German Shepherds Forum banner

Whole sale pays off

4K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  gloomydog 
#1 ·
We have a great food (incl. meat) supplier in our area. Today had 30 lb turkey necks and 40 lb chicken backs for just over $60.00. Tripe I get at a local custom butcher: $10.00 per whole tripe. Most expensive is liver and kidney but overall feeding raw is not that expensive for us.
Can recommend searching for whole sale. This one delivers to caterers and restaurants.

#2 ·
I was just figuring this out today. I got 40 pounds of quarters, 30 pounds of turkey necks and 40 pounds of backs for $73.00 from a farm. I was trying to get chicken necks but they were out, the turkey necks are huge. They weigh between 1.5-2 pounds each and are 12-15 inches in length. I have never seen turkey necks that big.

#4 · (Edited)
Even better. How long does that last with your crew? What kinda freezer do you have?
The turkey necks come in sizes. Right now I have them from young turkeys so they are smaller. Sometimes they get me the Tom sized. Huge! Deja devoures them without a problem. She eats them by cutting off one vertebrae at a time. I am still stunned that you don't find anything back in her poop. Along with a chunk of tripe that she only tenderizes but swallows whole, the meal is gone within 5 minutes. My hubby and and I always sit out side with her to watch it. Pure entertainment.

#6 ·
Whole sale suppliers are a great resource. I feed 4 dogs raw, supplements included, for under $100/month. Average prices for me include:

Chicken quarters $0.35/lb
Chicken gizzards $0.70/lb
Chicken liver $0.89/lb
Turkey necks $0.65/lb
Turkey hearts $0.65/lb
Pork heart $0.89/lb
Pork riblets $0.99/lb
Pork cushion $1.15/lb
Beef heart $0.99/lb
Beef liver & sweetbreads $1.09/lb
Beef kidney $0.69/lb

Those are my staples. I also get green tripe, venison, beef, goat, and lamb grinds from a local supplier for $2-$2.50/lb. There are plenty of Asian stores close by with an abundance of organs, fresh fish, duck and chickn feet, etc.

#12 ·
Who is the supplier?

Osito, where in TX are you? I'm in the Rio Grande Valley, and have to rely on HEB, walmart and La Michocana for meats for my two smaller dogs, puppy and 5 cats. My prices seem to be similar to some of yours, even at not-wholesale, but only for chicken and pork, even can get beef hearts and sweetbreads only a bit more expensive than you.

Getting green tripe, anything not resembling a chicken or pig, however, is impossible.

#7 ·
You guys are all so lucky! I'm feeding a commercial raw right now, roughly $120 a month. I've been trying to start making it myself, not for cost purposes but just my piece of mind.. Best price I have figured out myself so far .. 275 a month.. One dog. I search everyday and contact everywhere I can trying to find some good wholesale prices

#16 ·
Holy cow. My butcher is making up a custom meat/organ meat base for me, I buy it in pre-portioned blocks weighted at my specification, and it's about $110/month. Throw in the supplements I have to buy every now and then, and the coconut oil and the vegetables I blend, and it's probably closer to $130/month. I'm doing more work myself but the price tag is lower.

#14 ·
I just found a coop here and I'm so glad! Here are some of the prices.
Pork liver $0.99/lb
Pork trim $1.39/lb
Pork heart $1.09/lb
Chicken necks or backs $.60/lb
Turkey necks $1.09/lb
Beef heart $1.69/lb
Beef liver or kidney $1.09/lb

And I just stocked up on chicken liver ($.89/lb) and chicken quarters ($.29/lb) at my local grocery store!

#17 ·
Go to you local bar that serves things like wings. Ask them who their supplier is. Contact that business. Most likely they will only deliver to businesses. I am fortunate in that the local wholesaler will deliver to me and is smart enough to figure out they have a dog food market. They now have a whole listing of items that people buy for dog food.

Go to your local farmers market and find who is selling eggs. Those people know where your local poultry butchers are! Find the organic farmers and ask them about the necks, feet and livers/hearts.

#18 ·
Wow. I am really envious.

I have had to switch on/off raw because at about $5/lb blended it is really too expensive. (I have to give my small boy at least 2lbs/day or he cries)

Farmers market in my area are really expensive. (Boston Metrowest). Adding the word "farmers market" here seem to immediately jack up prices 50% or more?!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.