Our Dogs Menus - Page 14 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2011, 08:25 PM   #131 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I have been reading this thread over the last couple days and has been a great amount of help in determining if I am going to do the raw diet. I have researched out the you know what trying to find guidelines on getting started. There is SO much information out there and it's beginning to get overwhelming, haha. In researching I calculated he should be getting about 2.5 lbs of raw food a day, but that seems like a whole lot when I read some of your menus. So instead of driving myself crazy, I thought I would go straight to the source...

Can someone help me get started on switching my GSD to a raw diet. He is 2 years old, 98 lbs of solid muscle, and high energy (he is home while I am at work, goes for 2 long walks a day and plays TONS of fetch and "find," weekends are much more active for him to include dog parks and much socialization.)

Any help getting started would be AMAZING. Thanks guys.
wyoung2153 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2012, 12:55 AM   #132 (permalink)

Hi I am new too the GSD website! And I had recently got a sable shepherd myself, he is on a raw diet, consisting of beef/pork meaty neck bones and a leg/thigh/back quarter of chicken a day. With some eggs, for a 11 week old pup is this a good diet or do I need to change it up any? Any tips would be welcomed!
Hades11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2012, 03:31 PM   #133 (permalink)
jae
Master Member

This thread needs a little gettin' on track! It's really a good one. I try to feed ~2.5lbs a day, fed twice a day.

After beef only for the first 3 weeks (necks, trim, liver, and hearts), #1 and #2 has been the main-stay diet for the past 2 weeks, everything else is starting in the near future. As always the list isn't solid, so if something needs to change, please let me know!

20oz turkey/chicken grind; if no organ in the grind, ~1oz beef liver.

~12oz beef trim, 8oz green tripe or 8oz beef grind, ~1oz beef liver

1 chicken back, 4 turkey hearts, ~1oz beef liver

1 turkey back, ~1oz beef liver

12oz beef heart, 8oz shank

~20oz chicken quarter (taken a whole 7lb chicken and chop it into quarters)

+eggs, eggshell, seaweed calcium supplement, carrots, green beans, yogurt, at my discretion.
jae is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 05:54 AM   #134 (permalink)

Charlie has been on 100% raw for only a week. But the differences are amazing already.

He gets minced meat (can be either lamb,beef,chicken,turkey,rabbit,fish or green tripe) mixed with some veggies twice a day and he has an egg with shell in his food at least three times a week. He gets some yoghurt as well mixed in usually at night time.

How often should i give him oily fish or raw meaty bones?. I'm out and about today and was hoping to get some in.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:12 PM   #135 (permalink)
Banned

I also use Vitamin E 400IU gel caps squeezed out and sometimes (once a week) 500mg Vitamin C anyone else use these supplements to the diet?
SFGSSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 11:18 PM   #136 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superhero View Post
It's funny... I went to my vet when Nyx turned one year and ever vet remarked that sher had some of the most beautiful teeth she's ever seen. Then she was like "wow and her coast is so glossy and she is perfectly healthy" blah blah. I said thank you and she asked which food I am feeding. I told her she eats a mostly raw diet. She frowned and said that she thought it was a bad idea and that her health would suffer. Then she said "well just make sure you don't let her east any chicken bones." I told her that in fact chicken is a staple of her diet, bones and all. I wish I had a picture of her face. How ironic eh?
Yeah I have seen that face before When I see it all I think to myself is "sorry your not going to make a killing off my dog from the Science Diet the manufactuer gives you a kickback on"
SFGSSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2013, 12:05 PM   #137 (permalink)

Default Raw diets

I have a 5 year old GS who is a great dog but he has recently been diagnosed with anal fistullas. The vet suggested I put him on a LID which I did but he it hasnt gotten much better. He sheds terribly and now the vet has put him on prescription hypoallergenic food which is very expensive. I'veread some things on raw diets and I'm wondering if that will help him heal as well as get rid of his allergies (he constantly licks his paws). Is there an easy guide on how to feed a dog a raw diet and how much to feed him. Chief weighs 94 pounds
Chief123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2013, 09:39 PM   #138 (permalink)

Great thread here. Thanks, Laura, for rawdogranch.

My 11 year old lab struggles with licking, so I am gonna start a BARF diet. The only question that I have that does not seem to be answered is what do you do with the eggs? Do you simply crack them on top of whatever else you're putting in the dog bowl along with the shell? Do you blend them with other ingredients? Thanks.
WirelessG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 06:43 PM   #139 (permalink)

Bump

Still wondering about you serve the eggs and the shells.
WirelessG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2013, 01:24 PM   #140 (permalink)
Elite Member

Over the weekend, my neighbors driving by said hello and I see you're spoiling those babies!

I was standing out on the patio with a carton of brown eggs and all three of my dogs sitting waiting for their "treat!" Oh, who can sit soonest, who can sit stillest, who is squirming in his seat now?

I just put the whole egg in their eager mouths, they drop it on the pavement and it cracks and they lap it up. Except for old girl. She just starts chewing as soon as it hits her tongue, haha!! And if the younger two don't eat their shells, you can count on her to make quick of those, as well. Sound like tater chips for dogs!
JackandMattie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.