll all be switched and will get beef, pork, poultry, rabbit, lamb, venison etc.
JanH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2007, 10:11 AM   #19 (permalink)
Master Member

Since this recall I have been struggling with food options for my 3 GSD's. I have a 6 year old female who has a big problem with eating raw, and my other two, 4 year old male has a big problem with gaining weight as does my other 5 year old female.

I desided to try dehydrated raw, so I looked into Honest Kitchen. My dogs love it, and their stools are firm. The package says to feed 2 1/2 cups a day. Now comes the other problem, The calories percup is 640!!!! I was feeding 2 cups of kibble before this (Nutro Lamb and RICE ) and my male still was NOT losing weight. No he is not hypothyroid,
but lots of snow here over the winter so hard for them to get the proper exercize.I am still feeding a good kibble also, So Fritz needs to ger approx 1100 calories a day and the girls get 944, just to maintain their weight.That would only amount to 1 cup of kibble at 463 calories and 12 cuo dehydrated at 320, and 1/2 cup meat at 172 calories.Which totals 955. I cannot feed Hilke poultry as two cannot tolerate it. So beef or venison, lamb,a small amount of turkey (not raw).

This seemd like it is not enough for them somehow ??? Anyone else figured out the caleries ??
Old 04-16-2007, 07:35 AM   #20 (permalink)

Are the calories listed per a cup of REhydrated or DEhydrated food? Big difference in volume there.
Chimanes Spice it Up Piquin (Kaynya) - Chinese Crested
Nator von Triton HIC CGC (Mauser) - LC GSD
Piquins Some Like it Hot (Spike) – Chinese Crested
Piquins Too Hot To Handle - (Fuego) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Wasabi (Sabi) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Super Hot (Clark) - Chinese Crested
Banzai, Cloe, Mocha - Felines Extraordinaire
Neke, Tessa, Remi, Sadie, Riggs, Sasha, Tazer - DK, Mozart, Zoe - Gone but not forgotten
Lauri & The Gang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.