German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   B.A.R.F./Raw Feeding (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/b-r-f-raw-feeding/)
-   -   spoiled meat, chicken, liver and heart (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/b-r-f-raw-feeding/484921-spoiled-meat-chicken-liver-heart.html)

lalachka 09-01-2014 04:55 PM

spoiled meat, chicken, liver and heart

70 Attachment(s)
I let a case of meat spoil. it still looks like meat lol. just stinks and is slimy. I'm boiling it all now. is it ok to give?

what happens to meat when it spoils except more bacteria and can that bacteria be killed by boiling.

how long should I boil

carmspack 09-01-2014 05:00 PM

ewwww - false economy- could cost you big bucks when the dog get sick --- throw it out

lalachka 09-01-2014 05:06 PM

70 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by carmspack (Post 5973873)
ewwww - false economy- could cost you big bucks when the dog get sick --- throw it out

even if it's boiled? it's not stinky yet, just has a smell if you smell it. like its not like you open a box and want to die
and isn't blue.

what happens with it that boiling can't kill?

lalachka 09-01-2014 05:07 PM

70 Attachment(s)
but I threw it out. just curious

blackshep 09-02-2014 08:01 AM

I might feed my dog something out of the fridge that is a day or so older than what I'd eat myself, but that's it. Fresh meat only, I would never feed spoiled meat to my dog.

David Winners 09-02-2014 08:36 AM

It's not just about killing the bacteria, but the smell comes from toxins produced by the bacteria. Boiling won't get rid of those.

I know people that feed rotten meat and road kill with no problems (yet), but it's not something I would risk.

lalachka 09-02-2014 12:12 PM

70 Attachment(s)
Oh it was in the fridge,I just kept it there longer than I wanted. And it wasn't spoiled all the way, just starting to stink and slimy. But I threw it away just in case

I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem, I've given him a piece like that before but this time it was a lot of meat and I didn't want to risk it.

lalachka 09-02-2014 12:15 PM

70 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by David Winners (Post 5975705)
It's not just about killing the bacteria, but the smell comes from toxins produced by the bacteria. Boiling won't get rid of those.

I know people that feed rotten meat and road kill with no problems (yet), but it's not something I would risk.

He likes the smell and when I boiled it the smell was gone. I still threw it away, though. I was already doubting and then saw carmen's post and got scared.

But I'm sure it would've been fine. I think I exaggerated how spoiled it was

Jax08 09-02-2014 12:23 PM

I don't feed spoiled meat. I know people that do and have never had a problem. There are people on here that do. I've had dogs drag in road kill and never had an issue.

But I'm not taking the chance.

Blanketback 09-02-2014 12:33 PM

I feed my dog beautiful fresh beef knuckle bones, that I make a special trip to the meat packers to get, just for him. He won't eat them fresh! He buries them and lets them rot! Then he'll dig them back up to enjoy them, afterwards. Yuck!!! I asked my vet if this was ok, can my dog eat bones covered in maggots??? My vet said it was pretty typical and wouldn't hurt him, lol. And thankfully the maggot-covered bone was just in my imagination, lol. They're not even smelly, for some reason, after he digs them up - a delicious canine beef jerky specialty, handed down for generations, lol.