German Shepherds Forum banner

Quick question about Lamb parts

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  voodoolamb 
#1 ·
I'm picking up the unwanted parts of a lamb from a woman who raises and sells at a local farmers market.

She has the heart, trachea, lung, liver, spleen, stomach and intestines.

My questions: can I feed the stomach and intestines to Sonny?. Is the stomach of the lamb considered tripe?

Do I need to freeze any of these parts to kill off any possible parasites.

I had forgotten that I had asked her to call me if/when she had any unwanted parts so her call was a welcome surprise.

#2 ·
Excellent!

The stomach is tripe. Just grind it or cut it up. I freeze everything first unless it comes out of an FDA inspected facility.

I would NOT feed intestines. Think about what is in there! Ick!

Liver, spleen are organ meat so go lightly on them. I make a grind of liver, kidney and spleen for my dogs.

Trachea I feed as treats. If you have a dehydrator, you can dry them. Or I feed them frozen.

Heart is a muscle meat.

#3 ·
Excellent!

The stomach is tripe. Just grind it or cut it up. I freeze everything first unless it comes out of an FDA inspected facility.

I would NOT feed intestines. Think about what is in there! Ick!

Liver, spleen are organ meat so go lightly on them. I make a grind of liver, kidney and spleen for my dogs.

Trachea I feed as treats. If you have a dehydrator, you can dry them. Or I feed them frozen.

Heart is a muscle meat.
x2 :thumbup: Great score! Personally I find lamb tripe smells better than beef tripe

#6 ·
I feed the intestines. I have seen enough swabs off of other cuts of meat and considering what's on THEM, intestines are no worse lol

Heck, my partner grew up eating them. I've had to learn to prepare them for him for holidays. Gag.

I cut in sections then put them right under the faucet and flush what's inside out. If I have a lot to process I take them outside and use a garden hose.

Intestines have an inner membrane that can be pulled off very easily. If you are really concerned about it, slice up a side and peel the membrane off. Once that membrane is gone the meat you have left has never been in contact with waste material.

I like to stuff the intestines like you would a kong. Then freeze and feed as a frozen chew. Raw sausage chews! Great for teething puppies and a summer cool down. I have lamb dinners in the freezer now, Lamb Intestines stuffed with lamb tripe, lamb heart, goat milk yogurt, mint and Parsley!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.